• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I guess the Bolts are opting to go with the sure thing with Long, instead of Edwards. Memories of cutting Lambo for Koo...
    If anything it’s the opposite considering that Lambo was the incumbent. Also this by Popper:

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Signing LS Matt Overton after Mazza got hurt in the game vs Rams.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        If anything it’s the opposite considering that Lambo was the incumbent. Also this by Popper:

Edwards wasn't Long for this team.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

An issue that Long has had is that he’s out kicking his coverage with little hang time on the punts.

This is partially the reason for why the punt coverage is still so bad.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
            An issue that Long has had is that he’s out kicking his coverage with little hang time on the punts.

Seems relatively easy task to raise launch point to gain hang time….

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Edwards wasn't Long for this team.
              I agree. I think the other guy was punting it well short so it was a no brainer.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Seems relatively easy task to raise launch point to gain hang time….
                Yeah and at the end of the day I’d rather have a strong footed punter that out kicks than one that has very limited range.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Yeah and at the end of the day I’d rather have a strong footed punter that out kicks than one that has very limited range.
                  Are you talking about Badge? :couch:

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I remember when hang time was important. When not out kicking your coverage was important.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

That is what i thought but i don’t actually have any data on that. Does anyone have his hang time for overal avg, then of punts that had big returns vs those covered well. Then what is the rest of league punters hang time values - average and variation?
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Game experience isn’t the only valuable experience, IMO. Chase spent a number of years in the same QB room as Brees, if he can teach Herbert how to prepare and watch film like Brees while also aiding his transition to offense number 6 in 6 years then that’s valuable. I also don’t see anything from Stick that makes me believe he’s going to win a game Daniel won’t. For this year, which is the only year we have him under contract, Daniel provides more value as a #2. I don’t think either of them is on the roster next year regardless.
                        If it were Tua, I could see bringing a mentor like Daniel who can serve as a sort of additional coach on the field. But my opinion is that Herbert doesn't need that extra coaching. He's got a QB coach and an OC.I just don't think that Herbert needs that kind of pampering. I would rather have the backup QB be a guy who can step in play well enough to give the Chargers a chance to win. I really don't see Daniel or Stick being that guy frankly, not like Billy Volek was for the Phil Rivers. But between the two of them - Daniel and Stick - I would choose the younger guy who can also make plays with his legs. I wish they would have brought in a real back up. Tyrod Taylor is actually my idea of a good back up. He is capable of winning games, or putting the Chargers in a position to win.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

If we use the Bengals game last year as a sample, I don’t think Tyrod Taylor is capable of winning a lot of games. He got lucky the Bengals kicker missed the kick to tie the game. At least Daniels is more exciting to watch and takes more chances deep.

Comment

Working...
                          X