Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't know if they would ever put Herbert in a position where the risk of injury increases. But, in addition to his kicking skills, I've got to think with his 4.6 speed and 6-5, 237lb frame, he could also be a red zone receiving target. Even Drew Brees caught a TD pass in his career. Imagine if Herbert threw a (or multiple) TD pass(es), caught a TD pass and kicked a field goal all in one game. The NFL would never be the same. :thumbsup:
    Paul Horning did all of those things regularly.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Luv-it! Old School football where players had to do it all in time of Need!

:cartman:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Pressers……

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

The Golden Boy, who died only last year, who started his nine-year GB Packer career the year I was born, but missed 1963 because of a gambling suspension, was a running back who scored TDs on the ground, threw TD passes (and INTS), caught TD passes, kicked field goals, and returned kicks. Even in age when it was common for players to take on multiple roles, his achievements were extraordinary. He starred at Notre Dame, Telesco would have drafted him in a second. He won the Heisman and is the college and pro football half of fames. He was the first overall pick in 1957 and a league MVP. He led the NFL in scoring three straight years, and he held the record for most points scored in a season until some guy with the initials LT broke it in 2006.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            and the final result of this move is

USATSI_15032929-1536x1024.jpg

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Look at Paul Hornug's career FG completion percentage. 47% !!! It stinks! lol

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Look at Paul Hornug's career FG completion percentage. 47% !!! It stinks! lol
                But, back in the day, 47% was considered above average...how the game has changed...

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Popper’s observations on today’s practice:

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their ninth training camp practice Saturday morning at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex. It was a padded practice. The Chargers are now past the halfway point of camp. They will practice at SoFi Stadium on Sunday for Fan Fest.

Here are my observations.

Starting units battle in two-minute drill
                  The final team period of every practice this week has featured a different late-game situation. On Friday, the offense got the ball at the plus-30-yard line with 40 seconds on the clock and no timeouts, needing a touchdown. On Saturday, it was a more traditional two-minute drill scenario. The offense got the ball at its own 25-yard line with 1:40 on the clock and one timeout, down four points.

This was a compelling give-and-take battle between Joe Lombardi’s first-team offense and Brandon Staley’s first-team defense.

Quarterback Justin Herbert started the drive by connecting with wide receiver Jalen Guyton on a quick out near the right sideline. Guyton appeared to get out of bounds, but the coaches announced that the clock was still running. So Herbert hurried his group to the line in the no-huddle and picked up a first down by finding Jared Cook in the middle of the field.

Herbert showed off his out-of-structure prowess on the ensuing first down, extending the play by rolling to his right. He delivered a strike to Guyton along the sideline for another first down, and this time, Guyton got out of bounds to stop the clock at 1:02.

The Chargers huddled, and Herbert then hit running back Austin Ekeler in the flat for a short gain to approach midfield. Then, on a second-and-9, Herbert uncorked what I believe is his best throw of camp so far.

Herbert dropped back, and the protection held up. Cook was running a deep crossing route toward the right sideline. He was triple-covered. Herbert, though, saw a window and dropped this pass into a bucket. The touch and accuracy on the throw were sublime. Cook, though, was not ready for the ball. It was as if he did not think it was possible for Herbert to make the throw. The ball hit off his hand and bounced out of bounds incomplete.

Herbert responded by completing a crosser to wide receiver Jason Moore for a new set of downs.

After a short completion to running back Justin Jackson, the offense was threatening at the plus-35-yard line with 28.5 seconds remaining. Herbert and Moore had a miscommunication on second down. Moore stopped his route, and Herbert’s throw sailed incomplete. On third-and-7, Herbert found Keenan Allen — his go-to target on money downs. But the offensive line was called for a hold.

That brought up third-and-17 with 17.4 seconds left. Herbert dropped back out of shotgun, but nothing was open downfield. Once again, he extended the play by rolling right. Cook made a savvy decision once he saw Herbert escape the pocket, sprinting down the sideline to carry Asante Samuel Jr., the lone defender in the flat, away from Herbert.

Herbert saw that and took off running. But he kept his arm in a throwing position to freeze the defense, even though he was well past the line of scrimmage. That bought him enough time to pick up the first. It was shades of Patrick Mahomes scrambling for that first down on third-and-21 against the Chargers in Week 2 last season.

Herbert’s hero-mode scramble set the Chargers offense up at the 32-yard line with 8.5 seconds left. And that is when Joey Bosa wrecked the drive.

He came off the left defensive edge against right tackle Storm Norton, who was working with the first team Saturday because Bryan Bulaga had the day off. Initially, the Chargers were prepared. They had Ekeler in as a protector to chip on Bosa and help Norton. Bosa, though, was too quick. He faked like he was going to try and beat Ekeler to the edge before slipping inside and splitting the double-team. He then knocked the ball loose from Herbert for a strip-sack.

Staley admitted after practice that Bosa got “a little too close to Justin.”

“I’m glad he was back there,” Staley said of Bosa. “Now, we have to make sure that he’s away from Justin.”

The offense recovered the fumble and called their timeout to stop the clock with 4.5 seconds left. Herbert’s Hail Mary attempt then fell incomplete — though the defense was not playing full speed so they could avoid any potential injuries.

Thus far, the first-team defense has won three two-minute drills against the first-team offense. The offense has won two.

“It’s really stressful out here,” Staley said of defending the Chargers’ two-minute offense. “There’s been such even, healthy competition. That’s what you’re looking for because that means that you probably are closer to being a balanced team.”

News and notes
                  • Herbert threw touchdowns on two of his six red zone reps. The first went to Guyton. This was an excellent play design that caught the defense off guard. Guyton was wide open in the left side of the end zone. The second TD went to Allen, who spun cornerback Michael Davisaround with one of his trademark double moves.

• Cornerback Tevaughn Campbell had his best practice of camp, in my opinion. In 11-on-11 drills, Campbell had a noteworthy physical rep in man coverage on Allen, forcing an incompletion on a comeback route off a Herbert rollout. Campbell was tight in coverage again later in the same drill while facing the second-team offense. This time, he was on Moore and forced another incompletion on third down. Campbell also had a pass breakup in the second-team two-minute drill while defending a Michael Bandy slant. “He had some tough moments early in camp, from a technical standpoint,” Staley said of Campbell. “He’s really talented. He has a big engine. This guy has real movement. He has really good size. What we’re trying to do is we’re trying to get this guy to be able to apply that big engine to NFL players and get his brain working as fast as his body. I think that’s his challenge right now: get that processor to where he can really unlock that engine that’s inside of him. What’s been great (is) I think that he has shown really good improvement these last two days. You’ve seen a more confident player in the one-on-ones and in the team drills.”

• Rookie S Mark Webb is dealing with a hamstring injury that he suffered in Wednesday’s practice, according to Staley. He has missed the past two practices and is not expected to participate in Sunday’s scrimmage-paced practice at SoFi.

• WR Tyron Johnson’s foot/ankle issue is “getting better,” according to Staley, but he will not practice Sunday.

• CB Brandon Facyson is dealing with a “family matter,” and that is why he has not practiced the past two days, Staley said. “He’ll be out here soon,” Staley added, “when everything gets squared away back home.”

• CB and special-teams stalwart Ryan Smith has a “core muscle” injury, per Staley. “We’re being careful,” Staley said. “We know what he can do as a veteran player. We just want to make sure that his engine is full. When he feels right, he’ll be back out here.”

• Bulaga is expected to practice Sunday, according to Staley.

• The Chargers signed two players Saturday to bring their roster total to 88: defensive lineman Chris Okoye and defensive back KJ Sails.

• Rookie left tackle Rashawn Slater said this about his daily pass-protection battles with Bosa: “When he does some stuff, it’s stuff I’ve never seen before sometimes. I know if I can build my technique and beat him that I can go against anybody.”

• CB John Brannon had a fourth-down pass breakup of Easton Stick in the two-minute drill. He also has two interceptions in camp so far.

• LB Drue Tranquill and DL Justin Jones both had tackles for loss on running plays in 11-on-11.

• CB Kemon Hall had a pass breakup in the red zone. He was defending wide receiver Joe Reed on a slant route.

• Based on the first nine practices, Justin Jackson appears to be the leader in the race for the RB2 role behind Ekeler.

Rookie OL Brenden Jaimes was working with the second team in 11-on-11. He was playing left guard. Said Staley: “Jaimes has really come on. I think this guy has really good flex. You can see that he started four years at tackle (in college) because he has the feet inside that we really value, that athleticism. He has more reach at guard than he does out there at tackle.”

• Ekeler’s versatility as a receiver and route runner has been on full display in camp. He has been lining up in the slot and outside regularly, including in two-back sets.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Great Daily report. I think the team is coming together. A lot of role players are stepping up- Guyton, Jaimes, Jackson, Campbell…
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Few days ago. Sorry if posted

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Haven’t heard a peep from Niemann. Most I’ve seen of him all camp was that clip today where KJ Hill juked him clean outta his Reeboks.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Don’t think Ive read about one good offensive rushing play this year. Not sure what that means, maybe nothing.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X