• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

NFL insider Tom Pelissero tweeted that Steichen is a strong internal option for the Bolts. The Athletic’s Michael Lombardi said on the Hammer Dahn Podcast that the Chargers made it clear in the hiring process that they want to keep their offensive coaching staff.

https://boltbeat.com/2021/01/18/la-c...ichen-mistake/
    Wow so of course John Spanos and Telesco decide to again tell the HC to how do their job. Remember they did this with Whisenhunt who they forced Lynn to keep when they hired Lynn as well.

Its dumb stupid requirements like these that the FO bestows upon their HC candidates that we always end up with coaches like Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn instead of the Sean McDermott type coaches.

No wonder Saleh didn’t even wanna do the 2nd interview with the Chargers and decided to accept the Jets job instead.

Seriously fuck off Spanos and Telesco, let Staley bring in whoever he wants and let him have a coaching staff that he wants not what you idiots want.
    Last edited by UglyTruth; 01-19-2021, 01:41 AM.
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your take on Brady was and is incorrect. You tried to point to Belichick as a defensive minded HC as being a huge factor in the development of Brady. I noted that Brady did not have a great season until his 8th year in the league, which is 100% correct. He topped out in the low 90s in QB rating before 2007--good, but definitely not great even in that time frame.

BUF's offensive strategy versus BAL was its best strategy. Allen just struggled in executing what they had executed well all season long. They missed at least two TDs and a FG. They could not run the ball worth crap and proved that by averaging two yards per carry.

Your original post did use the word "saved" and it was applied to the defense and running game, which is hilarious since they never went run heavy until there was 2:41 left in the game.

But Daboll did a great job of calling plays in that game, of making adjustments in that game, and of knowing when it was time to go conservative (with 2:41 left and up two scores while deep in their own territory).

I do not care if other good OCs did not do as well as HCs. Daboll's play calling for BUF has been so good this season (on the level of Reid and Payton) that that alone trumps everything else from every other candidate and it also happens to address our team's biggest weakness.

But that is not what ownership decided and I believe they made a mistake since they did not hire the best candidate.
      Good lord, I don't really get involved in a circlejerk argument just for the sake of it, so this will be my last reply as I can't invest anymore time in this, but...

Your take on Brady was and is incorrect. You tried to point to Belichick as a defensive minded HC as being a huge factor in the development of Brady. I noted that Brady did not have a great season until his 8th year in the league, which is 100% correct. He topped out in the low 90s in QB rating before 2007--good, but definitely not great even in that time frame.
      Brady was a top 10 (8th) QB ranked in the NFL through (and not including) 2007, and won 3 Superbowls in that time span. Prior to 2007, coincidentally the time when pass-friendly rules and QB protections were starting to be instituted league-wide, QBRs above 115 were relatively unheard and not associated with perennial playoff teams. After 2007, and coincidentally Brady's prime years, passing yards and attempts increased dramatically league-wide, and Brady's numbers went up dramatically as well. How can that growth be without the head coach adjusting his approach to league changes, and bringing in the personnel and staff to facilitate changes to scheme and overall offensive philosophy, all of which benefited Brady tremendously? If you still don't think the head coach had a factor in Brady's development, Brady himself states so in an Oprah interview: "I love (Bill Belichick). I love that he's an incredible coach, mentor for me. And he's pushed me in a lot of ways. Like everything, we don't agree on absolutely everything. But that's relationships." https://www.nfl.com/news/5-more-thin...ap300000093762

You can also watch Belichick's "A Football Life" documentary to see how the two interacted and challenged one another, and why that helped both in their respective careers.

BUF's offensive strategy versus BAL was its best strategy. Allen just struggled in executing what they had executed well all season long. They missed at least two TDs and a FG. They could not run the ball worth crap and proved that by averaging two yards per carry.

Your original post did use the word "saved" and it was applied to the defense and running game, which is hilarious since they never went run heavy until there was 2:41 left in the game."
      My recollection is different from yours, and this article seems to support my case: https://sports.yahoo.com/instant-ana...053220959.html

As to the gameplan and playcalling by Daboll, I can honestly state that going all-pass for the majority of this game while there is a high wind advisory in effect didn't seem to be the best approach, and the stats for the offensive unit bare that out. The adjustments to get Devin Singletary involved were necessary, but should have been incorporated earlier in the game. Yes, they won, but it appears the Bills defensive unit is the one that should be holding up the victory sign, with Devin Singletary getting an honorable mention as finally incorporating him on runs and short passes led them to eventually scoring their only offensive TD in the game.

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

When was the last time the Chargers were the most dominant team in the NFL who was there head coach? Marty Schottenhiemer that's who. A defensive minded HC but every coach hired since then have been offensive minded and where has that gotten us? Nowhere, There's one thing that you can never change in the NFL and that is Offense wins games but defense wins championships. I do hope he retains Pep Hamilton and maybe promotes him to Offensive coordinator.I think people were to enamored of us getting an Offensive minded HC because of Herbert but if Coach Staley can hire the right kind of people especially offensive coordinators then that's all that counts right. A good headcoach will always surround himself with smart people. The guy comes from a good family tree of HC. I am kind of intrigued to what he had to say what he has in plan for Herbert. The question is will he switch us back to a 3-4.

Comment

• Inforfun
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Wow so of course John Spanos and Telesco decide to again tell the HC to how do their job. Remember they did this with Whisenhunt who they forced Lynn to keep when they hired Lynn as well.

Its dumb stupid requirements like these that the FO bestows upon their HC candidates that we always end up with coaches like Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn instead of the Sean McDermott type coaches.

No wonder Saleh didn’t even wanna do the 2nd interview with the Chargers and decided to accept the Jets job instead.

Seriously fuck off Spanos and Telesco, let Staley bring in whoever he wants and let him have a coaching staff that he wants not what you idiots want.
          Spanos also wants to call plays from his booth. I agree that your all in on the coach and he should puts his staff together, but since he is a new HC with no experience let Herbert grow another year with Current OC. when your setting rookie records with very little turnovers sometimes you hire someone to fix the broken side....defense.

it’s going to be several years before they can complete with Andy Reid Mahomes.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Tillery lines up a lot of 3 tech. If he wasn't winning inside, I am not sure how line up outside is going to help schematically. Tillery is a great physical set of tools, but not a very good player. Jones is pretty much the same.

I think they have to get a better pass rusher to line up opposite Bosa. Nwosu is a fine situational guy and a decent base 34 OLB outside of Bosa, but he had a lot of 1 on 1's and didn't do that much.
            I don't see Tillery/JJones as fits for our defense. They do not anchor. They are one gappers with no usefulness in 4i.

Staley will use them differently and get someone else. We need EDGE to go with Nwosu + two gap IDL.

Additionally, we need to decide how we will deploy our DBs. More Man traits are needed.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I get this :banghead:, truly I do. My guess is that one of the things the ownership and Telesco loved about Staley is that he took the existing defensive system (Wade Phillips), and tweaked it to bring the best out of his players. That's exactly what we need to do. We have talent, but need focus. We need to have change, without pulling the rug from under a young team. If all we do in the draft is pick up an average left tackle, we'll be a much better team. If all we do is keep our best players on the field (injuries), we'll be a much better team.

Hope springs eternal!

Comment

• Lyth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                With regards to the bolded part, I think while they would have wanted someone to help further develop Herbert, it may have dawned on them that it was losing strategy after trying to do the same thing for Philip with Norv, McCoy, and Lynn. The aim of those last three head coaches was to help Philip first and foremost. But it didn't work out. So maybe this time, it's about finding a guy who can not only help Herbert but also the defense and ST as well. Plus, it helps that unlike the others, Staley had a reputation for being forward thinking and into analytics.
                As General Manager Tom Telesco said they would, the Chargers kept an open mind by hiring Brandon Staley, an innovative thinker and strong leader.

That does make sense. If we just had average ST play in the last 8 years it could easily have translated into more wins, playoff games, and playoff wins. How many close games did we lose that had some sort of ST disaster?

Just an opinion, but it does seem like HC's from the defensive side have better ST. Not sure what it is but they seem to have more energy. It's your backups playing so you're not going to win ST with talent. It's just effort.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I don’t buy it from Lombardi. The closest thing is TT saying he would recommend someone like Pep to stay. Right now the only guys listed as still on staff on the website are Campen and Alfredo.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t buy it from Lombardi. The closest thing is TT saying he would recommend someone like Pep to stay. Right now the only guys listed as still on staff on the website are Campen and Alfredo.
                    TT was very clear that he had recommendations on who he thought would be good for the staff, but the final decision was up to the new coach, just like with Lynn and McCoy.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Just remember guys like Shefter, Kirwan and others all said the Chargers were hiring Daboll, it was a done deal, and Daboll already had his staff. And they were dead wrong. Chargers do one thing well...they keep secrets. I highly doubt Lombardi is speaking on facts vs his opinions of what might be happening. Besides, Staley's first hire is the very impressive TE coach from the Raiders so that sort of undermines Lombardi's intel.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Deano drinkin' Stan's milkshake.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Good lord, I don't really get involved in a circlejerk argument just for the sake of it, so this will be my last reply as I can't invest anymore time in this, but...

Brady was a top 10 (8th) QB ranked in the NFL through (and not including) 2007, and won 3 Superbowls in that time span. Prior to 2007, coincidentally the time when pass-friendly rules and QB protections were starting to be instituted league-wide, QBRs above 115 were relatively unheard and not associated with perennial playoff teams. After 2007, and coincidentally Brady's prime years, passing yards and attempts increased dramatically league-wide, and Brady's numbers went up dramatically as well. How can that growth be without the head coach adjusting his approach to league changes, and bringing in the personnel and staff to facilitate changes to scheme and overall offensive philosophy, all of which benefited Brady tremendously? If you still don't think the head coach had a factor in Brady's development, Brady himself states so in an Oprah interview: "I love (Bill Belichick). I love that he's an incredible coach, mentor for me. And he's pushed me in a lot of ways. Like everything, we don't agree on absolutely everything. But that's relationships." https://www.nfl.com/news/5-more-thin...ap300000093762

You can also watch Belichick's "A Football Life" documentary to see how the two interacted and challenged one another, and why that helped both in their respective careers.

My recollection is different from yours, and this article seems to support my case: https://sports.yahoo.com/instant-ana...053220959.html

As to the gameplan and playcalling by Daboll, I can honestly state that going all-pass for the majority of this game while there is a high wind advisory in effect didn't seem to be the best approach, and the stats for the offensive unit bare that out. The adjustments to get Devin Singletary involved were necessary, but should have been incorporated earlier in the game. Yes, they won, but it appears the Bills defensive unit is the one that should be holding up the victory sign, with Devin Singletary getting an honorable mention as finally incorporating him on runs and short passes led them to eventually scoring their only offensive TD in the game.

What part of the Bills could not run the ball against the Ravens do you not understand? What part of the game plan was great, but Allen was slightly off do you not understand? The stats for the offense do not reflect that running the ball more would have been a better approach. They averaged two yards per carry. Daboll knew going into the game that the run game would be ineffective. He just mixed in runs to try keep BAL honest. Moving the ball some through the passing game is better than moving the ball none through the running game.

Nobody is saying that BUF's defense did not play well. They scored more points than the Ravens did on offense. But your original suggestion that the ground game saved them was and is asinine.

You suggested that Belichick was hugely responsible for Brady's development. Brady did not have a great season until his 8th year in the league and after McDaniels became the OC. Being in the top 10 is good, not great, just as I said. And to be clear, nobody is saying Belichick did not help Brady develop, but it was McDaniels and his system that brought out the best in Brady.

That is why Brady's development was delayed and did not follow the normal career arc for QBs. Just as I stated, your Belichick example of a great defensive coach and a QB actually supports my position since it took the great offensive mind in McDaniels to draw out Brady's best.

The Patriots as a team won 3 Super Bowls. Jim Plunkett's Raiders and Eli Manning's Giants won two. Trent Dilfer's Ravens won one. Being on Super Bowl winning teams by itself says the same thing about the greatness of all of those QBs--nothing. That being on a Super Bowl winning team means anything about how good, great, average or terrible a player is arguably the single greatest mistake made by fans in all of sports. The issue is how Brady performed, not how his team performed. Nobody is saying that the Patriots did not have strong teams in the seasons in which they won Super Bowls.

Regarding rule changes in Brady's first 8 years, in 2002, helmet to helmet contact against a QB on a change of possession was not allowed. In 2006, avoidable low hits to the QB were outlawed. In 2007, the penalty for illegal cut blocks against receivers was increased from 5 to 15 yards. Contrary to your suggestion, none of these rules were primary movers in the evolution of the passing game. Passer friendly rules did change the game, but your timing as it relates to Brady and his development is simply all wrong.

Lastly, I could care less what a player or coach says in some made for television fluff piece or interview. Most players and coaches know not to air their dirty laundry in public, so most of their comments regarding the greatness of their counterparts need to be taken with a grain of salt and not accepted as gospel.

Comment

Working...
                          X