• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I liked Pag's using Attaochu, Freeney and Ingram on the pass rush line with Liuget. We may not move Ingram inside full time, but I bet we continue to see him rush at DT if Attaochu can stay healthy enough to rush off the edge (although he got his sack off the stunt up the middle).
    That was the package I hoped was going to be a staple this season. It has a great blend of speed and power across the line.

Here's hoping these guys can actually stay healthy for once.

As far as Butler goes, played better, but still hugely disappointing. He has simy never taken the step we all expected him to take ever since he was lining up as a 2 down guy next to Takeo. That said, I like that they have addressed it and regardless of the contract, he's only on the field 50% of the time.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

It makes sense that this has to happen:

Eric Weddle takes over play-calling duties
      November, 24, 2014
      By Eric D. Williams

SAN DIEGO -- A job usually handled by middle linebackers around the league, San Diego Chargers free safety Eric Weddle has worn the green dot on his helmet the past two games, which means he's wearing a radio headset in his helmet so he can directly communicate with defensive coordinator John Pagano and relay the calls to the rest of his teammates.

"I'm a unique kind of guy," said Weddle, known for his long, gnarly beard. "I do a lot more than most people."

Middle linebacker Donald Butler wore the green dot earlier this season. But with the University of Washington product's reduction of playing time, coupled with Weddle's experience in the defense and the fact he doesn't leave the field, the defensive co-captain became the natural choice.

"It's been awesome," Weddle said. "It helps me because I'm not waiting for the call. And then all of the alerts from what I see, I can get it out because I'm in front of the huddle. So anything the coach is alerting me on I can get it out instead of running around the field telling each guy because I'm already in the huddle with them. So it's been good. We haven't had any mishaps."

The Chargers are 2-0 since making the switch, and have played more consistent on that side of the ball since the bye week. Weddle said he called the plays defensively three years ago, but he never consistently got back to the huddle to call the plays, something he's doing a better job this time around.

"I think it takes the burden off of other guys," Weddle said. "I can handle it. I've been in this league a long time. When you have a bunch of voices talking to you -- not only Coach [Pagano] but other players -- sometimes it can be overwhelming. But it's been good."

The Chargers have allowed just 23 points defensively in two games, holding teams to 9-of-29 (31 percent) on third down. Better communication has resulted in more consistent play.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        The Chargers have allowed just 23 points defensively in two games, holding teams to 9-of-29 (31 percent) on third down.
        And just think, the defense itself has only given up 16 points in that span, 1 TD and 3 FGs. Granted, neither the Raiders nor the Rams sport high-octane offenses, but this is still not bad at all.
        Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          It makes sense that this has to happen:
          "Middle linebacker Donald Butler wore the green dot earlier this season. But with the University of Washington product's reduction of playing time, coupled with Weddle's experience in the defense and the fact he doesn't leave the field,"

quite telling little bits there I think as apparently the coaches have now lost confidence in Butler and reduced his playing time. I was at the game yesterday and saw more Connor than anyone @ILB out there, probably followed by Gachkar. Never heard Te'o or Butler's name called, but saw Te'o a couple times including in coverage where looked pretty good on 1 particular play
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            And just think, the defense itself has only given up 16 points in that span, 1 TD and 3 FGs. Granted, neither the Raiders nor the Rams sport high-octane offenses, but this is still not bad at all.
            I sure wish our defense could find a way to cover the middle of the field and tell our DBs to turn their heads around when the ball is dropping on them in tight coverage.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              "Middle linebacker Donald Butler wore the green dot earlier this season. But with the University of Washington product's reduction of playing time, coupled with Weddle's experience in the defense and the fact he doesn't leave the field,"

quite telling little bits there I think as apparently the coaches have now lost confidence in Butler and reduced his playing time. I was at the game yesterday and saw more Connor than anyone @ILB out there, probably followed by Gachkar. Never heard Te'o or Butler's name called, but saw Te'o a couple times including in coverage where looked pretty good on 1 particular play
              Yeah, Conner had one of the biggest whiffs of the game. It was reported after the Raiders game that Conner and Butler were in base, Te'o and Gachkar in nickle, and Te'o in dime. As both Conner and Butler keep making mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised if Te'o replaces one of them in the base package as well.
              Adipose

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
                outside looking in
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post

It's funny how fans were calling for Pagano's head, When he had a depleted roster to work with. It's like saying a Ferrari Enzo sucks after driving it with 4 flat tires, And not even giving it a thought of how fast it would be with 4 new Pirellis on it
                Keep thinking that.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Yeah, Conner had one of the biggest whiffs of the game. It was reported after the Raiders game that Conner and Butler were in base, Te'o and Gachkar in nickle, and Te'o in dime. As both Conner and Butler keep making mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised if Te'o replaces one of them in the base package as well.
                  Conner has been our best ILB the last two weeks and is probably our best ILB going forward. He did whiff on the one play, though, and the Conner/Butler duo was not kept as clean by Lissemore as they were by Carrethers the week before, but Conner has been all over the place. Butler has played better since he was put with Conner, but still has not played as well as he has in the past. The Conner/Butler duo has given us the best ILB play we have had this entire season.

The coaches seem to have figured out (finally) that in order to stop the run, we need both of our more stout ILBs in the game at the same time because neither Te'o nor Gachkar can get the job done against the run. The softer Te'o and Gachkar are better for passing situations than Conner and Butler, so the pairings make perfect sense and I hope that we continue to play them just as we have in the past two games.

I just wish we could get the bigger Carrethers back out in the starting lineup. We did a great job against the run against Oakland right up until he got hurt. Hopefully, our coaches took notice and understand the value of shutting down the run and getting the team into known passing situations so we can take advantage of them with our pass defense personnel. It all starts with stopping the run from a place of power/strength up front and in the middle. It's about freakin' time!

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    Conner has been our best ILB the last two weeks and is probably our best ILB going forward. He did whiff on the one play, though, and the Conner/Butler duo was not kept as clean by Lissemore as they were by Carrethers the week before, but Conner has been all over the place. Butler has played better since he was put with Conner, but still has not played as well as he has in the past. The Conner/Butler duo has given us the best ILB play we have had this entire season.

The coaches seem to have figured out (finally) that in order to stop the run, we need both of our more stout ILBs in the game at the same time because neither Te'o nor Gachkar can get the job done against the run. The softer Te'o and Gachkar are better for passing situations than Conner and Butler, so the pairings make perfect sense and I hope that we continue to play them just as we have in the past two games.

I just wish we could get the bigger Carrethers back out in the starting lineup. We did a great job against the run against Oakland right up until he got hurt. Hopefully, our coaches took notice and understand the value of shutting down the run and getting the team into known passing situations so we can take advantage of them with our pass defense personnel. It all starts with stopping the run from a place of power/strength up front and in the middle. It's about freakin' time!
                    I've never done drugs in my life, but I would really love to try some of the shit you're smoking (after you give thelightningwill a cut, of course).

Conner and Butler have been our best ILBs?? WTF?!? You are just trying to wind me up, aren't you? (And it's working!)

Over the past 2 weeks, our best ILBs have been (1) Gachkar, (2) Te'o, (3) Conner, (4) Butler. But Conner is a liability against the pass and Gachkar against the run. Our best all-around ILB -- and it isn't even close -- has been Te'o. Butler has the athleticism to be the best of the group, but aside from one decent game his head hasn't been in it. Conner is a thumper, but he keeps making mistakes.

I like the coaching staff's decision to go Conner/Butler in base, Te'o/Gachkar in nickle, and Te'o in dime, as that keeps the players fresh and plays to their strengths. But if they had to pick 1 ILB to play in all 3 packages, I guarantee you it would be Te'o, not Conner, despite your ridiculous man-crush on him.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

I've never done drugs in my life, but I would really love to try some of the shit you're smoking (after you give thelightningwill a cut, of course).

Conner and Butler have been our best ILBs?? WTF?!? You are just trying to wind me up, aren't you? (And it's working!)

Over the past 2 weeks, our best ILBs have been (1) Gachkar, (2) Te'o, (3) Conner, (4) Butler. But Conner is a liability against the pass and Gachkar against the run. Our best all-around ILB -- and it isn't even close -- has been Te'o. Butler has the athleticism to be the best of the group, but aside from one decent game his head hasn't been in it. Conner is a thumper, but he keeps making mistakes.

I like the coaching staff's decision to go Conner/Butler in base, Te'o/Gachkar in nickle, and Te'o in dime, as that keeps the players fresh and plays to their strengths. But if they had to pick 1 ILB to play in all 3 packages, I guarantee you it would be Te'o, not Conner, despite your ridiculous man-crush on him.
                      What I said was that Conner and Butler have been our best ILBs over the last two weeks. Conner has done the best job in his designated role on the team versus all of the linebackers. Therefore, assuming the designated roles continue, I see no reason why Conner will not be our best ILB going forward.

I think Te'o and Gachkar are better than Conner and Butler in pass coverage, which is why they are playing in those situations. I reject the notion that Te'o is anywhere near as good as Conner versus the run. While the splitting of snaps in the different roles does have the byproduct of keeping the players fresh, I do not believe that is the main reason why it is being done.

Clearly, the team recognizes that Conner is much better against the run than Te'o. Te'o is not starting because they would rather risk Conner against a pass on first down in base than they would Te'o against the run at this point. As I have been saying all season long, our primary defensive weakness has been against the run, not the pass and the coaches have finally decided to do something about it. That's why Te'o is not a starter and is not playing in base formations.

Naturally, the player you are pumping, Te'o, was dead last in the number of plays made among all 4 of the ILBs in both of the last two games, but you go right ahead and keep on smoking what you have been smoking if it makes you feel better.

Finally, I would note that Conner seems to be improving against the pass. Earlier this year, he was not close versus the pass. Against the Rams, I noticed that he was coming close to making some nice plays--he barely missed batting down a pass, he got good depth and almost prevented a pass on a play where he did not have the primary coverage. I don't think Te'o would have made those plays either. I think Conner is getting better against the pass with more playing time.

Really, the only play he missed (and, of course, the only the play you pointed out in two otherwise good games by Conner) was where he tried to nail the RB for a two yard loss. Of course, he is the only ILB on the team that would have been close to making that play for a loss, but the RB did a nice job of using Conner's aggressiveness and quickness against him. All players miss a tackle due to the opponent making a good move. It happens from time to time. I hope that does not dissuade Conner from trying to get into the backfield because that will help us more times than not.

Lastly, I have no man crush on Conner, but I do recognize that he has been an unexpectedly nice pickup as he has been arguably our best player on special teams this year (has to be either him, Ajirotutu or Stuckey) and our best ILB. That isn't bad for a guy who I think we all thought was not supposed to be anything more than bottom of the roster depth for us. I like it when guys like Conner and Oliver give us unexpected value for not a lot of money. That's a good thing.
                      Last edited by Yubaking; 11-26-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• SFW
                        PB Official Game Thread Starter
                        • Jul 2013
                        • NY
                        • USMC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                        What I said was that Conner and Butler have been our best ILBs over the last two weeks.

Lastly, I have no man crush on Conner, but I do recognize that he has been an unexpectedly nice pickup as he has been arguably our best player on special teams this year (has to be either him, Ajirotutu or Stuckey) and our best ILB. .
                        So the best ILB over the last two weeks or this season? Within your same post your contradict yourself.
                        1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                        2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                        3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                        4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                        5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                        6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                        7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Yubaking
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                          So the best ILB over the last two weeks or this season? Within your same post your contradict yourself.
                          There is no contradiction at all.

Conner has been the best ILB over the last two weeks as he has been put into a role that has allowed him to establish and continue that presence. Honestly, notwithstanding Panama's seemingly skewed perception of the situation, I do not think that is even legitimately debatable. That is, Conner has been the best ILB over the last two games by a wide margin, though Gachkar made the single biggest play (but it was only one play). Assuming they do not change the roles of the ILBs, I expect Conner to be that same best ILB going forward for the rest of the season.

I think it is arguable that Conner has been our best ILB this entire season. That is what I said and you can see that in the language you quoted.

The reason why that is only arguable and not clear like the last two weeks is that Te'o had some success earlier in the year and Conner was not playing. Then, Conner was being played too much against the pass and he struggled some although he was very good against the run. But Te'o and Gachkar have consistently struggled against the run this year. Butler has sucked at times against everything, but at times he has made some plays against the run and even a few (but not many) against the pass. So I think Conner has arguably been our best ILB to this point in the season as I said, but has clearly (beyond arguably) been our best ILB over the past two weeks.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts on the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X