• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott Green
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    like54ninjas reading that article on Murray is both hilarious and sad. I can’t believe we tried to used him differently than what he was good at.
    With the staff we had last year I'm surprised Herbert wasn't playing Safety and Murray Quarterback. Got to build those young mens character according to Lynn.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

On Wednesday, Denver Broncos special teams coordinator Tom McMahon gushed over cannon-legged punter Max Duffy, preaching "true competition" between veteran incumbent Sam Martin and the first-year Australian native who "blew us out of the water."

So much for that.

The Broncos waived Duffy on Thursday in a corresponding roster move after signing wide receivers Amara Darboh and De’Mornay Pierson-El, 9News' Mike Klis reported.

Duffy's stint in Denver spanned an entire 24 days; he earned a contract following an impressive showing at an open workout last month that also included fellow punter Drew Galitz and long snappers Matt Tunnacliffe and Seth Cottengim.

A Ray Guy Award winner at Kentucky, Duffy was given a legitimate chance of unseating Martin, having averaged 46.0 yards per boot for the Wildcats and equipped with a powerful right appendage and likewise directional ability.

“He’s done a good job," McMahon said of Duffy. "He just continued off that tryout day that we had. He’s done a good job hitting the edges. He needs to improve on—I think every single punter would tell you that they just need to improve on consistency. He hits an edge and hits an edge and then misses an edge. He’s very, very consistent. Both of our punters—Sam is knocking the heck out of the ball and Max is knocking the heck out of the ball. It’s a great competition. They are making each other better and they are good players. They are also good holders for [K] Brandon [McManus] which goes unsaid.”

All for naught, the "competition" ceasing hours later.

Until further notice, it appears the Broncos' punting job belongs to Martin, who averaged 46.1 gross yards per punt in 2020, his first season with the club.
      Bring him in, we need the competition at punter.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

• The Bills have been at the forefront of the movement to find and develop better technology to help prevent and mitigate injuries, and it's never been more obvious than now. All of their offensive and defensive linemen were wearing large padded shells over their regular helmets in practice, something I can't help but wonder we'll see more of over time. Yes, they looked kind of odd, but no players were complaining about that, they didn't seem cumbersome, and if they prevent even one concussion or head or neck injury, it's more than worth it. The returns have been favorable and no one should be worried about making a fashion statement in camp, anyway. Anything safe that can provide better data about what toll these impacts take, or to help lessen that toll, is a step forward. Embracing that science is only smart.
        Take a hint Bolts.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          like54ninjas reading that article on Murray is both hilarious and sad. I can’t believe we tried to used him differently than what he was good at.
          Yep...Gus was so clueless...

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Take a hint Bolts.
            Some of our RB are wearing those shells. Ekeler for sure.
            Maybe Staley’s performance management team got the Spani to test the technology?
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Take a hint Bolts.
              I think Ekeler was wearing a padded helmet on one of the practice highlights.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Bring him in, we need the competition at punter.
                Duffy's average of 46 yds. per punt is the same as Long last year...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Gus was so clueless...
                  Not as clueless as Mike McCoy, but let's not quibble about the relative disaster ratings of unfortunate coaching hires that are in the rear-view mirror now.

There's going to be so much to watch that's NEW.

* We'll see the degree to which the overhauled O-line is qualified to assist both phases of the offense.

* There's an entirely new focus on special teams, top to bottom, from coordinator, to scheme, to the acquisition of particular players precisely for their ability to excel on special teams.

* On defense, there's not only a new coordinator, but the return of Derwin James.

I'm getting geeked about seeing Staley's edition of the Bolts take the field. Hope you are, too.

Comment

• Lyth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    I did.

In one interview, Herbert tells us how conversation with Bulaga about cadence, voice pitch in the snap count can help O vs D. Get his O used to differences that Herb can use as tools.
                    Bulaga learned from one of the best. Glad to hear all this knowledge is being transferred.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Duffy's average of 46 yds. per punt is the same as Long last year...
                      There's so much more to the job than just net punting average, as Mike Scifres showed us for so many years.

The ability to hit the coffin corner; the effective pooch punt; the reverse spin ball, that will carom back away from the goal line, so it can be downed by coverage.

I wouldn't call Ty Long a great punter. But he's definitely a GOOD punter, and you don't replace one of those with a rough-around-the-edges project.

I'd like to see the Bolts sign Duffy, but am expecting it to *not* happen.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

There's so much more to the job than just net punting average, as Mike Scifres showed us for so many years.

The ability to hit the coffin corner; the effective pooch punt; the reverse spin ball, that will carom back away from the goal line, so it can be downed by coverage.

I wouldn't call Ty Long a great punter. But he's definitely a GOOD punter, and you don't replace one of those with a rough-around-the-edges project.

I'd like to see the Bolts sign Duffy, but am expecting it to *not* happen.
                        I think this situation could be similar to Lambo vs. Koo...Lambo was a good kicker, though he had a few key misses and laughed it up with Seabass after a loss to the Raiders, probably not endearing him to the coaching staff...Koo was talented but unproven in the NFL...in hindsight, it was a mistake to let Lambo go, in favor of the rook...though Koo has come back and had a solid season with Atlanta last year, kicking at 94%...too bad Koo's confidence with us was rattled by that blocked punt and a couple of key misses...best to roll with Long...

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Take a hint Bolts.
                          Rome wasn’t built in a day. We’ve just now getting an analytics department together, and hired a guy to help create a sports science one. We’ll get there.

Comment

Working...
                          X