• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

I hope all of you know there are many other ways to turn your brain into corn muffin mash besides sustaining blows.

Chronic drug and alcohol abuse cause severe brain degeneration.

While CTE is a problem, look at Ryan Leaf. If postmortem his brain looks like Swiss cheese, you blame football concussions or the years he was abusing drugs?

Professional atheletes are wiser and take better care of themselves these days, but uppers, downers, cocaine….you name it….we’re quite common decades ago and many party’d like there was no tomorrow. That shit takes a toll. Perhaps more than concussions.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

The guy was a machine. Chargers GM at the time was a freaking owner friendly tightwad. That don’t cut it 2021.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• PR#1
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Most likely he self medicated with alcohol while suffering from CTE

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Is this before the Boston brain clinic said he had stage 2 CTE? Pretty reckless coming out with that. He ended up shooting himself like other players that had CTE did.

Tragic either way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Is this before the Boston brain clinic said he had stage 2 CTE? Pretty reckless coming out with that. He ended up shooting himself like other players that had CTE did.

Tragic either way.
              According to the article, stage 4 is the most severe. We knew of the problems he had with drinking when he was in San Diego, but he didn't have any DUIs afterward. Just a very sad story.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

So did he die from alcohol poisoning or did he commit suicide? A family relation of mine died from alcohol poisoning at age 40. So it does happen. My father drank himself to death at age 55, but it was pancreatitis that killed him, which used to kill a lot of alcoholics. I've never quite understood what Jackson died from.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  So did he die from alcohol poisoning or did he commit suicide? A family relation of mine died from alcohol poisoning at age 40. So it does happen. My father drank himself to death at age 55, but it was pancreatitis that killed him, which used to kill a lot of alcoholics. I've never quite understood what Jackson died from.
                  The ESPN article lists a number of issues that are caused by chronic alcoholism, and he had .28% BAC, which might have killed most people, but he had built a tolerance. If I recall properly, he left no note, and police did visit him, and left him finding no issues. If it was poisoning, the report would have said it, but it was classified as a 'natural death', meaning by disease, just like your father.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

VJ didn't shoot himself? I thought he did but I guess they found him dead in his room? If so then ok, I get the medical examiners story.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      VJ didn't shoot himself?

There was never any mention of a gun. He was simply found dead in his hotel room.

I had a cousin who died that way. He was a chronic alcoholic (like his father, unfortunately) and his liver burst overnight while he was sleeping. He was living alone and found several days later.

Comment

• JPPT1974
                        May Day 2024!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Really so sad there. As you have to really feel bad for his loved ones!

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

My father drank heavily his entire adult life. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis at age 55 and he withered away over about a 6 month period and spent his final 2-3 months in the hospital. I think that alcoholic pancreatitis develops over decades, I get the impression it wouldn't afflict someone as young as Vincent Jackson, but I don't know for sure. Plus my father's pancreas might have been damaged while he was a POW in Germany.

My family relation who died from alcohol poisoning went kind of suddenly, and he was about only about 40. He seemed to have a death wish and just couldn't stop drinking. His body just shut down on him and he died a few days after being hospitalized. This sounds more like what happened to VJ, if he indeed did not take his own life.

Comment

Working...
                          X