• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-man
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Let's keep the real soul & funk in San Diego...

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    Cal-i-forn-ya ... Super Chargers.
    There can be only one Chargers...and I really hope folks in San Diego can figure out how to keep em.

But all the powers that be need not candy ass this thing...they really need to put the petal to the metal and go all the way if that's ever going to be possible...

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
      I wasn't a big fan of that either, however it has worked and is part of my reasoning... TTK, Why can't we be regional? I think you would be surprised how many SD Chargers fans there are in OC and Riverside (Which isn't LA in any way, shape or form [minus the almighty TV of course])

People confuse the fan base and the TV market. Currently the Chargers are in TV market Heaven as they have both LA and San Diego. Any team moving into LA takes a portion of that market away, more so if said team is AFC.

That is why I say the Chargers embrace the hell outta their contiguous counties and go regional NOW. Build a significant fan base in OC and Riverside and if/when there is a competing football team in said market, the Chargers will have a dog in the fight to at least stake a share in said TV Market. They must, at all cost ensure that an AFC team does not move into the area or me and Rich will have to take road trips to the away games as well. #dangit
      I'm all in with this. I can live with SoCal Chargers, and it really is a wise and sound business move, IMO. I think there is money to made with such a move, if Spanos has the nads to go for it. He could improve the value of his team and take them from "small market, sleepy town San Diego" to a much larger market and regional power house. What I can't or won't deal with is LA Chargers.
      sigpic

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        I'm all in with this. I can live with SoCal Chargers, and it really is a wise and sound business move, IMO. I think there is money to made with such a move, if Spanos has the nads to go for it. He could improve the value of his team and take them from "small market, sleepy town San Diego" to a much larger market and regional power house. What I can't or won't deal with is LA Chargers.
        Not seeing the difference between So Cal and L.A., they lose their regional identity if they rebrand out of San Diego.

Why is it that SF and both NY teams (and even the Rams) can play outside of their city, retain their brand, but San Diego can't?

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          100% agree especially with the part in Bold. As I have noted, OC and Riverside are far from LA. Embracing them as part of the Chargers region would be a very smart move and 'could' help protect portions of the TV market that they currently own.

The regional Chargers topic was talked about this morning by Dan Silio and Joe Totino on 1090, dude might be reading our board. (They used California Chargers, not SoCal Chargers).

Silio is missing the point a bit however. He still thinks this is about seats and ticket sales. The Chargers are squawking at any move to LA because they currently own that TV Market. If the Chargers are on TV in San Diego, they are on TV in Los Angeles, which is huge.

After the Rams and Duhs left LA, it took the Chargers a very long time to establish some sort of foot hold in this region, I'm sure they fear that any team moving in will negate some portion of the foot hold they have in the LA TV Market. This is the Chargers dog in the fight and its a very good dog, I just don't know how much support they will garner from the rest of the owners.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            Not seeing the difference between So Cal and L.A., they lose their regional identity if they rebrand out of San Diego.

Why is it that SF and both NY teams (and even the Rams) can play outside of their city, retain their brand, but San Diego can't?
            (1) San Diego is the largest melting pot of large cities in the United States (AKA, Nobody is from there).
            (2) San Diego is a little cul-de-sac at the bottom of the corner of our country. We are bordered by 3 counties, and 1 country. Beyond OC is another county that is the polar opposite of San Diego (LA).
            (3) So Cal residents are very proud, and a person from San Diego would never claim they are from LA. A person from OC, ensures they note they live in Orange County and not LA. The one common bond that everyone in the major counties south of the grapevine have is that we are from SoCal and not NoCal. Give the OC, IV and Riverside people some territorial stake in the game and call us the SoCal Chargers.
            (4) IMO, It all really comes down to TV Markets and the share that the Chargers currently have and would lose if a team moves into the LA TV Market. If an AFC team moved to LA, the Chargers would no longer be on TV in LA (which is the 2nd largest TV market). OC and Riverside fall into that market. They need to establish a real following in these locales to prohibit any team from taking a share to what is currently their regional market.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

(1) San Diego is the largest melting pot of large cities in the United States (AKA, Nobody is from there).
              (2) San Diego is a little cul-de-sac at the bottom of the corner of our country. We are bordered by 3 counties, and 1 country. Beyond OC is another county that is the polar opposite of San Diego (LA).
              (3) So Cal residents are very proud, and a person from San Diego would never claim they are from LA. A person from OC, ensures they note they live in Orange County and not LA. The one common bond that everyone in the major counties south of the grapevine have is that we are from SoCal and not NoCal. Give the OC, IV and Riverside people some territorial stake in the game and call us the SoCal Chargers.
              (4) IMO, It all really comes down to TV Markets and the share that the Chargers currently have and would lose if a team moves into the LA TV Market. If an AFC team moved to LA, the Chargers would no longer be on TV in LA (which is the 2nd largest TV market). OC and Riverside fall into that market. They need to establish a real following in these locales to prohibit any team from taking a share to what is currently their regional market.
              The Chargers are claiming they don't want to lose the market share they already have. A market share they've achieved as the SAN DIEGO Chargers. If these same folks from OC, who will not claim LA as their own, had a team in their vicinity, why would a bone need to be thrown via a name change? They're already onboard. I'm not seeing your argument here, there's already a fan base and building a venue there is good enough. Keep the brand.

That said, my first choice is getting a deal done here.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                The Chargers are claiming they don't want to lose the market share they already have. A market share they've achieved as the SAN DIEGO Chargers. If these same folks from OC, who will not claim LA as their own, had a team in their vicinity, why would a bone need to be thrown via a name change? They're already onboard. I'm not seeing your argument here, there's already a fan base and building a venue there is good enough. Keep the brand.

That said, my first choice is getting a deal done here.
                Here meaning San Diego County is my 1st, 2nd and 3rd [...] Choice. SoCal Chargers isn't my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice either, but may be the way we have to go "IF" we want (have to) to defend our share of the market.

I bet the Bostonians were against the name change to New England as well... Change is never easy, and I hope we never have to make that change, but if it means, that (1) LA will not be in the name, and (2) they stay local, then I can live with the SoCal Chargers brand. I will NEVER live with the LA Chargers Brand....

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Here meaning San Diego County is my 1st, 2nd and 3rd [...] Choice. SoCal Chargers isn't my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice either, but may be the way we have to go "IF" we want (have to) to defend our share of the market.

I bet the Bostonians were against the name change to New England as well... Change is never easy, and I hope we never have to make that change, but if it means, that (1) LA will not be in the name, and (2) they stay local, then I can live with the SoCal Chargers brand. I will NEVER live with the LA Chargers Brand....
                  Again, I'm with you TBF.

The SoCal Chargers thing is only a fall back position, a compromise that I personally could learn to live with. First and foremost I want to see the team work something out in SD. Anything to keep them out of LA. A move to LA means I turn in my membership card, post my own "Goodbye to the board" thread, cancel Sunday Ticket and find something else to do with my Sundays.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Go Rivers!

Comment

• TABF
                      Por debajo del promedio
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoCal
                      • Send PM

Does someone have the cliff notes for stinkys last post?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Does someone have the cliff notes for stinkys last post?
                        Yeah... "Nothing you haven't read or heard of before"

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Notthing you havnt red or herd beefor
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment