• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I don't think so either. He can afford to sit and watch the stadium, see if the team is moving next year, see what kind of talent the roster has on it and then make a decision.
    This seems like a reasonable bet. Because the 2015 Chargers (even with a solid draft) still will probably be an 8-8 or 9-7 team IMO.

- Really so far we have only upgraded at LG and kick returner.
    - Only 2 out of 5 spots on the OL truly solidified; we all love Fluker but coming off a miserable season. Watt a question mark. RG a ?
    - Overall WR corps talent the same at best (assuming Stevie Johnson is as clutch as Royal was - this can improve based on what rookie WR contributions we get and if Green finally realizes potential, Jacoby Jones and Inman may contribute some)
    - Still no pass rush
    - Still no DL presence and weak up the middle of the defense in general

Even if TT nails some draft picks to address those holes you're still counting on rookies. Health/luck will certainly play big roles as they always do. I certainly don't see us as worse...but still not sure if we are substantially better either to be championship ready. Not sure what Rivers' threshold for leaving is, either.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I've been thinking about this a bit and am wondering if there just may something to this. If the team knew Rivers was interested in extending, there is zero chance they'd be flying in Mariota for a private workout. Due diligence is nice, but they would not need a private workout for that. There is also no chance that he lasts until the 17th pick in the draft. Too many teams need QBs and while he is no sure thing, there are a lot of mediocre QBs in the league now for teams not to take a gamble on him. Since Whiz is now with the Titans and loves Rivers, and they have the second pick in the draft, we would be guaranteed to get Mariota (assuming the Bucs take Winston) if we had that pick. The Titans play a little over 100 miles from where his parents live so he'd be close to his southern roots. So if Rivers let the team know he was not interested in LA and was going to walk and the Titans were willing to bowl us over with a trade, it isn't that far fetched to think something could happen. The only question is what would it take to get Rivers from us? And would the team really be willing to "officially" rebuild with a rookie QB when they are trying to get a stadium built? Or perhaps the Chargers are already planning on leaving and that will come out before the season and they will be the lame duck team so a rebuild year would make sense right now.

Lots of speculation here, but it suddenly seems not so far fetched to me...

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think Rivers is keeping his options open and probably wants to try and get a ring. Cant blame him, he's played well enough to win one.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I've been thinking about this a bit and am wondering if there just may something to this. If the team knew Rivers was interested in extending, there is zero chance they'd be flying in Mariota for a private workout. Due diligence is nice, but they would not need a private workout for that. There is also no chance that he lasts until the 17th pick in the draft. Too many teams need QBs and while he is no sure thing, there are a lot of mediocre QBs in the league now for teams not to take a gamble on him. Since Whiz is now with the Titans and loves Rivers, and they have the second pick in the draft, we would be guaranteed to get Mariota (assuming the Bucs take Winston) if we had that pick. The Titans play a little over 100 miles from where his parents live so he'd be close to his southern roots. So if Rivers let the team know he was not interested in LA and was going to walk and the Titans were willing to bowl us over with a trade, it isn't that far fetched to think something could happen. The only question is what would it take to get Rivers from us? And would the team really be willing to "officially" rebuild with a rookie QB when they are trying to get a stadium built? Or perhaps the Chargers are already planning on leaving and that will come out before the season and they will be the lame duck team so a rebuild year would make sense right now.

Lots of speculation here, but it suddenly seems not so far fetched to me...
          Hopefully the teams picking after us agree with this and trade up to grab mariota

Reality is a lot of teams use visits to throw other teams off because they know it will be public. Think about it, would you want everyone knowing who you're planning on taking? I remember last year, SD drafted someone (I think attaochu) that they never met with or talked to until after they selected him.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

If Rivers is serious about not wanting to uproot his family to LA, if the Chargers move, he could just retire after this year.

The only question is Rivers desire to keep playing stronger than his feelings about LA.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

A lot of drama this off season. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rivers playing with another team this year. I think it's the best move TT can make at this point based on what Rivers is saying.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                A lot of drama this off season. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rivers playing with another team this year. I think it's the best move TT can make at this point based on what Rivers is saying.
                Yeah, it would be great to go 4-12.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

If they trade Rivers, aren't they essentially saying we're moving to LA even before the stadium financing plan is presented?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    Yeah, it would be great to go 4-12.
                    You have to think long term when Rivers walks away after this season. That's how TT thinks.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

You have to think long term when Rivers walks away after this season. That's how TT thinks.
                      Find his replacement this year and let him learn at the master's feet. It's not certain this is Philip's last year anyway, and it's certainly not a given they'll be in LA next year.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        If they trade Rivers, aren't they essentially saying we're moving to LA even before the stadium financing plan is presented?
                        Asked on Tuesday if he thinks he will play his current contract out rather than agreeing to extend the deal that ends after the upcoming season, Rivers said, “Yes.”

Asked if he envisioned any circumstance causing him to reconsider, he said, “Honestly, nothing.”

That last sentence is a good reason to deal Rivers right now.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Asked on Tuesday if he thinks he will play his current contract out rather than agreeing to extend the deal that ends after the upcoming season, Rivers said, “Yes.”

Asked if he envisioned any circumstance causing him to reconsider, he said, “Honestly, nothing.”

That last sentence is a good reason to deal Rivers right now.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...?#article-copy
                          No it's not.

Comment

Working...
                          X