Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Ok. Fine. 5TECH/7TECH for Joey. I am not crazy about OLB. My question for you (just an inquiry) is what skills would a 4i in single eagle have ? Would he be mostly an anchor ? I see Tillery and JJones as penetrating 1 gap 3TECHs almost exclusively.

The only 4i guys I am liking in this draft are Jay Tufele/Christian Barmore rd2, Bobby Brown rd 5 or Naquon Jones/ Kyree Campbell rd7.

It would be a good thing to give Kenneth Murray some clean looks.
      Right on about Bosa.
      The double or single Eagle alignment is where 34 DE became 3 tech DT. Prior to 34 teams using the eagle adjustment, everyone played their DT as either a 2 technique (heads up on the OG) or 2i (inside shade of the OG). When 34 teams realize that it was tough to generate a consistent pass rush without a really great LT or Derrick Thomas type OLB, they started using the Eagle adjsutment to move the 34 DE and 34 NT in better positions to get pressure on the QB. Staley is playing the 4i technique (inside shade of the OT) instead of a 3 technique (outside shade of the OG), but it is basically the same position

The thing with 3 tech DT is you can actually use a lot of different type of guys, and they can be successful. I think everyone loved to think of the Aaron Donald/Warren Sapp, stunning quickness and blowing up plays in the backfield every other play. That is certainly the ideal. A lot of 34 teams have been able to get away with quicker DE, but they do tend to wear down after just a couple of years (they do in the 43 too, just not quite as fast).

But a lot of teams have gotten by with good leverage players. John Parella was a pretty good leverage/power 3 technique DT back in the day for us and the Raiders. They aren't going to be playmakers getting a ton of sacks and tackles for a loss, but if you are looking for guys to keep your LB clean, and who can push the pocket some, you can use some powerful guys who might not be as big and quick as you would want at NT as a 2 or 3 tech DT.

Jones and Tillery have the physical abilities on paper to be excellent 4i players. Just like they look like the prototype 3 tech players. But to date, they may look the part, they don't play like it. It will be interesting to see how they respond to Staley scheme, because time is running out on them. They both flash some ability, but they have to become consitent.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Define Huge...Some people think he can be had for $10 mil on a high probability team for playoffs and superbowl run. By getting a competent QB and Now a seemingly competent coach we are starting to attract players! This is a good thing!

:cheers:
        $10 mill is still a lot of money to ask a guy to not do what made him famous and wildly successful.

I see Watt and Bosa as being largely the same type of player (mostly).

We really need to find the guy who can be our Aaron Donald type. Not necessaily that quick, because few guys have that kind of quickness. If we can find someone that quick who penetrates and can give the inside push we should take him no matter what D we play.

We need someone to push the pocket and flush the QB to the edge rushers. Bosa and whoever is our Leonard Floyd would benefit from that a lot. Or if the QB steps up to get away from the edge rushers, to finish the play and get the sack.

I keep pointing to the fact that a lot of the Rams sacks are coverage sacks, but they get a bunch of plays because QB who played the Rams KNEW they didn't have much time. They had to get the ball out fairly quickly, or Donald and Floyd would get there. The coverage was good and it helped keep the QB from throwing quickly, but the rush was good enough to finish the play.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

$10 mill is still a lot of money to ask a guy to not do what made him famous and wildly successful.

I see Watt and Bosa as being largely the same type of player (mostly).

We really need to find the guy who can be our Aaron Donald type. Not necessaily that quick, because few guys have that kind of quickness. If we can find someone that quick who penetrates and can give the inside push we should take him no matter what D we play.

We need someone to push the pocket and flush the QB to the edge rushers. Bosa and whoever is our Leonard Floyd would benefit from that a lot. Or if the QB steps up to get away from the edge rushers, to finish the play and get the sack.

I keep pointing to the fact that a lot of the Rams sacks are coverage sacks, but they get a bunch of plays because QB who played the Rams KNEW they didn't have much time. They had to get the ball out fairly quickly, or Donald and Floyd would get there. The coverage was good and it helped keep the QB from throwing quickly, but the rush was good enough to finish the play.
          Jay Tufele is pretty quick
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Jay Tufele is pretty quick
            I’m watching a highlight film of him and the first play was against the ducks when he submarines to JH’s leg.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Gentlemen. I am laid up following back surgery. So I have to catch up in bunches when I get some online time. I have to say the discourse of the last 3 pages or so, the tete a tete, was some great reading. This is why I come to The Powder Blues. Thank you

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                Gentlemen. I am laid up following back surgery. So I have to catch up in bunches when I get some online time. I have to say the discourse of the last 3 pages or so, the tete a tete, was some great reading. This is why I come to The Powder Blues. Thank you
                Get well man.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I’m watching a highlight film of him and the first play was against the ducks when he submarines to JH’s leg.
                  I saw that too. i was ready to posture aggressively at my laptop....
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

The double or single Eagle alignment is where 34 DE became 3 tech DT. Prior to 34 teams using the eagle adjustment, everyone played their DT as either a 2 technique (heads up on the OG) or 2i (inside shade of the OG). When 34 teams realize that it was tough to generate a consistent pass rush without a really great LT or Derrick Thomas type OLB, they started using the Eagle adjsutment to move the 34 DE and 34 NT in better positions to get pressure on the QB. Staley is playing the 4i technique (inside shade of the OT) instead of a 3 technique (outside shade of the OG), but it is basically the same position

The thing with 3 tech DT is you can actually use a lot of different type of guys, and they can be successful. I think everyone loved to think of the Aaron Donald/Warren Sapp, stunning quickness and blowing up plays in the backfield every other play. That is certainly the ideal. A lot of 34 teams have been able to get away with quicker DE, but they do tend to wear down after just a couple of years (they do in the 43 too, just not quite as fast).

But a lot of teams have gotten by with good leverage players. John Parella was a pretty good leverage/power 3 technique DT back in the day for us and the Raiders. They aren't going to be playmakers getting a ton of sacks and tackles for a loss, but if you are looking for guys to keep your LB clean, and who can push the pocket some, you can use some powerful guys who might not be as big and quick as you would want at NT as a 2 or 3 tech DT.

Jones and Tillery have the physical abilities on paper to be excellent 4i players. Just like they look like the prototype 3 tech players. But to date, they may look the part, they don't play like it. It will be interesting to see how they respond to Staley scheme, because time is running out on them. They both flash some ability, but they have to become consitent.
                    Thanks Steve.
                    A lot to unpack.

Joey must be talking to Giff, Reynaldo and Brandon about what they have in mind,
                    ​​​and what weight to play at.

I need to combine Tillery and JJones into one player.
                    I am looking for an anchor with a bull rush and a developing second pass rush move.
                    I will warm up to these guys and how they fit.
                    Tillery. JJones. Jenkins. OK.
                    Adderley. Joshua Kelley. KJ Hill. Joe Reed. A work in progress.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

If Tillery can't cut the mustard in Staley's system by the end of TC, cut him and replace him with someone who can...

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                        I hope the back is on the heal, LCB.

My takeaways are Steve shares superb Sgt. Rock Floyd Peters stories first and foremost, and the Double Eagle will be referred to as Tite formation in Staley's nomenclature. Also appears, to me based on interviews w/ Staley, the base front will 3-4 OVER similar to Chicago's 2018, and the defensive backfield a nickel package. With multitudes of variations.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

There's been those of us who have been saying this for a while. How the team needs a good pass rusher on the interior. It's contributed a lot to the team's failures in late stretches during games.

Our best player at that was Tillery. He has more work to do to improve his game, and Lynn and Bradley used him on the edge more where he isn't really good to be used there full time. Jones isn't much of a pass rusher although he tries. The only time last season Jones got a sack was in the Falcons game.

Comment

Working...
                          X