Welcome Chris Rumph II, Edge, Duke (Pick #118)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

He played regularly against good P5 teams with good OLs. His team sucked but he did not. Its not like he was beating Joe-Bob Biscuit at Eastern Valley Tech A&M. (Pipkins ... Lamp ,,, cough ...)

I like that TT is looking at players that played other football players and not romanticizing golden domes. Growth.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

In 2019 he had a better pass rush win rate than Chase Young but played at around 225-230. Last year his production slipped as he bulked up to around 240-245. The moves and skills are there, I think his success will be tied to how Staley wants to use him. This will be a great litmus test to see how Staley gets him to be productive.
      I can see the Shaun Phillips comparison......Rumph has really long arms and can make himself skinny like SP.
      Both 4rth rounders.

Saw him bat a pass in the air and turned around to almost grab it just like Phillips in 2004.

Last significant 4rth round draft pick for the Chargers.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I can see the Shaun Phillips comparison......Rumph has really long arms and can make himself skinny like SP.
        Both 4rth rounders.

Saw him bat a pass in the air and turned around to almost grab it just like Phillips in 2004.

Last significant 4rth round draft pick for the Chargers.
        I think Mr. Turner was selected in the 4th? No? Sorry I think it was the 5th round but we we're near the top so!!

:cheers:
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Im a homer Blue Devil so thrilled we picked one from my school. Admittedly I dont catch many games though. They have more bright spots than they used to though.

highlights show a good motor. He is a tool that hopefully can put on weight and be trained up with Bosa. We need rotation guys so I see him getting reps this year but not a starter.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

He plays smart and won’t make dumb plays, mentally. Half the battle sometimes for edge is not beating yourself and taking what is there. His wingspan is a plus, helps in passing lanes, pursuit, and wrapping up. Might be a year or two out but the potential is there. Derrick Barnes went a few picks before him and Jabril Cox then Ellerson Smith. So there was a run on LB position.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think Mr. Turner was selected in the 4th? No? Sorry I think it was the 5th round but we we're near the top so!!

:cheers:
              Yes, Turner went in the 5th round that year.

Darren Sproles went in the 4rth the following year....so my bad!

TT can only dream of picking up that kind of talent on day 3.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                He plays smart and won’t make dumb plays, mentally. Half the battle sometimes for edge is not beating yourself and taking what is there. His wingspan is a plus, helps in passing lanes, pursuit, and wrapping up. Might be a year or two out but the potential is there. Derrick Barnes went a few picks before him and Jabril Cox then Ellerson Smith. So there was a run on LB position.
                i really like the Rumph II pick.
                I wonder if they preferred Rumph among that group?
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-02-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i really like the Rumph II pick.
                  I wonder if they were preferred Rumph among that group?
                  Good question. The fact TT never traded up, once, this entire 2021 draft says they were confident in their board to stand pat. Of course there was a ton of support by a lot of us, guilty as charged, director and various media outlets, so have to say Rumph was sleeper of the group, and next man up.

Comment

• perryao
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

First thing i thought when I saw his vid was Sean Phillips. Others here see it too. We'll see.

Comment

• CTrout
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Good question. The fact TT never traded up, once, this entire 2021 draft says they were confident in their board to stand pat. Of course there was a ton of support by a lot of us, guilty as charged, director and various media outlets, so have to say Rumph was sleeper of the group, and next man up.
                      The Chargers were the only team that made no trades during the draft.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

He looks the part of Shaun Phillips, a long, lanky guy.

He lacks the great first step that Phillips has. If anything, he is exactly the opposite of Phillips in that regard. He is often a bit late on his take off rushing the QB. He will never be that Von Miller type of guy who runs right around the OT and all the way around the pocket to get the snap the instant the ball is snapped.

If Rumph had even a good takeoff, he would have been a 1st round pick. I think he does everything else you want a pass rusher to do pretty well. He keeps after the QB. He has a plan to set up the OL and he has a plan if that doesn't work. He can get off of blocks, and runs QB down. He is the king of the 2nd and 3rd effort. He runs nice stunts so he doesn't just have to be the featured guy to help out, he can be the guy who draws some attention to free up someone else.

The big thing is, at least last year with the Rams, they didn't need great, 1st step pass rushers. They got their sacks off of Leonard and their DL keeping the QB in the pocket and then when the 1st read wasn't their, they just ran the QB down. Bosa is still gonna be that featured edge rusher. But now with Rumph and Fackrell, we have 2 other "cleanup guys" to chase the QB down. Rams got an awful lot of sacks that way, and Fackrell and Rumph fit that mold perfectly. And they cost a hell of a lot less than the teams going after these guys with a 1st step who aren't any better pass rusher than Rumph is.

Teams that consistently rush the passer and get sacks need to take away the 1st read. Otherwise offenses will just quick pass them to death. You have to take that 1st and 2nd options away, give the rushers time to get to the QB.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Reminds me a little of Antwan Barnes.

Comment

Working...
                          X