POLL: If Farley Or Surtain Are There At #13, What Do We Do?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

BTW Topcat. I rashly tried to vote for "tradedown" when I first saw the poll. Tried it twice and it would not register my vote. Switched to stay at 13 and draft OT.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

The MVP of any team is their franchise QB (if they have one). I think Herbert is likely a franchise QB and I think it's crazy to draft a CB and roll the dice on keeping Herbert healthy. Dion Sanders #2 couldn't help you a lot if you don't have a QB!

This team isn't going to be a SB contender in one year no matter how great a CB we can draft. We have too many weak spots to try to fix it enough this year. I'd fix the OL to protect my QB and give my RB's some daylight to run to. One step at a time.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        wu has a secret plan...soon.
        Let me guess...I can just see it all now...Wood rolls out some NEW WEAPONS...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
          BTW Topcat. I rashly tried to vote for "tradedown" when I first saw the poll. Tried it twice and it would not register my vote. Switched to stay at 13 and draft OT.
          Interesting...it may be best to stay put at #13 and get our choice of some nice OT's, and grab a corner in round 2...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

No it won't be easy to get to a top 10 defense. Just because James is back and a top pick CB is inserted into the lineup. This team needs to get more pass rushers, and not just one or two guys who can do it all the time. This is one of the things last year that contributed to the late game collapses so many times. They need a pass rusher at DT, something that has been a big weakness of this team for a long time now. Another is better linebackers in coverage. The linebackers we have who were supposedly good at coverage leave more to be desired.

Don't worry about over-drafting. This team has more weaknesses than many here want to admit.
            Maybe I should start up a pass rusher poll...

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

What about all those times Hayward got burned for big gainers and TD's? Poor CB play definitely a factor in at least SOME of those losses...and BTW, agree with u that stability at LT is paramount...
              There D was the biggest problem last year: Herbert generally bailed out the offense.

But Jalen Ramsey would not have made them a playoff team.

All those instances i cited were just misses in getting into the playoffs; they made it in with sharice wright and a group of journeymen one year for Christ's sake

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                The MVP of any team is their franchise QB (if they have one). I think Herbert is likely a franchise QB and I think it's crazy to draft a CB and roll the dice on keeping Herbert healthy. Dion Sanders #2 couldn't help you a lot if you don't have a QB!

This team isn't going to be a SB contender in one year no matter how great a CB we can draft. We have too many weak spots to try to fix it enough this year. I'd fix the OL to protect my QB and give my RB's some daylight to run to. One step at a time.
                See...I can't get behind this kind of thinking. I'm not giving up the chance to draft our #1 CB to take a lineman with a second round grade...not when I can get another lineman just like him in...well...the second round! If Surtain and Farley are there, (and this is really a ridiculous scenario but I'll play along,) then Slater and Sewell are gone, the only two lineman I would take over the CBs...cept maybe Little, but I think you can get him in the second anyway.

Look...last year we needed QB....so if Herbert is gone, does that mean we should have taken Hurts or Eason with our #6?

Lockdown corners are very important, just like LTs...I would rather take a top 10 talent at CB, than a LT who's talent level compares to a grouping of tackles that can be had in the second round...that's all I am saying.
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

See...I can't get behind this kind of thinking. I'm not giving up the chance to draft our #1 CB to take a lineman with a second round grade...not when I can get another lineman just like him in...well...the second round! If Surtain and Farley are there, (and this is really a ridiculous scenario but I'll play along,) then Slater and Sewell are gone, the only two lineman I would take over the CBs...cept maybe Little, but I think you can get him in the second anyway.

Look...last year we needed QB....so if Herbert is gone, does that mean we should have taken Hurts or Eason with our #6?

Lockdown corners are very important, just like LTs...I would rather take a top 10 talent at CB, than a LT who's talent level compares to a grouping of tackles that can be had in the second round...that's all I am saying.
                  If i thought Farley & Surtain were lock down corners (guys who automatically negate opposing teams #1 wide out), then i would agree.

I am not certain that they are; so the argument could be twisted the other way: just get a cb in the 2nd round.

They won't be hanging around at pick #13 if any GM in the top 12 thinks they are that good.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If i thought Farley & Surtain were lock down corners (guys who automatically negate opposing teams #1 wide out), then i would agree.

I am not certain that they are; so the argument could be twisted the other way: just get a cb in the 2nd round.

They won't be hanging around at pick #13 if any GM in the top 12 thinks they are that good.
                    Sure they could if these teams wanting a QB start a run and overdraft them in front of us. That would be 5 players right there. Then you have Sewell, Slater, Parsons, Pits, Waddle, Smith,, Chase perhaps one of the CBs.

Derwin fell to us later than 13.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

If Farley is there, we best sprint to the podium.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                        If Farley is there, we best sprint to the podium.
                        TT says our Corners are there.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

TT says our Corners are there.
                          There where?

TT will drop some generic truths while blowing smoke.

Comment

Working...
                          X