• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

Watson and a couple of 1st rounders that TT can use to whiff on OL picks with?....no thanks

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Here we come.
      5th page !

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
        Question for you guys, and I don't know exactly how to ask it but maybe you will understand.With Herbert's success do you feel that Rivers won't be missed or appreciated as much in the years to come?
        Who? Of course not. For me anyway. I still love Fouts

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Tijuana
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

Who? Of course not. For me anyway. I still love Fouts
          me too, but there were a lot of bad QBs after Fouts, if Tyrod had played the entire season maybe we would have appreciated/missed Rivers a little more, then again maybe it's just me

Comment

me too, but there were a lot of bad QBs after Fouts, if Tyrod had played the entire season maybe we would have appreciated/missed Rivers a little more, then again maybe it's just me
            If Tyrod had played the whole season, I would have appreciated Tyrod more after the season...for getting us Sewell.

Fouts and Rivers should be forever appreciated by all Chargers fans. Herbert carries the buzz factor that the Air Coryell offense had 40 years ago. I have been around for both.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Off season threads can be weird!
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Stan Humphreys - the only QB to get to the SB - also the only one to connect for a 99 yard pass (Martin) for a TD!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

What's the biggest difference between Rivers and Fouts ?
                  One was replaced faster than the other.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The big killer is Watson's salary. It would basically be a 1 year rental. If they do a post June 1st deal he would cost us $10.54 mill next season, fully guaranteed. That is $4 mill more than Herbert's cap number of $6.0 mill ($1.8 mill salary, plus $4.2 mill in prorated bonus). Not too much more and still a bargain for franchise QB salaries.

It would help Houston get back under the cap. They are something in the neighborhood of just shy of $18 mill over the cap next season.

Watsons salary has dead money, $5.4 mill, and they take the rest of the bonus on their cap in 2022 season ($16.2 mill). They save a ton of space by reducing the salary. 2022, it jumps up to $35 mill. 2023 it is down to $20 mill, but there is a $17 mill roster bonus. The last 2 years (2024, 2025) it is $32 mill each season. So that works out to a $10,5 mill savings in 2021, $18 mill plus in 2022 ... and even more in 2023-2025.

The downside is it makes Watson a 1 year rental. With the pandemic reducing the cap, no one is going to want a $35 mill salary, even if Houston is living with the bonus (consequences).

As far as production goes, right now they are fairly similar. Watson gets the nod because he is a runner, and adds production there. However, if you look carefully at the sacks, he really does hurt his numbers. Some of that is on Watson, although he is not playing behind a good OL. He doesn't help himself like Herbert does getting rid of the ball quickly. Herbert takes almost half the sacks (based on sack percent) that Watson does.

The other thing to consider is that the game has already slowed down for Watson and he has benefitted from several years of improvement. He has improved his play, but still, several years into his career, he and Herbert are on pretty much the same level as passers, and Watson is the better runner

Herbert is likely to continue his improvement as the game slows down for him. Generally, that just means improved accuracy and ball placement, which is good for us, and downright scary for everyone else. His decision making should continue to improve, again good for us, and bad for everyone else. I wouldn't trade Herbert for anyone right now.

A good link to look for potential trades is Professional Football Draft Pick Transactions (prosportstransactions.com) - if you change the team you can see what picks teams have traded.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Question for you guys, and I don't know exactly how to ask it but maybe you will understand.With Herbert's success do you feel that Rivers won't be missed or appreciated as much in the years to come?
                      The bottom line is getting to the playoffs, the championship and hopefully the SB...that will be the true measure...I felt that the choices of Norv, MM and Lynn unfortunately didn't help the Bolts all that much and wasted Rivers's talent...TT also dropped the ball a bit by not giving Rivers a better line...but let's see if the combo of a new HC and Herbie, plus shoring up our porous D makes a difference...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

This thread should be...

PERMABANNED!!!

Comment

• captaind
                          Cook This Pork Chops
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Mars
                          • Ball Holder
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                          Here we come.
                          5th page !
                          Hey, did you guys know that at one point Nate Kaeding was the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history?

Comment

Working...
                          X