• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
    Does Swinton go for fake punts or fake field goals? We didn't have that under Stewart or Lynn.
    Stewart and Lynn had a hard enough time with real FG's and punts let alone to try fake ones.
    Last edited by FoutsFan; 01-26-2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Just watched Swinton’s presser. I’m impressed and very excited how his ST unit will perform next year applying the three Fs. Play fast, physical and fundamentally sound. Looking to some innovative game planning and players flying around. His coaching goal of keeping the 90 man roster employed in the NFL is very unselfish.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
        Just watched Swinton’s presser. I’m impressed and very excited how his ST unit will perform next year applying the three Fs. Play fast, physical and fundamentally sound. Looking to some innovative game planning and players flying around. His coaching goal of keeping the 90 man roster employed in the NFL is very unselfish.
        Yes for years now our special team Fs all rhymed with duck.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
          Part of this is coaching - and I have liked what I have heard from Swinton - especially about how Staley was involved in Chicago in Special Teams meetings

But this offseason - free agency, Telesco needs to allocate resource for possibly a K, P and TWO veteran types and not rely on UDFA. It doesn't have to be a lot of money but there needs to be a commitment in terms of money spent.

Comment

• Silversurfer
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Los Angeles
            • Send PM

I'd run through a wall for him.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I really liked what I saw of Swinton, too and inspiring and motivating is a big part of special teams as attitude is involved.

I read a little on the Cardinals Forum and found some complaining about Klingsbury. Sounds like there is already a power struggle brewing between him and Kiem. That's not our problem. But this was interesting.... complaints about poor situational game planning! Unexplicable use of time outs, challenges, etc. So maybe the use of the extra eyes didnt work?

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                I really liked what I saw of Swinton, too and inspiring and motivating is a big part of special teams as attitude is involved.

I read a little on the Cardinals Forum and found some complaining about Klingsbury. Sounds like there is already a power struggle brewing between him and Kiem. That's not our problem. But this was interesting.... complaints about poor situational game planning! Unexplicable use of time outs, challenges, etc. So maybe the use of the extra eyes didnt work?

TG
                Or maybe Kingsbury didn't listen . Kliff has an ego - there is no doubt

(FYI - the Cardinals should be calling the Texans again - this time about DeShaun Watson. Kyler, a 2020 FRP is a good starting point for Watson - but thats just me)

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

I would not be surprised if this guy is offered a head coaching job 3 years from now...Attention to detail and focused like Staley. I think he should be offered Assistant Head coach as well as special teams coach. It's like getting two head coaches for the price of one.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                    I'd run through a wall for him.
                    Yup, I felt the same way. Sign of a good coaching trait. Not a boss but a leader.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Saying all the right things.
                      Don't worry, Chargers fans. New offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi will let Justin Herbert throw the ball.

Multiple voices involved in game-management decisions?

The press release announcing the hiring of Lombardi, Hill and Swinton included a particularly interesting quote from Staley. He said Swinton, who was the assistant special teams coordinator in Arizona last year under Kliff Kingsbury, had “been instrumental in helping the Cardinals with game management.”

“It’s something that I’m really excited for him to bring to the Chargers,” Staley added.

We got to ask Swinton about this part of his role with the Cardinals.

“I don’t want to give away the secrets of what they have going on in Arizona, but it just entailed a constant flow of communication between three individuals,” Swinton said. “There were three of us constantly, throughout the game, talking situational football. I always said that you try to see the landmines before they blow up. … Our head coach was our (offensive) play caller, so you don’t want to bother him when he is in a flow or rhythm of the game. (Kingsbury) is one of the best, offensively, to do it. So, us three individuals, we tried to constantly have that conversation of, ‘What’s happening next? Well, what if this happens? What if they score here? What if we stop them? How can we manage the clock? Are we going to need two more possessions?’

“I think it was just that flow of communication, situationally, that just led us to be one of the better teams.”

I followed up later in the presser to see if Swinton was factoring in win probability models into his game management analysis. He did not want to get into too much detail about the mechanics of those discussions in Arizona, but it sounds like one of the three people he referred to was an analytics staffer.

“That was a part of the conversation, like I was talking about earlier,” Swinton said. “When we had those dialogues, someone would say, ‘Well, the book says this.’ Then, someone would chime in, ‘Well, the game says this.’ That’s going to happen. That’s just how the game goes. Analytics is great. You want to tap in to it, but I think that’s what makes Brandon a great coach: He has such a great feel for the game. I think that’s something that he will have a great feel for — taking the numbers but then also going, ‘What does the game look like in front of me?'”

The Cardinals were the second-most aggressive team on fourth down last season behind only the Packers. So they were clearly putting stock in whatever their analytics staff had to say.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Saying all the right things.
                        Don't worry, Chargers fans. New offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi will let Justin Herbert throw the ball.

Absolutely beautiful
                        (if done correctly)
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

I like this quote from him, “I don’t worry about what groceries I have. I just take the groceries that I have in my cabinet and I make the meal. I don’t care if I have fresh fruit, or if the fruit’s a day old or a week old. As long as it’s not spoiled, we can make a meal.” I feel like Stewart failed to connect with his players so he was unable to maximize their potential. I don’t think Swinton is the type of coach that will blame the players for failing to execute like the previous coaching staff did.

Comment

Working...
                          X