Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    If we were to sign Wisniewski to play Center, that would leave Watt free to play the position he played in college. And we could still spend a high draft pick (2nd round) on the OL. Bolstering the OL in such a fashion would prove, to me at least, that they are serious.

But I agree with Dr. D...just re-signing Dunlap and signing Franklin is not nearly enough.
    Wat
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I'm inclined to believe that if they don't sign someone else, either RT or RG...then that becomes a high draft pick as well. Round 1 or 2.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
        I'm inclined to believe that if they don't sign someone else, either RT or RG...then that becomes a high draft pick as well. Round 1 or 2.
        I think they bring in a few vets to round out the line, later on in FA. I don't see a top pick on oline. I see them addressing skill positions.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          That's fine. The point I'm trying to make is do not stop with Franklin. Keep upgrading.
          I've been making the same argument. So we have Dunlap back at his best/normal position and the other 4 spots still in flux- with Fluker, Franklin, Wat to fill 3 of them. Some might like the "versatility" of that, but I call it uncertainty for finding our best starting OLs- especially on the interior where it is most critical. To me, the fastest fix is Wat at his natural position of LG, Frankin RG, Fluker another year at RT and then the biggest question mark is finding our best OC of the future. If I'm TT, that means trading for a vet if possible (N.O. just did), AND using a high draft choice, AND letting Robinson battle them in TC for the winner. No experiments converting guys as starters this year.

For backups, Sirles looked promising and I suspect Rinehart could come back cheaper if nobody else signs him? Troutman showed he is not NFL caliber even as a backup and should have been gone before Rine- except for the $ factor. Maybe TT can sucker somebody into trading for him. Michael Harris or the other guy (Willie Davis was it?) should be brought back to compete if still under contract or cheap re-signs.

The priority has to be getting at least 1 more Blue Chipper somewhere, somehow and beefing the interior OL or the offense will never reach potential even if we somehow avoid the injury bug this year.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Porkchops is back on the menu boys! (we're in trouble)
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

So correct me if Im wrong....Ohrnberger is a UFA. I know he had the back issues least year but I think if he's healthy he's our stopgap guy that plays Center and Guard. He was pretty decent at Center I felt and stepped in nicely. He was on a cheap vet min deal last year. I would like him back in the same capacity if he's healthy. I doubt he gets a lot of action and he knows our offense so if we are patient I think we will get some look sees at other guards/centers out there and sign him cheap to throw in the mix to compete it out.

I DO NOT WANT TROUTMAN. He stinks and did not improve last year. Maybe he can improve but geez he was horrid last year in his stints.

I think we should draft another G/C prospect in the top 4 picks....get a guy every year that drops that has talent to be upcoached. We obviously get injuries so will need young cheap guys to fill the pipeline. We should be able to get a good Guard somewhere in this draft but I think not necessarily a top pick. I'd rather go RB or OLB/DT/DB with the first pick.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                So correct me if Im wrong....Ohrnberger is a UFA. I know he had the back issues least year but I think if he's healthy he's our stopgap guy that plays Center and Guard. He was pretty decent at Center I felt and stepped in nicely. He was on a cheap vet min deal last year. I would like him back in the same capacity if he's healthy. I doubt he gets a lot of action and he knows our offense so if we are patient I think we will get some look sees at other guards/centers out there and sign him cheap to throw in the mix to compete it out.

I DO NOT WANT TROUTMAN. He stinks and did not improve last year. Maybe he can improve but geez he was horrid last year in his stints.

I think we should draft another G/C prospect in the top 4 picks....get a guy every year that drops that has talent to be upcoached. We obviously get injuries so will need young cheap guys to fill the pipeline. We should be able to get a good Guard somewhere in this draft but I think not necessarily a top pick. I'd rather go RB or OLB/DT/DB with the first pick.
                agree with you on Ohrn- I liked him since filling in for Hardwick in the playoff game. Totally agree about Troutman, I said before LAST year he had no business starting after watching his few starts @ LG in 2013 and he was worse @ RG this year. Tyrone Green the 2nd- C-YA!. Disagree about need for high pick though. We MUST have at least 1 more Blue Chip OL starter from this year's draft, and forget the C/G combo guys- get a superior college C or G and plug him in so we can solidify all the other spots. Those guys nearly always come at the top of the draft. I think it would be a travesty if we take a RB before that OL starter. We are a "RB by Committee" team and we already have 3 members of that committee. There's some hate on here for DBrown, but TT loves him and I don't think you just cut the guy after 1 somewhat disappointing season. He's under contract and IMO he stays- or else you create an additional hole to fill when its not urgent to do that. If we actually upgrade the OL and everyone else can run behind it except him- yep the hate is justified and you cut him even in midseason if you have to upgrade. In addition to upgrading the OL, they might want to look at going to H-Back or 2 TE scheme this year which further reduces the need for a top pick on a RB.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

I thought the rule of thumb was you dont take an OG in the first...at a min till the later part of round one. I think we can get a damned goog OG or C in the 2nd or possibly 3rd. I think its BAA with tendency towards our holes being filled. Without Mathews i just dont think we have a legit 1/2 down bavk....im not sold on Oliver to want to go into this season with him nor Donald. If we have Gurley or Gordon available we probably take him. i dont expect we would risk trading back but its a possibility we could to pick up a 3rd. My gut says we go RB if either of them are there and we are set for a new RB with high talent in SD. Then go OL OR DL/OLB in 2 and 3

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    I thought the rule of thumb was you dont take an OG in the first...at a min till the later part of round one. I think we can get a damned goog OG or C in the 2nd or possibly 3rd. I think its BAA with tendency towards our holes being filled. Without Mathews i just dont think we have a legit 1/2 down bavk....im not sold on Oliver to want to go into this season with him nor Donald. If we have Gurley or Gordon available we probably take him. i dont expect we would risk trading back but its a possibility we could to pick up a 3rd. My gut says we go RB if either of them are there and we are set for a new RB with high talent in SD. Then go OL OR DL/OLB in 2 and 3

what comes 1st, chicken or egg? Fix the OL once and for all and it gives us better run game production through multiple RBs that have shorter careers and aren't the focus of offenses like they used to be.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

If the big needs are RB, G and/or C by the time the draft rolls around, then maybe this is the year to trade down and get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds since that's where the value is typically at.

I don't like the idea of drafting a RB in the 1st round since he'd be a two down player with Woodhead and Oliver around.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

A great rb will get 1000-1200 yards or more, same as a great wr. What's with the number of downs played? And a great rb opens the d up for the wr to get his yards. 8 in the box makes life so much easier for the wr.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          A great rb will get 1000-1200 yards or more, same as a great wr. What's with the number of downs played? And a great rb opens the d up for the wr to get his yards. 8 in the box makes life so much easier for the wr.
                          If 1000 yards equals a great RB almost half the starting RBs in the league are great
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X