Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    some people sound like Buffalo fans more than Charger fans
    So, after watching our team play and rooting for our team as I die hard fan for over 46 years, and while being an out of the area season ticket holder for a number of seasons, I am now suddenly a Buffalo fan because I can recognize the accomplishments of their OC?!

Sorry, but to the extent your comment is directed toward me, it is ridiculous.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You made Bell sound like some sort of guy from nowhere that suddenly came in and starred for the Broncos because of Shanahan's greatness. The only problem with your suggestion is that none of it is true.

Bell did not come from nowhere. He was drafted 4 years earlier by the Broncos as an early second round pick. His measurables included a 4.37 40 time, a 38.5 inch vertical, 25 bench press reps (for a 5' 11", 213 pound player), and a 1.54 10 yard split. By comparison, LaDainian Tomlinson posted a 4.43 40 time, a 40.5 inch vertical, 18 bench press reps and a 1.52 10 yards split. Clearly, when a RB's measurables resemble LT's, that RB has tons of natural talent. He was not some sort of coaching miracle. That is why his pedigree matters.

Further, he was not in the NFL when Denver signed him not due to lack of ability, but rather an incident that happened at the end of his time with Detroit involving him taking another player's luggage.

Nobody wanted him because of that (including Denver) because of the obvious potential locker room issue his presence might create as a guy who would take other people's stuff, but Denver knew where to find him 3 months later when they were desperate.

Bell actually finished his career with a 4.9 YPC average, which is pretty darn good for a player with a sample size well over 500 carries over multiple seasons.

Not only did Bell only have the third most rushing yards in the game you mentioned, he also would not have topped 100 yards if Denver had used him at the same rate as they did in the first half (6 carries for 49 yards). So much for running up and down the field even if Denver would not have been forced to pass the ball. Nobody will be mistaking Bell's game for the second coming of Adrian Peterson's monster game against us the season before.

At the end of the day, you have cited a sub-100 yard performance by a physically gifted RB that had experience in the team's system against a bad defense as your great evidence that a ground game can be manufactured out of nowhere. Your position is laughable on that basis as well as on the basis that a one or two game sample size would prove anything about anything.

Bell's game and Shanahan's coaching certainly have nothing to with Daboll's performance as BUF's OC.

Daboll called the only kind of game that gave his team a chance to win against either BAL or KC. Their running game was ineffective, so Daboll knew that he would be wasting downs if we went to it any more than would be necessary to keep the opponent anywhere close to honest. It was a bad break that Allen played poorly in both games. That poor play coupled with the poor performance of BUF's defense in giving up 38 points is why BUF lost. The play calling, though, was spot on in both games under the circumstances. If Allen and/or the defense had played well instead of poorly, BUF had a chance to win that game thanks to Daboll's game plan.

The only significance of citing "garbage time" is to suggest that the output was somehow tainted under the assumption that the defense substituted in backups and/or played a prevent defense. Absent that showing, which did not appear to be present in that game, both teams were still playing regular players and regular defenses just as if the game had been tied in 4th quarter whether or not KC was up by 1, 20 or 100 points.

And even with that said, BUF was fully in the game until the failed two point conversion left the margin at 17 after BUF's final TD of the game. After that, BUF only kicked a FG. Even if I agreed that those 3 points were garbage time points as that term is usually used, and I do not, it was all of 3 points.

And even if I faulted Daboll for his postseason play calling, and I do not, going forward, any reasonable should be asking which is more likely--what happened in the two game sample that was challenged or what happened in the 17 other games. Clearly, the larger sample size should be less impacted by outlier performances and should be more reliable. And for that reason as well, your attack on Daboll makes very little sense.
      In those days it seemed who ever Shanahan brought in at RB has good success. Orlandis Gary had an 1100 yard season.
      Rueben Droughns did nothing then had to start one year in Denver and had a career year with over 1200 yards.

Bell did well too but that season you two are talking about was his last in the league.
      Clinton Portis best seasons were at Denver.
      Seems the only guy that got a chance in Denver in those days that didn't work out was Maurice Clarett.

As for Daboll, I don't care. Their run game wasn't that good and this is the first time his offenses has been above average so I'm not sad we didn't get him.

Let's see what we can do with Staley and staff.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-28-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

You made Bell sound like some sort of guy from nowhere that suddenly came in and starred for the Broncos because of Shanahan's greatness. The only problem with your suggestion is that none of it is true.

Bell did not come from nowhere. He was drafted 4 years earlier by the Broncos as an early second round pick. His measurables included a 4.37 40 time, a 38.5 inch vertical, 25 bench press reps (for a 5' 11", 213 pound player), and a 1.54 10 yard split. By comparison, LaDainian Tomlinson posted a 4.43 40 time, a 40.5 inch vertical, 18 bench press reps and a 1.52 10 yards split. Clearly, when a RB's measurables resemble LT's, that RB has tons of natural talent. He was not some sort of coaching miracle. That is why his pedigree matters.

Further, he was not in the NFL when Denver signed him not due to lack of ability, but rather an incident that happened at the end of his time with Detroit involving him taking another player's luggage.

Nobody wanted him because of that (including Denver) because of the obvious potential locker room issue his presence might create as a guy who would take other people's stuff, but Denver knew where to find him 3 months later when they were desperate.

Bell actually finished his career with a 4.9 YPC average, which is pretty darn good for a player with a sample size well over 500 carries over multiple seasons.

Not only did Bell only have the third most rushing yards in the game you mentioned, he also would not have topped 100 yards if Denver had used him at the same rate as they did in the first half (6 carries for 49 yards). So much for running up and down the field even if Denver would not have been forced to pass the ball. Nobody will be mistaking Bell's game for the second coming of Adrian Peterson's monster game against us the season before.

At the end of the day, you have cited a sub-100 yard performance by a physically gifted RB that had experience in the team's system against a bad defense as your great evidence that a ground game can be manufactured out of nowhere. Your position is laughable on that basis as well as on the basis that a one or two game sample size would prove anything about anything.

Bell's game and Shanahan's coaching certainly have nothing to with Daboll's performance as BUF's OC.

Daboll called the only kind of game that gave his team a chance to win against either BAL or KC. Their running game was ineffective, so Daboll knew that he would be wasting downs if we went to it any more than would be necessary to keep the opponent anywhere close to honest. It was a bad break that Allen played poorly in both games. That poor play coupled with the poor performance of BUF's defense in giving up 38 points is why BUF lost. The play calling, though, was spot on in both games under the circumstances. If Allen and/or the defense had played well instead of poorly, BUF had a chance to win that game thanks to Daboll's game plan.

The only significance of citing "garbage time" is to suggest that the output was somehow tainted under the assumption that the defense substituted in backups and/or played a prevent defense. Absent that showing, which did not appear to be present in that game, both teams were still playing regular players and regular defenses just as if the game had been tied in 4th quarter whether or not KC was up by 1, 20 or 100 points.

And even with that said, BUF was fully in the game until the failed two point conversion left the margin at 17 after BUF's final TD of the game. After that, BUF only kicked a FG. Even if I agreed that those 3 points were garbage time points as that term is usually used, and I do not, it was all of 3 points.

And even if I faulted Daboll for his postseason play calling, and I do not, going forward, any reasonable should be asking which is more likely--what happened in the two game sample that was challenged or what happened in the 17 other games. Clearly, the larger sample size should be less impacted by outlier performances and should be more reliable. And for that reason as well, your attack on Daboll makes very little sense.
        You spent 7 paragraphs talking about Tatum Bell but only said one relevant thing. The Broncos were desperate and got a guy at the mall.

Enjoy the Bills in 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You spent 7 paragraphs talking about Tatum Bell but only said one relevant thing. The Broncos were desperate and got a guy at the mall.

Enjoy the Bills in 2021
          I spent several paragraphs discussing Bell because your discussion of him was total BS in so many ways that it took multiple paragraphs to describe them all.

I do not care about the Bills. I did and do think Daboll would have been a good fit for our team as a play calling head coach based upon his success this season with Buffalo and his tactical approaches in games.

But Staley is our head coach and Lombardi's run/pass distribution in the past as an OC (7th and 1st in pass percentage) gives me some cause for optimism moving forward.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

I spent several paragraphs discussing Bell because your discussion of him was total BS in so many ways that it took multiple paragraphs to describe them all.

I do not care about the Bills. I did and do think Daboll would have been a good fit for our team as a play calling head coach based upon his success this season with Buffalo and his tactical approaches in games.

But Staley is our head coach and Lombardi's run/pass distribution in the past as an OC (7th and 1st in pass percentage) gives me some cause for optimism moving forward.
            You have mastered the art of typing a lot of words without saying anything germaine. I thought Daboll was a good fit. I bought the hype. Having seen his team play a few playoff games I realized the error of my ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You have mastered the art of typing a lot of words without saying anything germaine. I thought Daboll was a good fit. I bought the hype. Having seen his team play a few playoff games I realized the error of my ways.
              Do you mean other than completely refuting your ridiculous assertions?

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Do you mean other than completely refuting your ridiculous assertions?
                Much better!!!

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Just an observation about the two teams in the Super Bowl.

The Chargers played Mahomes and the Chiefs in Herbert's surprise first start and dominated for much of the game, taking the Chiefs to OT, and if Lynn had not opted to punt in OT might have won that game.

The Chargers played Brady the Bucs in Herbert's third ever start. Herbert threw 3 TD passes to practice squad players and dominated for parts of that game too.

The Chargers have the talent to play up to the level of both of these teams who are playing for the Lombardi next weekend. If Staley and the staff he has assembled provide superior coaching, and with Herbert going into his second season, there is no limit to what this team can accomplish next season.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Just an observation about the two teams in the Super Bowl.

The Chargers played Mahomes and the Chiefs in Herbert's surprise first start and dominated for much of the game, taking the Chiefs to OT, and if Lynn had not opted to punt in OT might have won that game.

The Chargers played Brady the Bucs in Herbert's third ever start. Herbert threw 3 TD passes to practice squad players and dominated for parts of that game too.

The Chargers have the talent to play up to the level of both of these teams who are playing for the Lombardi next weekend. If Staley and the staff he has assembled provide superior coaching, and with Herbert going into his second season, there is no limit to what this team can accomplish next season.
                    Clean up a few things and this team is an easy 10-6 record or better which in most seasons is good enough for an invite!

:coffee:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Clean up a few things and this team is an easy 10-6 record or better which in most seasons is good enough for an invite!

:coffee:
                      3 plays 2020 season could have changed Chargers record from 7-9 to 10-6 and no coaching difference at all. Add in coaching changes could have made it 12-4

Comment

Working...
                      X