Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts318 View Post
    From the fame is fleeting category....Last week, the Chargers-Browns was being touted as the game of the year. Sunday, both teams ended up laying eggs while the Cowboys-Patriots is now all the rage for the most exciting game of 2021. So, given that many of us can probably point to games between two bad teams that have turned into nail-biters, was the Chargers-Browns just two evenly-matched mediocre teams duking it out OR was yesterday just a one-off poor showing?
    I've wondered about this for a long time - when two teams play a game like the Browns and Bolts did, do they need more time to recover? The energy and emotion spent on a game like that can be a drain on them physically. Is a letdown in the following week a likelihood? I'll be interested in seeing how the Boys and Pats play next week.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I've wondered about this for a long time - when two teams play a game like the Browns and Bolts did, do they need more time to recover? The energy and emotion spent on a game like that can be a drain on them physically. Is a letdown in the following week a likelihood? I'll be interested in seeing how the Boys and Pats play next week.
      High scoring, exhausting game. Travel across the country. Early start. Yeah, I think there's something to it. Remember when Fouts & Co. had to go from the Epic in Miami to the Freezer Bowl?

Comment

• SBbound
        Casual fanatic
        • Feb 2019
        • Merced/San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

High scoring, exhausting game. Travel across the country. Early start. Yeah, I think there's something to it. Remember when Fouts & Co. had to go from the Epic in Miami to the Freezer Bowl?
        That was the beginning of my fandom, brutal, brutal game in Cincinnati, 37 degrees below zero.
        Plus when the offense was on the field the stadium crew would open that big door in the end zone so the wind would blow into the faces of Fouts and co.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yes, I do and that's when I first started wondering about this. In that case, I blamed it on the freezing weather, but it made me start wondering about the stress and strain a shoot-out takes on a team.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

There’s always a first with Telesco.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                There’s always a first with Telesco.

Never say "never"...

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Well Brandon, make it a team goal to get 5 yards minimum on first down. First down efficiency wins games.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Never say "never"...
                    I do think this year is different for Telesco. Not many of his teams have been 4-2 at this point of the season with the toughest part of the schedule done. There were years they were under .500 with the "easy" part of the schedule done. So, that really doesn't make you a trade partner at the deadline.

There are two weaknesses on the team - real weaknesses: run defense and a kicker. Not saying he has to address kicker but I hope like heck he tries to do something about the IDL help. That may not mean a trade. It might mean a free agent or whatever. But I hope he doesn't think "status quo" will suffce.

And with the cap space the team has, plus some draft picks - it does seem like he has the means to do something -- just to get a little better run defense. For me, will be rooting against the Jets (Rankins), the Giants (Gano and DL), the Bears (Hicks)

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I do think this year is different for Telesco. Not many of his teams have been 4-2 at this point of the season with the toughest part of the schedule done. There were years they were under .500 with the "easy" part of the schedule done. So, that really doesn't make you a trade partner at the deadline.

There are two weaknesses on the team - real weaknesses: run defense and a kicker. Not saying he has to address kicker but I hope like heck he tries to do something about the IDL help. That may not mean a trade. It might mean a free agent or whatever. But I hope he doesn't think "status quo" will suffce.

And with the cap space the team has, plus some draft picks - it does seem like he has the means to do something -- just to get a little better run defense. For me, will be rooting against the Jets (Rankins), the Giants (Gano and DL), the Bears (Hicks)
                      Run defense, kicker, running back, overall ST.

we could have had every RB on the Ravens roster and I would take any of them over all our guys except Ekeler.

At this point it looks like letting Badgely go was the wrong choice. He wasn’t good outside 40 but was reliable inside 40 and on XP. I’ve heard a lot about Vizcaino’s leg strength but it hasn’t been a factor on kick offs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

we could have had every RB on the Ravens roster and I would take any of them over all our guys except Ekeler.

At this point it looks like letting Badgely go was the wrong choice. He wasn’t good outside 40 but was reliable inside 40 and on XP. I’ve heard a lot about Vizcaino’s leg strength but it hasn’t been a factor on kick offs.
                        You are right about the other two - running back and overall ST. But I will take fixing the IDL, run defense and kicker by the Patriots game.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This painful but accurate. The truth hurts.

Chargers need to add a big time power back who complements Eckler. Would take Breece Hall right now from Iowa State if the draft were tomorrow. Kicking situation is beyond painful with special teams. Guess I was wrong expecting turnaround with Derius Swinton???

Comment

Working...
                          X