Welcome Mark Webb, S, Georgia (Pick #241)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

You and M. Hooker. Like beach with his pet players. Who knows you may get your wish but doubt it.
    Who do think we have that is even an average player at FS right now? Adderley is below average and the rest are worse.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Who do think we have that is even an average player at FS right now? Adderley is below average and the rest are worse.
      We have DBs with position flexibility.
      Derwin makes everyone better.
      Nasir is an ascending player coming off his first year as a starter. He will improve.
      Alohi has skillset, football IQ, physical traits, leadership qualities, and a production history that Staley can use in his scheme.
      CHJR will play .05 and some disguised safety coverages.
      Webb is big, smart, explosive in short area quickness with burst/ballskills, tackles well, and has a high football IQ in regards to route combination concepts. He’ll earn his money on ST early and will work into a role with coaching, experience, and motor.

If I’m looking at a short term vet, I’ll kick the tires on Tre Boston.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I saw where he said that Adderley was their kind of guy, but I did not see anything about him giving Adderley the starting position even before training camp begins.

If he did, that seems very questionable to me since Adderley's play was roughly equal to that of Pipkins, which constituted a big hole at LT.

Of course, if we cleverly have no talent at FS on the roster, then that improves Adderley's chances considerably. And right now, we do not.

Hopefully, Telesco signs Malik Hooker ASAP.
        You are right, I went back and re-read his exact words. But the implication is that he is happy with Adderley and I did not expect a safety to be drafted, aside for depth - which is what we did.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We have DBs with position flexibility.
          Derwin makes everyone better.
          Nasir is an ascending player coming off his first year as a starter. He will improve.
          Alohi has skillset, football IQ, physical traits, leadership qualities, and a production history that Staley can use in his scheme.
          CHJR will play .05 and some disguised safety coverages.
          Webb is big, smart, explosive in short area quickness with burst/ballskills, tackles well, and has a high football IQ in regards to route combination concepts. He’ll earn his money on ST early and will work into a role with coaching, experience, and motor.

If I’m looking at a short term vet, I’ll kick the tires on Tre Boston.
          Agree on Adderley. Bradley's lame defensive scheming plus injuries, plus lack of blitz put a lot of pressure for Nasir to cover all that territory as a single high safety. Especially tough to defense those deep routes vs. 4-5 receivers in the pattern and vs. good QB's. With Staley's two deep S defense, Adderley will surprise a lot of you with solid play.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree on Adderley. Bradley's lame defensive scheming plus injuries, plus lack of blitz put a lot of pressure for Nasir to cover all that territory as a single high safety. Especially tough to defense those deep routes vs. 4-5 receivers in the pattern and vs. good QB's. With Staley's two deep S defense, Adderley will surprise a lot of you with solid play.
            About the lack of blitz; Gus didn't lack at doing it like people say he did. I posted all the instances that they show on the team's 2020 highlights where he brought the blitz in the bye bye Gus Bradley thread. You can look for every instance of the team blitzing. The linebackers who started for the team got at least 1 sack from blitzing.

When you blitz, you need the corners who can hold their guy one-on-one and lock the receivers down, and everyone else in the secondary, safeties included, to get to their assignment. The reason why Gus didn't bring the blitz like people wanted, is because the secondary was awful. Gus Bradley didn't have the corners he needed to be successful at it. Michael Davis was the only guy decent at not getting beat. There was so many times in games where the secondary would just got torched. A lot of people agreed that Casey Hayward needed to be moved on from.

Gus' scheme wasn't the problem. The roster just wasn't that good, not as good as the homers say it was. Bradley is someone who needs the right players to fit and make his scheme work. What he and Lynn constructed was a mess.

Another thing. Bradley had horrible assistant coaches who worked alongside him who contributed to the awful defensive performances. Those coaches followed him to the Raiders. This team won't be having them anymore.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Except for James coming back, this D does not look significantly different than last year. Scheme and coaching is going to have to make a huge difference to get better performance.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I saw where he said that Adderley was their kind of guy, but I did not see anything about him giving Adderley the starting position even before training camp begins.

If he did, that seems very questionable to me since Adderley's play was roughly equal to that of Pipkins, which constituted a big hole at LT.

Of course, if we cleverly have no talent at FS on the roster, then that improves Adderley's chances considerably. And right now, we do not.

Hopefully, Telesco signs Malik Hooker ASAP.
                Apparently you did not listen to the after draft press conference by the coach.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Except for James coming back, this D does not look significantly different than last year. Scheme and coaching is going to have to make a huge difference to get better performance.
                  hoping ASJ makes a big impact

On Topic:

Welcome Webb. Hope you perform your best

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

About the lack of blitz; Gus didn't lack at doing it like people say he did. I posted all the instances that they show on the team's 2020 highlights where he brought the blitz in the bye bye Gus Bradley thread. You can look for every instance of the team blitzing. The linebackers who started for the team got at least 1 sack from blitzing.

When you blitz, you need the corners who can hold their guy one-on-one and lock the receivers down, and everyone else in the secondary, safeties included, to get to their assignment. The reason why Gus didn't bring the blitz like people wanted, is because the secondary was awful. Gus Bradley didn't have the corners he needed to be successful at it. Michael Davis was the only guy decent at not getting beat. There was so many times in games where the secondary would just got torched. A lot of people agreed that Casey Hayward needed to be moved on from.

Gus' scheme wasn't the problem. The roster just wasn't that good, not as good as the homers say it was. Bradley is someone who needs the right players to fit and make his scheme work. What he and Lynn constructed was a mess.

Another thing. Bradley had horrible assistant coaches who worked alongside him who contributed to the awful defensive performances. Those coaches followed him to the Raiders. This team won't be having them anymore.
                    Well, that's good to hear...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bradley had blitzed comparatively little the years before. The type of corners he wants are off coverage corners....not the ones you'd put in man. The blitzes that he did scheme were lame and didn't have the appearance of being well practiced.

Only thing that worked over his 4 years was Desmond King coming from the slot, or Derwin from the weak side.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Ron Milus is not a horrible assistant coach. I beg to differ. Gif Smith was so good he was retained. Bradley put together defenses that were good statistically but really could not stop teams when it counted, but I don’t think it is fair to say it was because all of his assistants sucked.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Ingram is gone. He missed a lot of time last season but was always a huge part of the defense. Perryman is also gone (similar story on missing time but playing integral part when he was able). Hayword is gone, again big BIG part of the defense. So, I actually see massive changes here.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X