• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    I like Ballast Point in little Italy. If you like IPA, their Sculpin is really good. They got it on nitro tap at their tasting room in little Italy.
    Wheels, I see 3 Ballast Point Brewing spots on the map. Safe to assume they're all the same? One is real close to my brothers place.
    sigpic

Comment

• Wheels
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • San Diego
      • Send PM

Little Italy is right near Lindbergh field and downtown San Diego. East of Harbor drive between Laurel and about Ash street. I think there are a few in town, not exactly sure, this one is close to my work, so it's the one I like to visit.

Nitro taps use nitrogen instead of CO2, so they get that kind of head you're used to from a Guiness. http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-...eers-explained

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Excellent! It looks like Green Flash, Ballast, Stone and Mike Hess are all do-able. I'm really looking forward to this.
        sigpic

Comment

• mikec
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The new Ballast Point in Mira Mesa is really big, with a restaurant (haven't tried or heard anything about the restaurant yet). 70 beers on tap (obviously not all their own). The other two locations are just tasting rooms. The one in Linda Vista is pretty small and the one in Scripps Ranch is fairly big, but IIRC, there wasn't a lot of seating (there's not a lot of seating at Green Flash either, only outside at a few picnic tables).

There are several great breweries in Mira Mesa: Green Flash and Ballast Point are the big ones. I also really like Alesmith, Societe, Rough Draft, Pacific Brewing (two ex-Stone guys with a tiny place), Intergalactic (Mom and popish place), New English (if you're not a hop-head), Council Brewing, Hess's original place (really tiny and hard to find), White Labs (if you're into brewing at all, they have flights of five beers with the same base but fermented with different yeasts). I'd skip St. Archer, 32N and 2Kids.

North Park has Hess, Belching Beaver and Fall Brewing, which are all good. And there are tons of pubs with lots of craft beers on tap.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by mikec View Post
            The new Ballast Point in Mira Mesa is really big, with a restaurant (haven't tried or heard anything about the restaurant yet). 70 beers on tap (obviously not all their own). The other two locations are just tasting rooms. The one in Linda Vista is pretty small and the one in Scripps Ranch is fairly big, but IIRC, there wasn't a lot of seating (there's not a lot of seating at Green Flash either, only outside at a few picnic tables).

There are several great breweries in Mira Mesa: Green Flash and Ballast Point are the big ones. I also really like Alesmith, Societe, Rough Draft, Pacific Brewing (two ex-Stone guys with a tiny place), Intergalactic (Mom and popish place), New English (if you're not a hop-head), Council Brewing, Hess's original place (really tiny and hard to find), White Labs (if you're into brewing at all, they have flights of five beers with the same base but fermented with different yeasts). I'd skip St. Archer, 32N and 2Kids.

North Park has Hess, Belching Beaver and Fall Brewing, which are all good. And there are tons of pubs with lots of craft beers on tap.
            All good stuff. Thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

• Wheels
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

The little Italy one is pretty decent sized and has good food. Doesn't matter that it's not really brewed there, they have a big selection. The bonus is you can walk the area afterwards, or even take a walk/trolly/cab/uber to the gaslamp.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                All good stuff. Thanks!
                Hey Mako, if you need a fourth for that round of golf shoot me a PM.....I've been known to hit the little white ball around from time to time.
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  Hey Mako, if you need a fourth for that round of golf shoot me a PM.....I've been known to hit the little white ball around from time to time.
                  Will do. We'll probably be playing somewhere in Chula Vista/East Lake area, but have been known to go to other places. Lots to choose from in SD.
                  sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    Will do. We'll probably be playing somewhere in Chula Vista/East Lake area, but have been known to go to other places. Lots to choose from in SD.
                    Yes ..... plenty of courses for very budget.....I work in South Bay so I do Bonita and Eastlake quite a bid..... I splurged for a round at Maderas in November/what a great course that is,
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

The Ballast Point in Miramar/Mira Mesa has good food but it's a bit pricey.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

We have this pizzeria in town called Pie in the Sky. I think its a chain. They carry a lot of craft brews on draft and I was there last night and took some time to peruse the beer menu. They had 1 brew each from Stone, Ballast and Green Flash:smile: I tried a sample of a porter by Stone...pass. Tried a double IPA by Green Flash...Excellent! Had 2 of those. I'll have to go back and try the double IPA from Ballast.

This area of Alabama does have a strong craft brew presence but I was still surprised to see craft brews from all the way in SD out here. :cheers:
                        sigpic

Comment

• Sec-E4
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Arizona
                          • Send PM

I heard the Brass Rail has everything.....try that out

Comment

Working...
                          X