• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

As has been stated in interviews, the Chargers moved Palmer up their boards while scouting this year's top CBs as he stood out (to them) again and again. He was a very inconsistently scouted prospects by the pundits because of Tennessee's struggles. Anywhere from 70 to 250. That means someone is wrong. You're assuming it is the people who scouted him high.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I can accept that Palmer is a willing and solid run blocker. I am not suggesting that he sucks in that area. What I am suggesting is that I see no evidence that he is special in that area. In fact, I do not see any evidence of anyone outside of this forum claiming he is special in that area.

The premise offered was that Palmer was drafted with an eye toward his run blocking. Such a statement suggests that he would possibly see the field in running situations over certain other WRs.

My point is that he will not. I think Williams and Allen are better run blockers than Palmer and Guyton is at least a push.

I have a difficult time believing 1) that the team selected a WR in the 3rd round primarily because of his ability to block in the running game and 2) of all the WRs that might actually be strong run blockers, any team would have Palmer at the top of its run blocking WR list.
      The premise stated was based on his ability to be an effective blocking in a outside zone scheme when not using a TE and FB and was part of an ongoing discussion. Where did I or anyone state the word special with regards to his blocking? it was one of many factors as to why he was drafted in comparison to other WRs. There were few well rounded receivers in this draft class that can play on the outside, slot, get off the line vs press man, track the deep ball well and block in the run game.

I'm not sure why you're focus on size comparisons as the be all and end all of effective blocking from the wide receiver position. Hines Ward, Toomer, Larry Fitzgerald, robert woods, and Jarvis Landry to name a few have all been excellent blockers and none can be classified as Big receivers . It is more about willingness and attitude than just size. Although Lazard for Green Bay is by far the best blocking wide receiver in the league and granted he's huge.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

I can accept that Palmer is a willing and solid run blocker. I am not suggesting that he sucks in that area. What I am suggesting is that I see no evidence that he is special in that area. In fact, I do not see any evidence of anyone outside of this forum claiming he is special in that area.

The premise offered was that Palmer was drafted with an eye toward his run blocking. Such a statement suggests that he would possibly see the field in running situations over certain other WRs.

My point is that he will not. I think Williams and Allen are better run blockers than Palmer and Guyton is at least a push.

I have a difficult time believing 1) that the team selected a WR in the 3rd round primarily because of his ability to block in the running game and 2) of all the WRs that might actually be strong run blockers, any team would have Palmer at the top of its run blocking WR list.
        I don’t think JP got drafted for his blocking skills.
        He got drafted for his overall talent level as a complete WR prospect to add to our WR room.
        We’ll all have to wait and see how much of a baller he is over the next 2-4 years.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

The premise stated was based on his ability to be an effective blocking in a outside zone scheme when not using a TE and FB and was part of an ongoing discussion. Where did I or anyone state the word special with regards to his blocking? it was one of many factors as to why he was drafted in comparison to other WRs. There were few well rounded receivers in this draft class that can play on the outside, slot, get off the line vs press man, track the deep ball well and block in the run game.

I'm not sure why you're focus on size comparisons as the be all and end all of effective blocking from the wide receiver position. Hines Ward, Toomer, Larry Fitzgerald, robert woods, and Jarvis Landry to name a few have all been excellent blockers and none can be classified as Big receivers . It is more about willingness and attitude than just size. Although Lazard for Green Bay is by far the best blocking wide receiver in the league and granted he's huge.
          He played for ISU where blocking is a fundamental must for WR and TE.
          Charlie Kolar in the 2022 draft at TE on day 2 for us would be fantastic.
          We would have a beastly TE group with Kolar.

Breece Hall will be RB1 in the 2022 draft.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
            As has been stated in interviews, the Chargers moved Palmer up their boards while scouting this year's top CBs as he stood out (to them) again and again. He was a very inconsistently scouted prospects by the pundits because of Tennessee's struggles. Anywhere from 70 to 250. That means someone is wrong. You're assuming it is the people who scouted him high.
            I had a hard time evaluating JP with the horrendous QB play at UTN.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

You stated (in bold),

2) both McKitty and Palmer we're drafted with an eye in part to the blocking required to run the outside zone. Was mckitty the right pick? Was he drafted too high? We shall see it's not for me to say it this time. Palmer is amore than willing blocker.

Saying that Palmer was drafted with an eye toward his ability to block in a zone scheme suggests that he is a somehow a plus run blocker (or else why would he have been drafted with an eye toward that aspect of the game). It further suggests that that would be a reason for playing Palmer over other WRs in running situations (if the team specifically needed to draft someone with that trait).

By contrast, I am saying there is zero, zip, nada in the way of evidence that suggests that Palmer is in any way special or unique as a run blocking WR. His video does not demonstrate that. No pundit that I have seen emphasizes that aspect of his game as a strength. In fairness, it is not highlighted as a weakness either. It is neither a good nor bad aspect of his game.

In fact, Palmer does not appear to be as good as either Williams or Allen as a run blocker. Reed has a heavier, sturdier build, which does not prove, but causes me to question the notion that Palmer is a better run blocker than him. As I have stated previously, Palmer is a virtual size clone with Guyton. Guyton is not known as a deficient run blocker and Palmer is not known as a strong run blocker. I see no reason to conclude that Palmer will be a better run blocker than Guyton has been.

So, that appears to make Palmer the 4th or 5th best run blocking WR among those on the 53 man roster last season. (I say that because the bigger bodied Jason Moore is on the practice squad as well.)

Absent Staley or Telesco coming out and stating that Palmer was selected with an eye toward his run blocking, I think the far more reasonable conclusion to draw is that Palmer was selected based upon the receiving based traits they saw in him as a WR. I do not agree with any sort of take that warrants him being selected at #77 overall, but I seriously doubt his run blocking was anything other than a neutral consideration that neither helped nor hurt his draft evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                Since the team selected Palmer earlier than any big board had him rated, I think the team, and not the multitude of big boards in agreement with each other, is more likely to be wrong.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Since the team selected Palmer earlier than any big board had him rated, I think the team, and not the multitude of big boards in agreement with each other, is more likely to be wrong.
                  NO THEY DIDNT. PFF had him at 70. One counter example disproves an absolute, but there were more. Doesn't matter anyway, they go on their own board. Maybe you think they evaluated him wrong, but that doesnt mean they reached for him.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ontario , Canada
                    • Send PM

My .02

My only concern is they are paying Eckler #1 RB money and he seems built to be more a 3rd down back.
                    At 200 lbs he is not built to hammer against 300 lb lineman 20 x /game and there will be injuries as we saw last year. Maybe that is why they have sort of a committee forming around him.

But he did have 1550 yds from scrimmage in 2019. He just needs to get back to that production for $6M/yr

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Palmer is a willing and able blocker. Some of the faster WR may not be willing and able blockers, and so may not have been on the board at all. I do think the Chargers run a skinny board and are quicker to disqual players than other teams.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                        My .02

My only concern is they are paying Eckler #1 RB money and he seems built to be more a 3rd down back.
                        At 200 lbs he is not built to hammer against 300 lb lineman 20 x /game and there will be injuries as we saw last year. Maybe that is why they have sort of a committee forming around him.

But he did have 1550 yds from scrimmage in 2019. He just needs to get back to that production for $6M/yr

RBs just arent paid that much (also why drafting a RB high is kinda lulz).

He's the same size as McCaffery and slightly smaller than Kamara, the top two on the list. It's almost like the RB position is evolving.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                          My .02

If we have a committee, it seems they are overpaying for him at $6M/yr but he did have 1550 yds from scrimmage in 2019.
                          Ekeler makes an average of $6.125 per year. If that’s starting RB money fantastic, but it is not. AE will play as many snaps as any of our other star skill players. AE is not a 350 carry a season back as not many are.
                          He is not a power back and as you stated we are a RB by committee backfield.
                          AE and JJacks are the scat/half backs, explosive in space, and monsters in the pass game.
                          JK and LR are all-around backs that can run, receive, and holdup in pass protection.
                          Bradwell is the big power back @230+ on the tail end of the roster.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X