Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yep! this is the real answer

Granted, if Fangio is fired by Denver - I do wonder if Staley would be averse to making the phone call. Might not be fair to Hill but as a fan, Fangio might be a better DC. Probably is a better DC than Hill and oh well... the Chargers kept Stewart around way too much.
    I couldn't think of a better hire on the coaching staff than adding Fangio.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yes, but who's supposed to be over seeing the development and organization of the talent or non-talent on defense. What about during game time and changes during game time. If he's doing as much as you say he's doing then he's way over stretched and doing a piss poor job everywhere because of it. Clearly having a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players is too much even for a head coach who knows what he's doing on defense.

:wtf2:
      Staley was hired because of the job he did with the Rams D last year. The problem is how many Charger defenders could start for the Rams? Bosa and James (when they aren't hurt) and maybe White. Easy to coach elite level talent. It's going to take another offseason or two to build the D.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Staley was hired because of the job he did with the Rams D last year. The problem is how many Charger defenders could start for the Rams? Bosa and James (when they aren't hurt) and maybe White. Easy to coach elite level talent. It's going to take another offseason or two to build the D.
        Cannot build....we have to buy on defense to jump start this team for next year.

:coffee:
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I like Staley though. I like the way he coaches the actual game. He was the hotshot DC because of the talent the Rams had. Just like a hotshot OC - Mike McCoy because of Peyton Manning. Well Jalen Ramsey and AAron DOnald made Staley a better DC

But I like how he coaches the game with strategy and what not.

He just needs better players. And maybe Hill would be short changed - but if Vic Fangio is fired as Head Coach - the Chargers need to call that dude up first thing. He would be a helluva hire and allow Staley to be the HEAD coach.

Comment

• AZBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

The R Hill hire has proven to be pathetic.......when you have the worst third down defense in the NFL you are a total failure, plain and simple......The bolts D is not void of talent......It seems the only way our D can get off the fricken field is when it's 1st and 20 bc of a holding call.......and half the time our opponents move the chains on 1st and 20. Hill's schemes suck.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

The defense can turn it around next season. It can be done.
              Dallas defense last season was awful. Worse run defense than we have this year and now this season, their defense is pretty solid.

Get some free agents and some draft picks and it can be a lot better.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Worst 3rd down defense in the NFL just got worse, and against one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Someone has to be held accountable. I'd start with Renaldo Hill. Then Telesco after the season is over.

Anyone want to defend Hill's performance at this point? I think ChargersPowderBlue has been one of the few posters calling him out for a while now.
                I believe you are over-reacting in Year One. Chargers were playing meaningful football until the franchise pieces on defense, Bosa + DJ started missing games.

I too am in the accountability business and I want John Spanos and Tom Telesco to be accountable. I openly advocating for hiring Vic Fangio as DC if he is blown out in Denver.

We need two more solid drafts to fill out this roster and to stay the course, IMO.

As for Houston, Woodie told us Davis Mills was the real deal, Mills posted a 130.6 rating. Fucking guy was dropping dimes from the sky. Lastly, Rex Burkhead has two games left in his Texans' contract and will hit the free agent market. He should be platooning at RB with Ekeler next season. He is playing out a one-yr $1.5 deal.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I believe you are over-reacting in Year One. Chargers were playing meaningful football until the franchise pieces on defense, Bosa + DJ started missing games.

I too am in the accountability business and I want John Spanos and Tom Telesco to be accountable. I openly advocating for hiring Vic Fangio as DC if he is blown out in Denver.

We need two more solid drafts to fill out this roster and to stay the course, IMO.

As for Houston, Woodie told us Davis Mills was the real deal, Mills posted a 130.6 rating. Fucking guy was dropping dimes from the sky. Lastly, Rex Burkhead has two games left in his Texans' contract and will hit the free agent market. He should be platooning at RB with Ekeler next season. He is playing out a one-yr $1.5 deal.
                  A hard no thanks to Burkhead. He will be another year older and will not be going up against the soft Charger D if he is here. His 2.9 yard per carry average going into the game is far more indicative of what he has left than the game against a really soft Charger D.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Dallas defense last season was awful. Worse run defense than we have this year and now this season, their defense is pretty solid.

I don't know. It would require making some big-boy decisions on guys like Tillery, Joseph, Fackrell, Gilman, and Murray. And then adding so many players that just one season won't do it. At least if you want to add QUALITY defensive players. I see it taking at least two years before we're a real tackling defense IF and ONLY if those in charge make ALL the right decisions in the next couple years. How likely is THAT??? I mean really. We may never have a good dependable defense with the current people in charge. A distinct possibility IMO.

Comment

• Grinners
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

and Micah Parsons

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Mills has been ok. Mediocre but looked like a seasoned vet against us. He dropped a dime by bad coverage from Harris (not CHJ) and a rusty ASJ who had a bad game.

Burkhead was averaging 2.8 YPC this season til he faced us. Now it's up to 3.8 after that game.

Houston scored a season high in points and had their first 100 yard rushing game this season against us.

No thanks to Burkhead in the offseason.
                        Much better options will be available.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Mills has been ok. Mediocre but looked like a seasoned vet against us. He dropped a dime by bad coverage from Harris (not CHJ) and a rusty ASJ who had a bad game.

Burkhead was averaging 2.8 YPC this season til he faced us. Now it's up to 3.8 after that game.

Houston scored a season high in points and had their first 100 yard rushing game this season against us.

No thanks to Burkhead in the offseason.
                          Much better options will be available.
                          OK? Go check out his game against the Patriots. It was in the Top 7 QB performances of all time against a Bill Belichick defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X