• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yep. Thats why i suggested cutting MW weeks ago and saving 15M. He can do it all imo. No need to bring Henry back either. Thats 25M in savings. Put that in the OL.
    Fleet, if we cut HH, who would u draft or sign to replace him? I like Parham and Anderson, but they're still a bit early in development...

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Fleet, if we cut HH, who would u draft or sign to replace him? I like Parham and Anderson, but they're still a bit early in development...
      Hunter is the complete package for tight end as he can stay home and block a little bit for certain plays. I'd rather keep him over Trai Turner.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

True but hindsight being what it is, is pick #13 a bad investment if you get any of those 3 dudes?
        Sure you can make that argument. I guess I see it as a probability question. In other words, how often are first round TEs successful? For example, a lot of people wanted OJ Howard in 2017 as a first round pick. But he hasn’t exactly blown it up in Tampa compared to a guy like Kittle. Another example is big MW. I like the guy but we could have done better by drafting a receiver after the first round. I just think it not only has to be BPA but it has to be a BPA on a premium position pick if we’re drafting at 13th. Either that or try to trade down.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Sure you can make that argument. I guess I see it as a probability question. In other words, how often are first round TEs successful? For example, a lot of people wanted OJ Howard in 2017 as a first round pick. But he hasn’t exactly blown it up in Tampa compared to a guy like Kittle. Another example is big MW. I like the guy but we could have done better by drafting a receiver after the first round. I just think it not only has to be BPA but it has to be a BPA on a premium position pick if we’re drafting at 13th. Either that or try to trade down.
          I get what you saying and mostly agree.
          I think elite impact prospects, regardless of position, should be taken whenever available/within reach.
          Is Pitts that high ranked of a prospect? Probably on some boards.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Everyone talks about taking BPA in the draft. But I think it’s more that it’s broken down by ranking in the first round:
            1) BPA at a premium position (OT, Edge Rusher, Corner)

2) BPA at PON

I don’t think BPA should include skill positions like receivers, tight end, and especially RBs unless it’s at the bottom of the 1st round or they’re generational talents. It’s times like these that I wish TT was better at finding ways to trade down.
            Waddle, teammate Devonta, J'Marr, Bateman.
            These are not top 15 at a position of highest impact in this 2021 NFL world ?
            TT will consider IMHO.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Silversurfer
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Los Angeles
              • Send PM

Raiders fans asking when they lose this guy, "Was he any good". LOL

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

I wouldn't touch Harris at all in the 1st, and wouldn't really like it even with our current 2nd. As a general rule, I stay far away from 'Bama RB's.I prefer guys who can shine without multiple 1st rounders in the same huddle.
                Derrick Henry has worked out pretty well.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Any ways, we probably need a run game coordinator because running successfully is so important in the Shanahan scheme:
                  I know Whiz came from Pittsburgh and Ron Earhardt was the OC there for a long time. So is the Whiz system, which I think we still run, based on Earhardt-Perkins? McVay is a disciple of the Shanahan system so if McConnell comes over, he would bring that I think. Just wondering how big a change it would be for Herbert if

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Any ways, we probably need a run game coordinator because running successfully is so important in the Shanahan scheme:
                    https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum...74#post1173374
                    It is important but it shouldn't be shoved down the throats
                    its about moving the damn best with the best results and efficiencies
                    don't get behind down and distance to prove a damn point

Comment

• SYB
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Derrick Henry has worked out pretty well.
                      His first 2 season's were mediocre AF. :shrug:

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It is important but it shouldn't be shoved down the throats
                        its about moving the damn best with the best results and efficiencies
                        don't get behind down and distance to prove a damn point
                        Read the article I posted for more details. We still need to have some semblance of a running game to be successful. Otherwise defenses will just tee up on Herbert.

Edit: also helps open up passing game with different ways to attack. When teams do end up committing to stopping the run, I believe Herbert can kill them through the air better than someone like Goff or Baker.
                        Last edited by Xenos; 01-21-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yep. Thats why i suggested cutting MW weeks ago and saving 15M. He can do it all imo. No need to bring Henry back either. Thats 25M in savings. Put that in the OL.
                          I think people are giving Mike Williams too much credit. He is a big guy, but he was never the kind of big body guy who has physical and could block on the edge like Jackson or some of those other big WR are.

Personally, I would keep Henry. We still need an inline TE. Only a few TE caught 50-60 passes last year, and Henry catches 50-60 passes every year. He can also block, which is actually the harder thing to find a replacement for him. A guys who can do both catch and block is worth a lot. Henry will never be able to match Kelcie's production because of where he aligns. Unless we make the concious efffort to split him out most of the time, he just can't get in the routes quickly enough to be a 80-90 catch guy, and he lacks the speed/quickness/power/wiggle to get the YAC that Kelcie gets.

As far as OL go, I wouldn't spend a lot on FA. No big money guys at all. Again, if you want to piss money away, build a bonfire. You will get more out of it in the end.

If I was going to rebuild the OL by FA, I would go the Buffalo route. Keep most or all of the old OL, bring in new low price FA guys for like $2-4 mill per season (just over league min), but bring in a lot. And don't be afraid to still draft guys. Then let them all compete. Be willing to let any/all of them sit, and if none of them are playing well, sign guys off other teams cuts. It's the only way that FA works is if players know ... perform or else.

If Tevi, Feeney and Lamp don't like it, ... tough the door is over there. You improved but not enough to have a job locked down. FA won't sign without a guaranteed job ... go ahead and sign with someone else to be a backup ($2-4 mill is backup OL money anyway). High draft pick ... there is still plenty of vets and undrafted guys who will perform at the level we have been getting and will do it for NOTHING. Don't give anyone a job, make everyone earn their roster spot, let alone a starting spot.

Mike Williams is an OK WR, but he is really not showing a lot of chemistry with Herbert. He is still goodish, but not $15 mill good. If he clears waivers and all that, I am OK with letting him compete for a roster spot, but I think you have to let Johnson and Guyton compete for playing time, even if you have Williams on the roster.

Pitts is just the kind of guy that you HAVE to have the OC sign off on. Does the OC have a plan and some packages to use him? If he does, then mix in some regular plays where you use him as a traditional inline TE or traditional slot (which he does at lot of FL) as a 2nd TE and you have a plan to use him. Pitts is not the ideal classic inline TE, but if you have a plan on how to use him, he is the kind of weapon we need. We still need a true inline guy to be the guy who blocks the edge. Pitts would be our Kelcie type of guy, and they are rarely using him as the frontside inline TE on running plays anymore. Pitts can fill that same role.

To some degree, I think Pardam can do many of the same things, he is just not as advanced as Pitts is already. However, that is one thing that makes the idea of having a "Pitts plan" exciting. if Pitts were to get hurt, you can keep going with it. Maybe you par it back, because Pardam is not that guy, but you can still keep moving ahead, with Pardam as the poor man's Pitts.

Comment

Working...
                          X