• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Villanueva is better than Pipkins, Norton. Either sign a vet or LOT at #13.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Tevi is gone...signed by the Colts...
      My point was, if Tevi is no worse than Villanueva at this point and they let Tevi walk, why would they have any interest in Villanueva, who is six years older?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

My point was, if Tevi is no worse than Villanueva at this point and they let Tevi walk, why would they have any interest in Villanueva, who is six years older?
        Yep...I'd rather sign a younger guy who is at least average...best bet is draft OT @#13, then double dip for depth later on...

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...I'd rather sign a younger guy who is at least average...best bet is draft OT @#13, then double dip for depth later on...
          Yeah, all signs point to drafting an LT at #13, unless the value is already off the board.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Tevi is not where close to as good..... Rivers and Herbie make quick decisions and offense is designed to get rid of ball quickly..... Big Ben waits forever for deep routes to open up and hangs onto ball too long.... and adding an all pro center and 2 solid OG's makes playing LT much easier than it has been last several years..... with jailbreaks coming at Rivers right up the middle..... Villanueva would be a solid add..... buying time for draft choices to mature.....

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Tevi is not where close to as good..... Rivers and Herbie make quick decisions and offense is designed to get rid of ball quickly..... Big Ben waits forever for deep routes to open up and hangs onto ball too long.... and adding an all pro center and 2 solid OG's makes playing LT much easier than it has been last several years..... with jailbreaks coming at Rivers right up the middle..... Villanueva would be a solid add..... buying time for draft choices to mature.....
              Not to mention the poor backup qb player in Pittsburgh in 2019.
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                Villanueva is better than Pipkins, Norton. Either sign a vet or LOT at #13.
                How bout both?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I get it, Villanueva's play is declining and it is noticeable. But lets back off of the hyperbole and put down the illegal substances for a moment. It would take several more seasons of rapid declining for him to perform below Tevi. Tevi was the Feeney of left tackles, his best day is 99% of the rest of the leagues LT's bad days.

That being said I do not want us to sign Villanueva, I just wanted to pump the brakes on the insanity for a bit.
                  Well said. Villanueva had a poor 2020, most especially the last half of the season. And there was a bit of decline in 2019 from prior levels, too. That said, even at 2020 level he is a big step up for the Chargers at LT. A middling LT is a big improvement for this line. And he would play next to Feiler so there is a lot of familiarity there.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Riley Reif and Sam Tevi were signed and Villanueva is still waiting.....that should tell you something.

Rumor is probably Villanueva's agent trying to drum up interest.

Comment

• bman6555
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

It is all about term and money. I wouldn't mind a 1-2 year deal with incentives.

We have to be realistic with our options at this point. Would I want a better player, yes, but even if Villanueva is 15-20th ranked LT in the league this year that is good enough for what we need and a big step up from Tevi.

You have to look at the alternatives, which are as of right now, trade for Orlando Brown Jr, or draft a tackle and hope they can play day #1. The only other LTs out there are Fisher who is injured, Okung, and pretty much nothing else.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Id take him for a reasonable deal for a year or 2. We have injuries and even if we take LT in the draft hes going to get playing time not by fire that way. We need some youth at OT. That said a journeyman long in the tooth would be welcomed but he better know the big dollar signings are done so if wants to play for a good team he should get a reasonable deal done predraft or he loses leverage.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                          The Precious
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

He’s not a kneeler and took a lot of shit for it too. So there’s that.

Comment

Working...
                          X