• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    With the occasional exceptions(Linsley, Feiler this year) TT is always gonna favor targets of opportunity in FA, while setting his sites on the draft. Reasonably priced vets, who fit us here, can still be added as they come available. We see options dwindling, but our guys see options that may yet become available, plus the draft....I dont understand how anyone can be surprised by this. TT has been straight forward about this if nothing else...he builds thru the draft, and merely bolsters a bit thru FA.
    Anybody see that chart that shows the two teams that have spent the most on free agency the last 10 years are the Jets and Jags - and the records are two of the worst. So free agency is a tool to augment your roster, plug holes. The draft is where you usually find value and your pro bowlers.

I think at this point -Telesco is probably patiently waiting for the market where the price might just drop a bit more.

If you have IOL like Austin Blythe, Larry Warford, Nick Easton, Nick Martin, Zach Fulton was released yesterday - all sitting there - and their grades are pretty similar. Than its just about scheme and fit. I like Easton out of this group as he has played both center and guard

TE: I think I am calling Cook or Rudolph - offering at most a small two year deal and the first one to take it wins

OT: Villanueva, Reiff, Wagner, Kelly, Eric Fisher. For this one, I think I offer Eric Fisher an incentive laden deal. Its a bit of a risk. If not Kelly as he has played both LT and RT

CB/DB: Troy Hill, Tartt or Adoree Jackson. I think I am going with Adoree Jackson in a boom or bust type move. I know what I am getting from Troy Hill - but maybe Staley can do for Adoree what he did for Floyd. Plus a good punt returner Either way, whether its HIll or Jackson, one year deal

And to TopCats point - if Telesco can play the comp pick game at this point, all things equal (cost, talent, fit), do it. That means everybody but Austin Blythe; Adoree Jackson over Troy Hill; and all those tackles over Villanueva

At this point -- all one year deals -- get to get players in to bridge the gap for the draft.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Haha are the Tremble blocking videos going around? Dude just kills guys.
      Here's a couple:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1307811153813307403

https://twitter.com/i/status/1316050723227013120

Notre Dame's strength at tight end took a hit Thursday with Tommy Tremble declaring for the NFL draft, a decision spurred by his pure joy in punishing contact as a run blocker.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Thats why if you take care of your business enough in free agency - it might allow the Chargers to draft Tommy Tremble with the 3rd round pick. Sign Rudolph today - I think he is a better blocker than Jared Cook. Ertz will cost more cash and a draft pick

Comment

• Lyth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          With the occasional exceptions(Linsley, Feiler this year) TT is always gonna favor targets of opportunity in FA, while setting his sites on the draft. Reasonably priced vets, who fit us here, can still be added as they come available. We see options dwindling, but our guys see options that may yet become available, plus the draft....I dont understand how anyone can be surprised by this. TT has been straight forward about this if nothing else...he builds thru the draft, and merely bolsters a bit thru FA.
          I felt like this was different. In the past it's seemed like TT has gone after bargains. This year he went out and got two of the 3 best IOL on the market. Paid them well too. Nothing outrageous. The same amount they'd get elsewhere. Signing Davis was good too. That's a much better FA group than we normally have.

I know it seems like he's ignored TE, WR and OT, but the value has to be there. You can't stack every position. I'm expecting OT and TE to come from the draft. For all we know they're working out a draft trade for Ertz. WR is going to interesting. Lots of good FA's left and the longer they sit, the less they cost. I'm glad he's not rushing on a WR.

I'm much happier this year than most. Waiting to see how the draft plays out.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats why if you take care of your business enough in free agency - it might allow the Chargers to draft Tommy Tremble with the 3rd round pick. Sign Rudolph today - I think he is a better blocker than Jared Cook. Ertz will cost more cash and a draft pick
            You will need to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a tight end if you don't get a decent vet, and then probably not resign the draft pick in 4 years.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I felt like this was different. In the past it's seemed like TT has gone after bargains. This year he went out and got two of the 3 best IOL on the market. Paid them well too. Nothing outrageous. The same amount they'd get elsewhere. Signing Davis was good too. That's a much better FA group than we normally have.

I know it seems like he's ignored TE, WR and OT, but the value has to be there. You can't stack every position. I'm expecting OT and TE to come from the draft. For all we know they're working out a draft trade for Ertz. WR is going to interesting. Lots of good FA's left and the longer they sit, the less they cost. I'm glad he's not rushing on a WR.

How many years have the "media" talked about how teams that are patient and get better value in free agency are applauded. This year, the Patriots blow their load the first day (and hey Belichick has shown he has a clue as a head coach ) - and he is the talk of the town. If that had been the Jets - probably not the same. Belichick had to upgrade the roster as he has failed as a GM in some ways the last few years

Chargers got the biggest needs covered: C, OG and CB

Now they can be patient and look for the bargains to be had , the right fit. Who knows how it will turn out but maybe this year, since the Chargers do have cap space - they will be the patient team that gets the values.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Remember that we scooped up one our best FA signings ever (IMHO) on day 4 and we got him for a bargain. Danny Woodhead..........

Panic not unless you can't help yourself. This is a long road.........

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

There are round three OLTs in this draft.
                  ​​​​​
                  Now that we have stabilized IOL, we could live with Pipkins, Tevi, Villanueva, Reiff, whoever.

I would just as soon put the exclamation point on IOL with one more early/mid round shitkicker.

What did TT say ?
                  We need to improve at running game and Red Zone offense.
                  I would add short yardage...that all points to IOL.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

^ This...a glut of FA's on the market = TT coupon shopping specials...

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Well if TT is mostly building thru the draft he needs to do a better job because our record has not been very good under his tenure.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        There are round three OLTs in this draft.
                        ​​​​​
                        Now that we have stabilized IOL, we could live with Pipkins, Tevi, Villanueva, Reiff, whoever.

I would just as soon put the exclamation point on IOL with one more early/mid round shitkicker.

What did TT say ?
                        We need to improve at running game and Red Zone offense.
                        I would add short yardage...that all points to IOL.
                        Watch for TT to use one of our 3rd rounders for Golden Domer IOL Aaron Banks...unless Humphrey or Dickerson drops to us in round 3...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                          Well if TT is mostly building thru the draft he needs to do a better job because our record has not been very good under his tenure.
                          Thats why I don't want him to trade up -- it has been iffy with the results
                          Te'O
                          Attaouchu
                          Melvin Gordon

Kenneth Murray - tbd

You are correct - he needs to do a better job in the draft. The record speaks for itself. Maybe he is a better GM than he is at picking coaches.

Comment

Working...
                          X