• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Volek was a good back up, I agree. But that is because he had experience as a starter, which Daniel does not. Volek had far more playing time by Daniel's age now than Daniel will ever have. Volek's career TD to INT ratio is 27-15. Daniel's is 8-7.
    Yep...a better comp for Daniel is someone like Geno Smith...sigh...he can complete most of the short passes if not pressured too much, but just a hint of pressure and he gets erratic...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Volek was a good back up, I agree. But that is because he had experience as a starter, which Daniel does not. Volek had far more playing time by Daniel's age now than Daniel will ever have. Volek's career TD to INT ratio is 27-15. Daniel's is 8-7.
      What I meant was, Daniel, like Volek, was never a guy the Chargers were going to develop into a starter. It was understood that his ceiling for the team is as a #2. Which is a different thing from carrying a backup QB whom you're hopeful of developing.

IMO, Stick may be more talented than Daniel, but he isn't more likely to help the Chargers in 2021 than Daniel is.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

What I meant was, Daniel, like Volek, was never a guy the Chargers were going to develop into a starter. It was understood that his ceiling for the team is as a #2. Which is a different thing from carrying a backup QB whom you're hopeful of developing.

IMO, Stick may be more talented than Daniel, but he isn't more likely to help the Chargers in 2021 than Daniel is.
        IMO, the QB who is the better able to step in for the starter and win games is the better choice as a No. 2. I don't think they look at Stick ever being a starter either. But I would rather have him replacing Herbert than Daniel, if it comes to that, which hopefully never happens. I get the Daniel might be a better mentor to Herbert. And my argument is that Herbert doesn't need a mentor, especially a guy who has less playing experience than Herbert himself.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
          The RB battle:
          Jackson is good when he is on, but injuries and availability are a problem. Rountree and Bradwell averaged 6 and 7.9 YPC. Jackson and Kelley averaged 2.6 and 2.4. One preseason game does not decide all, but I know who my favorites are.

The TE battle:
          Uh... I don't really know what we have in McKitty, but I also haven't seen Anderson in a while. Kampmoyer is growing on me, and Sokol is trending up, 2 catches for 19 yards.

The WR battle:
          Moore might be the dark horse for the 6th WR spot. Caught 3 out of 3 for 31 yards. Hill had 2 targets - zero catches. Reed had 1 for 6 yds. I keep seeing Proehl's name in TC reports for good things.

QB side note:
          Easton Stick threw 7 completions on 7 attempts.

DL side note:
          I was looking forward to seeing Merrill get some playing time, and he did not disappoint.

The CB battle:
          I want to keep them ALL!
          The camp INT leader and now the preseason INT leader - John Brannon had 2 tackles, and a PD.
          Kemon Hall 2-1 and 1 PD. Donte Vaughn 1-1 and 1 PD. Tevaughn Campbell 1-2.
          A bunch of ball hawks and I don't know how to keep them all, but I want to.
          Preseason don't mean much really but it was nice to see Roundtree showing some quicks and cutting ability translate to the NFL. That was the biggest showing for me.

I Like Palmer and have high hopes for him.

I've always said I like JJ but he just can't be relied on to stay healthy. Good player when he is.

Still think Facyson has to be on the bubble after others showed well but we have 2 more preseason games to go.

Looking to see more play from Beer Can body Merril lol. At least for 1 game he looked good.

As for the QBs, hey I hope Stick makes a jump this year as I don't see the need to keep Daniels if he does. Stick did good against thirds but hope he starts next week.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

#7 has absolutely zero relevance to any discussion about any player in 2021 or 2022. It no longer matters what his pick number was. he didnt make the pick, he just answered the phone. I think folks are right that we have a number of good young receivers and its not wise, given that stable, to pay #2 $15M. Just numbers, he’s a good player. I expect he’s gone next year, and if I am TT, I definitely don’t negotiate an extension before the end of the season and i reassess where the team is at, what options are out there, etc.
            Yes it does. Sorry but at #7 overall you expect a franchise type player or at least someone w pro bowl potential. Have a look at a trade value chart too if you don't think the #7 doesn't matter.

We got that last year at #6 in Justin Herbert. That is why I hated them rolling the dice on a WR.

Christian Mccaffery, Patrick Mahomes, Desahun Watson went right after him. That is the type of player you expect that high . I didn't say it was his fault just that it was a lousy pick in hindsight

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I'd be shocked if they don't keep 3 QBs. Daniel is what he is: a career backup with a lot of time in the offensive style we will be running. That alone with ensure a roster spot as he will be an extra coach for Herbert. Stick had a nice game and if they think he is the long term backup, I don't see them getting rid of him either.

Neither would have me feeling real comfortable about winning much if they had to start.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think Daniel is only exciting to some of us as a comparison to last year’s #2. We’re not THAT excited about him. I have never seen last night’s Stick before. If he plays like that 2 more times … i may agree with you. Still not convinced he has an NFL arm but it looked a bit stronger last night.

Vizcaino is (s/b?) a lock imo. He kicks it 4 yards deep in the end zone, and his PKs were perfect

Punter is interesting Q - Long has a great leg but he doesn’t hit situational kicks well, he too often over kicks coverage with long but low(er) kicks giving returners 10+ yards of empty field in front of them. we see how dangerous that is, 1 of 3 or so breaks it for 30 yards. But he also adds PK emergency backup, if thats valued or not i don’t know.
                Vizcaino can also punt…he did it in college but wasn’t great. So he provides that insurance.
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Winning >> Losing.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...and Vizzy's kicks are pretty straight...unlike some of the horrible hooks or slices we've seen from Bags...
                    If you think you need to make 45 + yard field goals to win games, you roll the dice and go with Vizzy.
                    Bags will never give that to you: in part, because he is just a small guy.

He would need to make adjustments that is beyond my scope to recognize. If you are a special teams coach, that is part of your job.
                    Based on his performance in camp, it doesn't appear to be so. His percentage would have been lower if Lynn trusted him to make long kicks.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If you think you need to make 45 + yard field goals to win games, you roll the dice and go with Vizzy.
                      Bags will never give that to you: in part, because he is just a small guy.

He would need to make adjustments that is beyond my scope to recognize. If you are a special teams coach, that is part of your job.
                      Based on his performance in camp, it doesn't appear to be so. His percentage would have been lower if Lynn trusted him to make long kicks.
                      Not to defend him but -

I thought I remember him making the longest FG in the teams' history a couple of years ago. It seems he has enough leg but is too inaccurate.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Not to defend him but -

I thought I remember him making the longest FG in the teams' history a couple of years ago. It seems he has enough leg but is too inaccurate.
                        Bags occasionally makes a long kick, but he's been out a couple of times with a groin injury...makes me wonder if he overcompensates to make those long kicks, then gets hurt...Vizzy has the edge at this point...

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

I would agree with you on Daniel, if Daniel had experience as an actual player. But he's a career backup who has far less actual game experience than Herbert himself. So I don't really see the advantage that Daniel brings. I don't think Herbert needs help learning the system or preparing, he seems to have the mental part of the game down pat. He stepped right in to the starting role last year, and amazed his coaches with how much of the offense he already had absorbed, far more than is normal for most rookie QB. So I'd rather go with a QB who gives the team the best chance to win if Herbert is unavailable, and IMO that is Stick.
                          Game experience isn’t the only valuable experience, IMO. Chase spent a number of years in the same QB room as Brees, if he can teach Herbert how to prepare and watch film like Brees while also aiding his transition to offense number 6 in 6 years then that’s valuable. I also don’t see anything from Stick that makes me believe he’s going to win a game Daniel won’t. For this year, which is the only year we have him under contract, Daniel provides more value as a #2. I don’t think either of them is on the roster next year regardless.

Comment

Working...
                          X