Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Alcoholism is a disease, not a lack of character. Addiction is hereditary, like heart disease. Both run rampant in my extended families. It's time to remove the stigma from alcoholism. People shouldn't feel shame for falling victim to a disease. Neither should their families.
    yes and no imo
    using the disease model to understand addiction is also limited and can backfire on people predisposed to addiction in general.
    Addiction is hereditary but full blown alcoholism involves behavioral steps, that can absolutely be avoided with enough education, awareness and discipline
    When to equate alcoholism to its addiction, the physiological disease, you inadvertently skip these behavioral steps and their implied responsibilities

I get the point you’re making and applaud it, but it’s dangerous and frankly, character itself can also be seen through the disease model if one were so inclined and could be argued that people who fall victim to “lack of character” shouldn’t feel shame for having dispositions towards bad behaviors, lack of modeling (environment), trauma response etc.
    My point is that you don’t need to degenerate one population to liberate another
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

VJ's family has donated his brain to the Boston facility to be examined for CTE.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-18-2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        VHS family has donated his brain to the Boston facility to be examined for CTE.
        Excellent.

The (BDR) Brain Donation Registry is the place to sign up.
        The concussion legacy research is a good thing to do if you’ve had multiple head traumas/concussions.
        I’ve about close to a dozen documented concussions and probably an equal or greater amount that weren’t.

I need a helmet.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Excellent.

The (BDR) Brain Donation Registry is the place to sign up.
          The concussion legacy research is a good thing to do if you’ve had multiple head traumas/concussions.
          I’ve about close to a dozen documented concussions and probably an equal or greater amount that weren’t.

I need a helmet.
          Organ donation is a strange thing to see. I worked in Surgery for a long time and remember a young girl of about 17 dying by a freak injury to her temple. Her family donated everything. A ROPA team flew in from UCLA in a helicopter and harvested everything, packed them in ice chests and left. The visual of seeing that body laying there basically stapled shut and caving in on itself is an image I will never forget. I know it was good but still both creepy and sad to see.

As for myself, I have agreed to have my body donated to science fiction.

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

And that is a reason why I quit drinking over two years ago.
            You have a lot to be proud of, very few are able to pull out.

Something like only 1 in 35 with this affliction are able to recover, the rest drink until they die.

I am very happy for you, congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

If the medical examiner sees a seriously damaged liver then it's safe to conclude he's an alcoholic. Jackson always looked melancholy and now we know why the chargers really didn't want to re-sign him. We we're always told that he had an attitude problem but I think his potential substance abuse was a bigger issue. Even after his death the family is trying to hide this.
              It was pretty obvious that he had a drinking problem when he was playing for the Chargers when he pleaded guilty two different times to DUI charges.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Comparing careers beyond 4 years is irrelevant until both have the same # of years.
                MikeDub’s best years are ahead just like VJ’s past year 4.
                He may become a better WR than he is currently or he may not. And if he does, will it be with the Chargers?

To Velo's points, MW goes too much for the spectacular plays and fancy stuff. What you call the highlight plays. It leads to him getting hurt. And injuries are still a concern with him. The coaches should help him out with this too, especially with new coaches on board with the team. MW has to work on getting more of the simple catches, something he did show glimpses of, but don't do enough of, and work on his craft in order to expand his game. How he will improve, part of it will be on the coaches, and part of it on himself.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

He may become a better WR than he is currently or he may not. And if he does, will it be with the Chargers?

To Velo's points, MW goes too much for the spectacular plays and fancy stuff. What you call the highlight plays. It leads to him getting hurt. And injuries are still a concern with him. The coaches should help him out with this too, especially with new coaches on board with the team. MW has to work on getting more of the simple catches, something he did show glimpses of, but don't do enough of, and work on his craft in order to expand his game. How he will improve, part of it will be on the coaches, and part of it on himself.
                  I think part of the issue he has to make spectacular plays is because he doesnt have the elusiveness and route running to create separation like KA. Keenan just gets open even though he is far from the fastest or biggest guy.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I think part of the issue he has to make spectacular plays is because he doesnt have the elusiveness and route running to create separation like KA. Keenan just gets open even though he is far from the fastest or biggest guy.
                    Keenan has good short area burst - fast off line - and extraordinary agility to make those quick moves that turn DBs inside out trying to follow.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I had a family member that committed suicide in a hotel room...I think the location was due to her desire to not taint her home with the stigma of the event...plus to be able to carry out the act undisturbed...sad, shocking...prayers for VJ's family...he was one of the best ever...RIP...
                      Very sad to hear

Aside from possible CTE issues, I've read that 95% of all NFL players are completely broke within 2 years of retirement. Bad investments or just blowing through their money.

So unless they go into announcing, coaching, or some type of football analysis work, there is not alot of work out there for them.

I can't help but think if VJ had some meaningful work and a purpose he would still be alive

RIP VJ

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Good article about VJ and other players struggling post career.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          Good article about VJ and other players struggling post career.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs...mpression=true
                          Reading this reminds me of what Nick Hardwick wrote two years ago. I think the NFL should try to make programs, like one Nick undergoes, available to all players transitioning to post NFL life. I know that players still need to be proactive but many probably don’t know.

Comment

Working...
                          X