• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe Sweet Feet can coach up Tevi and Pip...and Lamp...and Feeney...so they can be capable backups...
    Hey. Don’t say no to the possibility of improvement. Better coaching does make a difference.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
      Thoughts on Alejandro Villanueva?
      His play has declined each of the past 2 seasons.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Start building an O-line now. It may take a couple of years. Keeping a Charger QB upright at the expense of the running game isn't where it's at, hasn't been for a long time. Tell me when the Chargers had an O-Line of note? 10 years ago? LT did. Human cannon ball Ryan Mathews didn't, god bless him.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
          San Diego Native
          • Feb 2019
          • Farmington, NM
          • Send PM

Villanueva graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, served as a member of the 1st Ranger Battalion, attained the rank of Captain, and was awarded a Bronze Star for Valor.

Even without much left in the tank (if true), Villanueva should be considered on character alone. I see him having the type of impact on the Chargers that Andrew Whitworth had on the Rams. He's got to be an improvement over the chuckle-heads we've run out at OLT for the past few years. He would make a decent mentor and role model while providing a 1-2 year bridge to the rookie tackle I hope TT drafts at the top of this draft. I'd rather have a cagey seasoned vet like Villanueva protecting Justin's blind side than a rookie. As long at the contract is reasonable, I like the fit.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

...Villanueva.. .
            Trap. No mentor value even. This is a daring new era. TT maybe not getting burned in FA.
            Last edited by Caslon; 01-28-2021, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

His play has declined each of the past 2 seasons.
              Wierd.....that coincides with.....hey!

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Is it not odd that we hired the assistant to the regional manager offensive line coach before we hired the actual offensive line coach?

And what is the deal with Jay Rodgers coming over from the Bears? Was that just a false rumor from the many talking heads? Have not heard anything about him and Hill did say Giff Smith is staying more than once. Rodgers is supposed to be a great coach that doesn't want to be part of the lame duck Nagy staff next season.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

AV better days are behind him and this point probably wouldn't be much better then what we've had at LT.

Their other FA OL is Matt Feiler (OG) now he might be worth considering...certainly outplayed his contract.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

As much as everyone around here likes to bag on PFF,
                    it is surprising y'all are not down with the idea of Villanueva coming to LAC at $17 million per year. :blahblah:

Maybe they know something you don't. :lol:

We could spend money elsewhere and draft different position groups.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Hey. Don’t say no to the possibility of improvement. Better coaching does make a difference.
                      I hope at least 2 of those 4 can be coached up to solid starter...

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

There's how its done, upgrade the talent and coaching.

Cleveland Browns general manager Andrew Berry headed into the 2020 offseason knowing that he had to fix the offensive line if the Browns were going to have any chance at success.

Berry brought in a new starting left tackle via the draft in Jedrick Wills Jr. and a new starting right tackle via free agency in Jack Conklin. They joined incumbents Joel Bitonio at left guard and JC Tretter at center, along with right guard Wyatt Teller, who worked hard in the offseason to transform from a marginal player to one of the league’s best at his position.

Finally, head coach Kevin Stefanski added one of the top offensive line coaches in the game by hiring Bill Callahan to be a member of his coaching staff.

There were a few bumps along the way with injuries, but the offensive line worked through it to help the Browns finish the season ranked third in rushing yards, tied for fifth in rushing yards per carry, fifth in rushing touchdowns, second in runs of 20-plus yards, and allowing just 26 sacks.

That collective effort helped carry the Browns to the playoffs for the first time since 2002 and earned the offensive line Pro Football Focus’ top ranking as the league’s best unit:
                        This is the culmination of an offseason dedicated to improving the offensive line and improving players such as Wyatt Teller who were already in Cleveland. The Browns closed the 2019 regular season ranked 23rd on this same list, and we jumped them to sixth in the league entering the 2020 season following the additions of Jedrick Wills Jr. in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft and Jack Conklin in free agency.

Those two additions bolstered the weakness that the Browns had at tackle in 2019, particularly at right tackle. Conklin ended the 2020 season as the highest-graded right tackle in the league at 84.3 overall, and he was the only right tackle in the NFL to allow a pressure rate below 3.0% on 250 or more pass-blocking snaps (2.9%).

The biggest surprise on the line, though, was the man to Conklin’s left — Wyatt Teller at right guard. Teller’s 92.9 PFF grade on the year also led his position, and it served as a massive year-over-year improvement from the 56.7 overall grade we saw from him in 2019. No guard earned a positive grade on a higher percentage of his run-blocking snaps than Teller did.

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan deserves a lot of credit for the job he has done with this group this season.

It is a well-deserved honor for the linemen, and veteran Chris Hubbard deserves an honorable mention for the work he did filling in during the season while Teller dealt with various injuries.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Can't wait to see what a new coaching staff can do, we're close.

I wouldnt have my expectations too high... after all its the chargers.....

Comment

Working...
                          X