Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Love me some Derius.
    Chargers ST will be ELITE, dammit.

​​​Maybe the biggest camp competition will be at KR/PR !

Which RB or WR is gonna challenge Nasir for return duties ?

Four TE's ? ... it's gonna be tight at the Skills spots.
    If Anderson misses the cut, put him on the NO-POACH PS list...

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Anderson misses the cut, put him on the NO-POACH PS list...
      When Anderson beats out McKitty, put McKitty on the no poach list.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

When Anderson beats out McKitty, put McKitty on the no poach list.
        U could be right, but McMeow was drafted so high, the Bolts must really value his blocking and I think he makes the final 53...I really like Anderson's YAC...
        Last edited by Topcat; 08-07-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

U could be right, but McMeow was drafted so high, the Bolts must really value his blocking and I think me makes the final 53...I really like Anderson's YAC...
          Anderson has had much better press through TC. Certainly not the final factor, but it may be indicative that he is the better player for this season. Nothing wrong with some protected time on the PS for McKitty. Gain more strength, pick up the finer points of pro ball.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Anderson has had much better press through TC. Certainly not the final factor, but it may be indicative that he is the better player for this season. Nothing wrong with some protected time on the PS for McKitty. Gain more strength, pick up the finer points of pro ball.
            As long as they're sure to put McMeow on that No-Poach list, I'd be okay with that...he'll still be practicing with the team, and a backup in case someone gets injured...

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Popper’s observations today. Asante Samuel gets some love.
              Samuel asked to replace Chris Harris Jr. and immediately go up against Keenan Allen. "He wanted to take on the challenge," Harris said.

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their eighth training camp practice Friday morning at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex. It was their first full padded practice of camp.

Here are my observations.

Samuel seeks out the competition
              With the pads back on, the Chargers went through competitive one-on-one drills for the first time since Monday and just the second time in camp. The offensive linemen faced the defensive linemen and edge rushers in pass protection/pass rush. The running backs ran routes against the inside linebackers and the tight ends and wide receivers matched up against the defensive backs.

I spent Monday’s practice watching the offensive line, so I decided to focus in on the defensive backs, tight ends and wide receivers during Friday’s 10-minute period.

Rookie cornerback Asante Samuel Jr. put on a show.

Before I get to the highlights, though, there was a moment that jumped out to me. And I think it reveals quite a bit about Samuel’s makeup.

On the 10th rep of the period, wide receiver Keenan Allen approached the line of scrimmage and Chris Harris Jr. trotted out to defend him. Samuel had just finished a rep against wide receiver Mike Williams, who had won on a slant route despite tight coverage. As Harris got set across from Allen, Samuel tapped Harris on the shoulder and asked if he could take the rep against the Chargers’ No. 1 wideout.

Harris obliged.

“He wanted to take on the challenge,” Harris said after practice.

Samuel won the rep and forced a bad throw.

It happened again later in the period. Samuel had just finished a rep against Joe Reed. He went right back to the line and requested to take on Allen a second time. He lost that one, with Allen finding space on a slant route.

But the result of the rep is not as important as Samuel seeking out the competition.

“That’s the first thing it takes,” Harris said. “You got to have that attitude to make it in the league.”

After the Chargers drafted Samuel in the second round, coach Brandon Staley called the Florida State product “a fearless competitor.” That is showing up.

“I was the same way,” said Harris, now in his 11th season. “So it was good to see.”

Samuel’s man coverage skills were on full display in that period. His first rep was against rookie tight end Tre’ McKitty, who ran an out from the slot. Samuel read the route and drove on the ball for a pass breakup.

Later came his rep against Reed. Samuel was in off coverage. Reed tried to run a comeback route but Samuel was unfazed by Reed’s shimmy at the top of his route. Samuel practically ran Reed’s route for him, timed it up and made another physical pass breakup.

On his final rep of the period, Samuel went up against Jason Moore. His coverage was so tight that quarterback Justin Herbert did not even attempt a throw.

“He was having a great day today,” safety Nasir Adderley said. “I love his energy. He got that dog in him. You can tell that. I think the future is very bright for him.”

Some other highlights from the one-on-one period:

• Allen and safety Derwin James matched up twice. James won the first rep when Allen ran a deep out-breaking route. James challenged Allen at the line and his physicality threw off the timing of Allen’s route. Allen still got behind James, but Herbert’s pass was slightly underthrown. James recovered and made the interception on a jump ball. On the second rep, Allen shook James on a slant route. The camp battle between James and Allen is always a treat. That James can even compete with Allen in one-on-ones speaks volumes about his coverage skills.

• Rookie Josh Palmer continues to show off his polished route running. He ran three great routes in the period, two against Michael Davisand one against Adderley. His best route came on his first rep against Davis. Palmer was sharp and elusive out of his break on a comeback route and Davis was off balance as a result.

• Safety Alohi Gilman had a pass breakup while defending tight end Stephen Anderson. Gilman looks like a different player this season. Cornerback Kemon Hall had a diving pass breakup against wide receiver Austin Proehl.

News and notes
              • The offensive line struggled in pass protection in 11-on-11 drills. I counted five sacks and two additional pressures in 34 reps. Cortez Broughton had two sacks. Joey Bosa had another. “Watching the film, you’ll see where maybe some of the protection broke down,” offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said after practice. “I think we had some openings downfield, but the pocket got back on the quarterback.”

• The final 11-on-11 period of practice featured another late-game situation. The offense started on the plus-30-yard line with 40 seconds remaining, no timeouts available and a touchdown needed. A second-down sack set Herbert and the offense back on their series. Herbert tried to extend a play on third-and-long, rolling to his right to escape pressure. He threw up a jump ball to Allen in triple coverage but it fell incomplete. Herbert then overthrew Williams on fourth down. Herbert is now 2-for-3 on two-minute-drill drives in training camp. Chase Daniel and the second-team offense also failed to score, though Daniel earned a new set of downs when he hit Donald Parham on a stop route over the middle on third-and-5.

• Cornerbacks Ryan Smith and Brandon Facyson, wide receivers Tyron Johnson and Jalen Guyton and safety Mark Webb did not practice.

• Undrafted defensive lineman Jared Goldwirehas retired. The Chargers will retain his rights, and he can be activated off the reserve/retired list at any time, but that does not appear to be likely.

• The Chargers had two field-goal periods. Michael Badgley and Tristan Vizcaino both kicked. Alex Kessman did not. Badgley went 4-for-5, hitting from 38, 42, 45, and 50 yards and missing from 33 yards. Vizcaino also went 4-for-5. He hit from 33, 38, 42 and 45 yards and had a really ugly miss from 52 yards. It appeared as though there was a mishap with the hold.

• Linebacker Kenneth Murray was the last player on the field. He was catching balls on the JUGS machine.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Samuel's man coverage skills were on full display in that period. His first rep was against rookie tight end Tre' McKitty, who ran an out from the slot. Samuel read the route and drove on the ball for a pass breakup.
                Nice to have a CB who can man up, and successfully...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Maybe 1-2 more games...remember, even the addition of DJ wouldn't have necessarily cancelled out our horrid ST play, Lynn/Stitch's horrid playcalling, and Bradley's lame defensive calls...
                  Maybe. I look at the tight ends producing in close games and just I know Derwin woulda been a factor.

Like, we definitely win that first KC game. Derwin owns Kelce, who had 90 yards and a TD.

We probably win in that 5 point loss vs. the Raiders. Waller had a TD that game.

That overtime loss vs. the Saints—there’s no way Jared Cook burns James down the sideline on that 41yard TD.

DJ woulda somehow made up for that one point we lost to the Donkeys 31-30.

Who knows..Trying to focus on this year and I’m frothing at having DJ back in the field. He looks tremendous.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Bad years = better drafted players. Just dont blow your early draft picks. And get lucky.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      A lot different than Stewart coaching. When Stewart was miced up he was saying, instead of missing the block try making the block, instead of having a bad return try returning it for a touchdown. When you fumbled the ball try not fumbling it.

That was the extent of his coaching. Very refreshing to see ST being given time and importance now. If we can be just average, what a win that would be.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

A lot different than Stewart coaching. When Stewart was miced up he was saying, instead of missing the block try making the block, instead of having a bad return try returning it for a touchdown. When you fumbled the ball try not fumbling it.

That was the extent of his coaching. Very refreshing to see ST being given time and importance now. If we can be just average, what a win that would be.
                        Oh wow, Stewart sounds like Captain Obvious. That explains why ST players were not buying in and played like crap.

It is refreshing to see a coach teaching fundamentals that players can easily understand.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

In a presser last year, Stewart called Jerry Tillery "one of the top defensive linemen in the league" (3:25)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink

Comment

Working...
                          X