• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

Rank Your Top 4 Coaching Candidates From The "Requested For Interviews" List

Even though there may be more names released later, seems very likely that the next HC of the Chargers is going be someone from this list. I think it is important that we see how each HC candidate sounds like when talking about the game. Being a HC isn't just about drawing up creating plays anymore, it's about being a leader of men and requires having excellent communication skills. Many coaches who are great with the Xs and Os but suck personality and communication wise have failed miserably in the NFL. Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia are the two that come to mind from recent history.

Watch 30-1 min at least of each of videos below before making your list of your most desired HC candidate is. Who do you think has the required interpersonal skills to be a fierce leader which will compliment their experience and the Xs and Os which give us a competitive advantage?

*btw of course we aren't gonna be able to make a full judgement on any of these guys based on a short clip but I figured it's better than nothing. It's kinda cool to see how these guys talk as opposed to just seeing their pics and names.

Robert Saleh, Niners DC (my personal fave choice)

SPOILER

Arthur Smith, Titans OC

SPOILER

Matt Eberflus, Colts DC

SPOILER

Joe Brady, Panthers OC

SPOILER

Brian Daboll, Bills OC

SPOILER

Brandon Staley, Rams DC

SPOILER

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC

SPOILER

Not gonna do Jason Garrett because I refuse to believe that he's a legit candidate but if you want there's plenty of his interview clips on YouTube. Meyer isn't an official interview request yet so didn't do that one either.

My top 4 choices of this list (in order) would be

#1. Robert Saleh - He's a great leader and believes in doing whatever it takes to win. His aggressive mentality on defense makes me believe he won't be conservative offensively either and would be the type of coach to want to run the score up, not just run out the clock after getting a lead. I believe he can poach and bring some of the excellent offense coaches under Shanahan with him.
    #2. Brandon Staley - Most underrated coach of the group but he's McVay of defense, an innovative defensive coach. He's similar to Brady but I have Staley ranked above only because Staley has more NFL experience.
    #3. Joe Brady - Basically another McVay. Brilliant offensive mind but he's super raw. Watching his interviews (above) he seems like a bit of an introvert which isn't ideal for HC. Has the most potential of all coaches we are interviewing though and can perhaps the most innovative coach we've ever had. The guy is that smart. If he can bring in an experienced staff with him then it would be a home run.
    #4. Brian Daboll - For some reason, he's the one guy most Chargers fans on all social media formats seem to want. He shows promise with the work he's done with Josh Allen but he also was irrelevant until this past season. Could be a 1 yr wonder. His offense seems to be a gimmic offense as well requiring the QB to run more often than not and this isn't a good idea in the longrun when considering how important QB durability is. He also struggled as a coach being on the sidelines and had to move to the booth this season to be successful...a HC has to be on the sidelines so not sure how well he could do in that capacity.

What's yours?
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Good critical take on Daboll...I still like him, but good to know more about what I am buying.

Daboll
    Saleh
    Staley
    Smith....I guess. After the top 3, I dont really care...
    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Daboll

Saleh
      Bieniemy
      Garrett

the rest - please no

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Awesome our 400th coaching thread.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Saleh- Tough aggressive mentality that this team needs. Our defense has talent, we need this guy to organize it and put it together into a cohesive unit.

Daboll- If we truly want to build around JH, this seems to be the guy to start it with.

Smith- I don't know much about him other than the huge holes I see DH run through each week and the fact that he turned Tannehill/AJ into a top QB/WR combo in such a short time. Would not mind him working with JH,KA and Ek.

Meyer-I am a fan of the guy (I am Utah season ticket holder) and love the all-in mentality of his coaching style but I do question the lack of NFL experience and the threat of him bailing to the safer TV waters.

I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Selah
            Daboll
            Harbaugh
            Meyer?????? I dont actually think hes an option with our cheap ass owners.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
              Selah
              Daboll
              Harbaugh
              I admit - I like Daboll. Of the 8 names - he really is the only one that I really like. The others I have varying degrees from "tolerable" to "oh no, not this young up and comer crap again"

But the Chargers are primed to win - go get me Harbaugh and push this thing for the next 4-5 years.

The roster has the stars
              they have the draft picks
              they have cap space to tweak a few things

Go win this damn thing with the right damn coach. Hell, if you are hiring Joe Brady or Arthur Smith or Jason garrett - you may as well have kept Lynn and just fired Bradley and get a new ST coach

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                Selah
                Daboll
                Harbaugh
                Yep...not only that, but I doubt someone like Meyer would want to leave the college scene, where he used to calling the shots (even though he's currently retired), to sit at the feet of Baby Spanos and Deano...
                Last edited by Topcat; 01-06-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...not only that, but I doubt someone like Meyer would want to leave his throne as king of Alabama, to sit at the feet of Baby Spanos and Deano...
                  Meyer isn’t king of anything right now. That’s why he’s available to interview.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Meyer isn’t king of anything right now. That’s why he’s available to interview.
                    Oops...meant Ohio State, where he USED to be king...those big college coaches are like kings with total control over players, etc...

Comment

• therber219
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Iowa
                      • Send PM

I really like the idea of Meyer, but there is no way of knowing how long his health will hold out before he calls it quits again. The more I look at the others, the better I like Saleh, and what he could bring to the defensive side of things. If they went that route, I'd be OK if he kept Steichen and Pep to handle the offense.. It's a work in progress, but it wasn't bad, and another year together will make it better.

So if it's not Meyer or Saleh, then I would look at Daboll or Harbaugh.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                        #4. Brian Daboll - For some reason, he's the one guy most Chargers fans on all social media formats seem to want. He shows promise with the work he's done with Josh Allen but he also was irrelevant until this past season. Could be a 1 yr wonder. His offense seems to be a gimmic offense as well requiring the QB to run more often than not and this isn't a good idea in the longrun when considering how important QB durability is. He also struggled as a coach being on the sidelines and had to move to the booth this season to be successful...a HC has to be on the sidelines so not sure how well he could do in that capacity.
                        For Daboll (and all the other coordinators who have never been a HC before), unless he is planning on being the OC as well as the HC, where he was most comfortable calling plays is not relevant as our HC. Also, what offense he ran in Buffalo may or may not be what he runs in LA with a new offensive coordinator. He needs to be a leader, build a good staff and know how to manage a game.

I would take Meyer first, but of the guys listed above my order would be:

Smith (the more I read about him the more I like him)
                        Daboll
                        Saleh
                        Bieniemy

Comment

Working...
                        X