Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
    It would be the ultimate irony if the 49ers traded for Rodgers. They passed on him 16 years ago and drafted Alex Smith instead.

Comment

• Silversurfer
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Los Angeles
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

It would be the ultimate irony if the 49ers traded for Rodgers. They passed on him 16 years ago and drafted Alex Smith instead.
      It would only take 3 1st round picks lol. They would want so much for his sensative ass.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I know Draft Day and Kevin Costner, but that was a mess of a movie... too contrived. "Dances With Wolves" is a beautiful movie and a classic, but my favorite movie with him in it was "The Untouchables", he was upstaged by Connery and DeNiro, though. Waterworld was ok, but Robin Hood wasn't.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Here’s Popper cheat sheet for tonight;
          https://theathletic.com/2550831/2021...ition-of-need/
          Have you been putting off your draft prep? This is the perfect place for you. Have you been devouring every piece of draft content I have written since January? This also is the perfect place for you. There are plenty of names below that I have yet to write about.

One housekeeping note before we dive in: I am not going to include full scouting reports on each individual player. I urge you to cross-reference this list with Dane Brugler’s fantastic and outrageously thorough draft guide — a.k.a The Beast — to get a deeper view of the players, including strengths, weaknesses and scheme projections. Brugler’s round grades are in parentheses after each player’s name.

Offensive tackle

• Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech (1st round)

• Sam Cosmi, Texas (2nd round)

• Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame (2nd round)

• Walker Little, Stanford (2nd-3rd round)

• Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State (2nd-3rd round)

Don’t worry. Penei Sewell is still an option if the Chargers decide to be aggressive and trade up for the Oregon tackle. But I wanted to provide some other possibilities. In my final mock draft, I had the Chargers selecting Darrisaw at No. 13 overall. Some effort consistencies showed up on Darrisaw’s Virginia Tech tape, and that is a concern. But, for me, his positive traits far outweigh that knock. He is an athletic, smooth mover at nearly 6-foot-5 and 322 pounds. He has prototypical arm length. He is physically imposing in the run game, and he can operate one-on-one with edge rushers in pass protection. The Chargers have a huge hole at left tackle, and Darrisaw would fill it. If Sewell, Rashawn Slater, Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn are all off the board at 13, I think Darrisaw is the smart pick. But if Horn falls, and the Chargers opt for the elite corner prospect with their first round pick, then they will have to address tackle in the second round. It is a deep tackle class, so this is a realistic option. I would not go this route, but the Chargers might. Cosmi, Eichenberg, Little and Radunz are all options at No. 47 in this scenario. This is a position the Chargers must address either in the first or second round, which is why I did not list any later-round possibilities.

Cornerback

• Jaycee Horn, South Carolina (1st round)

• Asante Samuel Jr., Florida State (2nd round)

• Eric Stokes, Georgia (2nd round)

• Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse (2nd Round)

• Paulson Adebo, Stanford (3rd round)

Corner is the second biggest need on the roster behind offensive tackle. If Horn is there at 13, I think the Chargers will have a hard time passing on him, unless Slater also is available. Horn possesses all the traits Brandon Staley is looking for in a corner in his scheme. Samuel is a bit undersized, but his inside-outside flexibility and polished instincts are intriguing. I do not think he makes it to 47. Same with Stokes, who has elite size and speed. I would not be surprised if Stokes goes in the late first. I mocked Melifonwu to the Chargers at 47 in my final mock. He has outstanding size and is impressively fluid in coverage. If the Chargers pass on corner in the first and second, then Adebo is the player to watch at 77. He opted out of 2020 after a down year in 2019, and that hurt his stock. But the Chargers could get a steal here. Adebo has excellent ball skills and finished his college career with 34 passes defended and eight interceptions in 22 games.

Edge rusher

• Kwity Paye, Michigan (1st round)

• Joseph Ossai, Texas (2nd round)

• Rashad Weaver, Pittsburgh (3rd round)

• Chauncey Gholston, Iowa (4th round)

• Chris Rumph II, Duke (5th round)

The Chargers have a solid edge rushing group between Joey Bosa, Uchenna Nwosu and Kyler Fackrell. But Nwosu always has been a rotational defensive player and needs to prove capable playing a larger percentage of the defensive snaps. The Chargers could very easily surprise us all and go with an edge rusher at 13. Paye is the player to watch there. He is an ideal culture fit, and Brugler described him as an “explosive athlete.” His pass-rushing toolbox is a bit “underdeveloped,” according to Brugler. But Staley came up as an outside linebackers coach and would get the most out of a player like Paye. The likelier scenario is that the Chargers wait to add an edge rusher. They could target Ossai in the second round. Coaches described his effort as “not good, not great, but phenomenal,” according to Brugler. Ossai has 29.5 tackles for loss in 22 games over his final two college seasons. He also has flexibility to play off the ball. I mocked Weaver to the Chargers in my final mock draft. I think he is in play at 97. Rumph is a player I love as a Day 3 pick — a little undersized, but highly productive at Duke with 14.5 combined sacks in 23 games in 2019-20.

Safety

• Richie Grant, UCF (2nd round)

• Andre Cisco, Syracuse (3rd round)

• Jamar Johnson, Indiana (3rd-4th round)

• Shawn Davis, Florida (5th round)

• Jamien Sherwood (6th round)

I get the sense that the Chargers are going to wait until Day 3 to take a safety. It is still unquestionably a position they must address with one of their nine picks. Grant is an ideal fit in Staley’s scheme. He has the range to play in the deep part of the field and teammates called him “an extra coach on the field.” But the Chargers drafted a safety in the second round in 2019 in Nasir Adderley, and I cannot see them using another second-round pick on that position. Cisco is coming off a torn ACL, which is a concern. If his medicals check out, though, he could be an outstanding value pick at 77. Cisco provides the type of versatility Staley covets. According to Brugler, he lined up “everywhere from single-high to middle linebacker.” Sherwood is the safety I mocked to the Chargers in the sixth round.

Offensive guard

• Alijah Vera-Turcker, USC (1st round)

• Wyatt Davis, Ohio State (2nd-3rd round)

• Aaron Banks, Notre Dame (3rd round)

• Jackson Carman, Clemson (3rd round)

• Ben Cleveland, Georgia (3rd-4th round)

The Chargers need to add offensive line talent that can impact the roster over the long term. That means both adding a tackle in the first or second round and taking a guard. I think they should look for a guard with one of their two third-round picks. Do not rule out Vera-Tucker in the first round, especially if the Chargers think he can play tackle in the NFL. I see him as a guard, and I think Darrisaw has a lot more upside. I mocked Banks to the Chargers at 77. Carman is a really interesting prospect. He was a multi-year starter at left tackle for Clemson, but his arm length will force a move to guard. That positional flexibility will be appealing to the Chargers.

Tight end

• Brevin Jordan, Miami (2nd-3rd round)

• Tommy Tremble, Notre Dame (2nd-3rd round)

• Ben Mason, Notre Dame (5th round)

• Tre’ McKitty, Georgia (5th-6th round)

• John Bates, Boise State (6th round)

I have been on the Tommy Tremble train for months. I just think he fits the Chargers’ needs perfectly. He is a pro-ready blocker with the frame and athleticism to develop into a solid pass-catching option. The Chargers are seeking blocking help in the tight end room, and they would provide Tremble with time to develop as a receiver while working alongside Jared Cook. But I think the Chargers are going to wait on this position until Day 3. I mocked McKitty to the Chargers in the fifth round. Bates would provide some juice on special teams, too. He played 525 special teams snaps in college.

Defensive line

• Tommy Togiai, Ohio State (3rd-4th round)

• Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA (4th round)

• Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame (5th round)

• Ta’Quon Graham, Texas (6th round)

• Quinton Bohanna, Kentucky (7th round)

This is a particularly weak draft for defensive linemen, so there are not a ton of options. Linval Joseph is in the final year of his deal, and finding a nose tackle replacement is on the to-do list. Togiai is absurdly strong and a terrific run defender, with some pass-rush upside. I mocked Odighizuwa to the Chargers in the fourth round. He has the length and positional flexibility Staley is looking for. Graham is another long player — he has 35-inch arms — who I think makes sense in the late rounds.

Special teams coverage

• Buddy Johnson, LB, Texas A&M (5th round)

• Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa (6th round)

• Mark Webb, S, Georgia (6th-7th round)

• Ben Skowronek, WR, Notre Dame (6th-7th round)

• Avery Williams, CB, Boise State (7th round)

The section you have all been waiting for! Seriously, though, the Chargers’ special teams coverage units were atrocious last year. They need talent. They added some solid pieces in free agency between Fackrell and former Bucs gunner Ryan Smith. But I think they need more. I mocked Niemann and Williams to the Chargers in the sixth and seventh rounds, respectively. Williams was a very productive special teams player at Boise State. I am kicking myself for not mocking Skowronek to the Chargers. He spent four years at Northwestern before transferring to Notre Dame. We all know how GM Tom Telesco feels about Notre Dame. And the Chargers have a Northwestern connection now after Staley hired Cody Cejda as his special assistant. Cejda spent a decade at Northwestern, heading the football operations department for the last eight years. Skowronek is also a really solid run-blocking wide receiver, on top of being an experienced special teams coverage player.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
            Worst movie: Waterworld?
            Worst = Postman

The Big Chill - Great movie
            All of Costner’s scenes showing his face were cut but his voice was used. So a film credit but didn’t help his career. He played the dead friend Alex. Little trivia.

Hard to rank because he has so many great movies so I’ll give a small list......

Robin Hood
            Silverado
            Untouchables
            Tin Cup
            Open Range
            Dances With Wolves
            Mr. Brooks
            Bull Durham
            Hidden Figures
            Field of Dreams
            JFK
            3000 Miles to Graceland
            Draft Day
            13 Days
            Criminal
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Worst = Postman

All of Costner’s scenes showing his face were cut but his voice was used. So a film credit but didn’t help his career. He played the dead friend Alex. Little trivia.

Hard to rank because he has so many great movies so I’ll give a small list......

Robin Hood
              Silverado
              Untouchables
              Tin Cup
              Open Range
              Dances With Wolves
              Mr. Brooks
              Bull Durham
              Hidden Figures
              Field of Dreams
              JFK
              3000 Miles to Graceland
              Draft Day
              13 Days
              Criminal
              Open Range with Duvall was damn good, often forgotten.
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Been a Chargers fan a long time. I remember waking up reading the UT San Diego finding out that Joe Washington was traded for Lydell Mitchell . If I can live through that trauma (whatever age I was) - I will make it through the draft even if Telesco picks WR at 13

But yes, good dialogue and talking draft, Chargers football!

#BoltUp
                I remember when I was at an office party on a Saturday in 1998 and I remember sneaking into the bar in a suit and seeing ESPN and asking 'Who the fuck is Mikhael Ricks?'

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Here’s Popper cheat sheet for tonight;
                  https://theathletic.com/2550831/2021...ition-of-need/
                  Skowronek makes a lot of sense. Older player - 4 at Northwestern and one at ND. Good receiver. If he can play special teams, might be worth the 7th round pick

My hope is the 6th rounders - at least one, used for either OL or DB depth. If not both

I still think the team could use a bit more depth at ST. Hoping Telesco signs a guy like Todd Davis by training camp. Just one more veteran.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                    Sorry for the lame question but I can't seem to find an actual start time for the draft!
                    Is it being held in NY? They're only 5 hours behind me.
                    I imagine our pick will be....3 hours in( 15 minutes per team, per 1st pick?)?
                    Starts 8pm E.S.T.
                    10 min Max first round.
                    Picks 1-3 will be quick.
                    Figure we pick about 1-2 hours if we stay @#13.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Worst = Postman

Robin Hood
                      Silverado
                      Untouchables
                      Tin Cup
                      Open Range
                      Dances With Wolves
                      Mr. Brooks
                      Bull Durham
                      Hidden Figures
                      Field of Dreams
                      JFK
                      3000 Miles to Graceland
                      Draft Day
                      13 Days
                      Criminal
                      Solid list. Fandango, brother. My fav. Costner. And No Way Out.

Costner has NEVER done a sequel. And he won't.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Brugler last mock had Slater falling to #13?

13. Los Angeles ChargersRashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern

The Chargers will likely explore a trade up for Sewell, but there is also a possibility that Slater falls to them. The Northwestern left tackle would give Los Angeles an upgrade blocking Justin Herbert’s blindside.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

He mentions OG position in 3rd rd. Like it even more if prospect has starting LT/RT experience like Clemson Jackson Carmen. Versatility edges out superior one position RG Aaron Banks. Plus no more Golden Domers TT you gotta kick the addiction.

Comment

Working...
                          X