Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerwinBosa
    replied
    Some coaches are just meant to be assistants or coordinators. Hiring Steve Spagnuolo would feel like the defensive coordinator version of Norv Turner.

I don't see it with Bisaccia, either. I know he did well with the Raiders as the interim coach in 2021, but I don't think he would have done much with that team in the long run. Mike McCoy won a playoff game for us in 2013. After that he was a disaster. Although I liked Bisaccia a lot as our special teams coordinator about 10 years ago, I just don't think he's head-coaching material.

Leave a comment:

• AFboltfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post

Former Redskins GM Charlie Casserly used to say the most important interview questions for him was who the new HC candidate thought he could land for his new staff.

As far as the actual coaches go -

Spags - I hear what you are saying and I agree with it (plus he did a great job for the Giants as DC), but he did not do a very good job for the Rams when he was a HC before. Just saying.

Harbaugh - I like the idea of him. He comes from a WC scheme tree, but he has had some years in college without a good QB, and he is NOT a scheme guy. He will try anything if his scheme is struggling and he usually finds a way. And he was a player he was on a lot of teams that had to win through game management and is pretty good at it most of the time. Plus, if he was trying to put a staff together, I think he could probably get some pretty good guys, even if he didn't know them well.

Quinn - the only Seattle assistant who has been able to tweek the Legion of Boom style of 34/43 and make it work well outside of Seattle. A lot of other people tried and could never get it to really be that good (Gus was the next closest). Quinn got the scheme to work in Atlanta and Dallas, so it was not just one place.

Bisaccia - I still like the idea of Rich and a ST background the best.
    It would def be a gamble but Norv failed everywhere he went too but is our 3rd winningest coach. Fun fact: Spags OC was Josh McDaniel. 13 years ago is a long time... I'd give him another chance, but that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    For those of u comparing Ficken with Bisacchia, compare the two resumes. Bisacchia has a super long resume, with more than one asst. HC and an interim HC job. Bisacchia looks to be a very strong candidate for our HC:

​
    Except you never really know what the Chargers owners are looking for. They usually go with a list of HC candidates that come from many of the names the various talking heads throw out. It doesn't inspire confidence, especially after McCoy and Staley, get coaches who are extremely limited in their experiences as HC.

My guess is a coach who "can get the best out of Herbert" which usually means a guy who has been a QB coach and OC. But since Herbert is playing reasonably well, a DC or ST guy might be more useful, since there is so much room for improvement in so many areas. Just get the "best" coach, and don't worry about the rest.

In terms of being able to attract good candidates, we probably have a good chance. Supposedly, Quinn was able to take his pick of any of the jobs he interviewed for, yet turned them all down because of the QB situation. With Herbert, a new coach won't have to worry about a Frank Reich-type situation where he gets fired very quickly before he has much of a chance to make an impact on the team. Having a QB in place has to help our chances. But with the Spanos family, it is never clear that they won't screw it up anyway.

The other big question will be if TT goes with Staley.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    For those of u comparing Ficken with Bisacchia, compare the two resumes. Bisacchia has a super long resume, with more than one asst. HC and an interim HC job. Bisacchia looks to be a very strong candidate for our HC:

image.png​

Now, compare the two:

image.png​

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Bisaccia took a complete train wreck and turned it around.

The other ST guy to get some interest who has kinda fallen off the radar lately is Dave Toub, the KC Chiefs ST coordinator.

I like the idea of going with ST guys, since they won't try to force "their" scheme into the team, even if they aren't the play-caller. I can't help but think that Norv or Staley are both stubborn in that they want to make their scheme work as much as they are willing to adapt. And I don't like HC's who try to call plays.

An ST coach's responsibilities are more similar to what a HC does than what an OC or DC does. But everyone tries to go out and hire the hot OC or DC (who usually has a bunch of great players around him) and then you ask them to be the HC, and they aren't doing the same things they did as coordinator as they were asked to. yet a ST coordinator is dealing with O and D, and interacting with all the guys, and situational awareness and game management, which is kinda what a HC does.

I said a very similar thing a couple weeks ago so i agree. I actually wouldn't mind Basaccia. Imwas glad Mark Davis screwed it up and hired McDoody.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
    My list has changed somewhat...

Harbaugh - All new coordinators
    Quinn - Keep Moore and Ficken, hire a DC
    Bisaccia - All new coordinators

Black Sheep pick! Spagnoulo... Gives Spags a chance, he gives KC a good defense every season and knows Reid's offense.
    Former Redskins GM Charlie Casserly used to say the most important interview questions for him was who the new HC candidate thought he could land for his new staff.

As far as the actual coaches go -

Spags - I hear what you are saying and I agree with it (plus he did a great job for the Giants as DC), but he did not do a very good job for the Rams when he was a HC before. Just saying.

Harbaugh - I like the idea of him. He comes from a WC scheme tree, but he has had some years in college without a good QB, and he is NOT a scheme guy. He will try anything if his scheme is struggling and he usually finds a way. And he was a player he was on a lot of teams that had to win through game management and is pretty good at it most of the time. Plus, if he was trying to put a staff together, I think he could probably get some pretty good guys, even if he didn't know them well.

Quinn - the only Seattle assistant who has been able to tweek the Legion of Boom style of 34/43 and make it work well outside of Seattle. A lot of other people tried and could never get it to really be that good (Gus was the next closest). Quinn got the scheme to work in Atlanta and Dallas, so it was not just one place.

Bisaccia - I still like the idea of Rich and a ST background the best.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by jubei View Post

Jim is the Ravens coach, no? I think Velo is just trying to draw analogies of trajectories.
    Jim is the Wolverine's coach. John is the Raven's coach.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Bisaccia took a complete train wreck and turned it around.

The other ST guy to get some interest who has kinda fallen off the radar lately is Dave Toub, the KC Chiefs ST coordinator.

I like the idea of going with ST guys, since they won't try to force "their" scheme into the team, even if they aren't the play-caller. I can't help but think that Norv or Staley are both stubborn in that they want to make their scheme work as much as they are willing to adapt. And I don't like HC's who try to call plays.

An ST coach's responsibilities are more similar to what a HC does than what an OC or DC does. But everyone tries to go out and hire the hot OC or DC (who usually has a bunch of great players around him) and then you ask them to be the HC, and they aren't doing the same things they did as coordinator as they were asked to. yet a ST coordinator is dealing with O and D, and interacting with all the guys, and situational awareness and game management, which is kinda what a HC does.

Leave a comment:

• jubei
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

John, not Jim
    Jim is the Ravens coach, no? I think Velo is just trying to draw analogies of trajectories.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Jim Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator in college from 1988-97. He was the Eagle's special teams coordinator from 1998-2006. He was the DB coach for the Eagles for one season in 2007. In 2008, at age 44, he was hired as Baltimore's head coach.

Ryan Ficken has been in the NFL since 2007. He was an assistant RB and WR coach for Vikings. Then he was assistant ST coach for the Vikings from 2013-20. He was their ST coach in 2021. Minn hired Kevin O'Connell as HC in 2022 and he let all the coordinators go. The Chargers hired Ficken as ST coordinator last season. Chargers' ST have been historically, notoriously bad. Under Ficken, Chargers' ST are among the best in the league. Ficken turns 44 in February.
    John, not Jim

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Jim Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator in college from 1988-97. He was the Eagle's special teams coordinator from 1998-2006. He was the DB coach for the Eagles for one season in 2007. In 2008, at age 44, he was hired as Baltimore's head coach.

Ryan Ficken has been in the NFL since 2007. He was an assistant RB and WR coach for Vikings. Then he was assistant ST coach for the Vikings from 2013-20. He was their ST coach in 2021. Minn hired Kevin O'Connell as HC in 2022 and he let all the coordinators go. The Chargers hired Ficken as ST coordinator last season. Chargers' ST have been historically, notoriously bad. Under Ficken, Chargers' ST are among the best in the league. Ficken turns 44 in February.

Leave a comment:

• La Costa Boy
    replied
    I told my Raider buddy that they really F'd up in not keeping Bisaccia when that happened. I would love to see the guy come here and make something of this team. He turned the Raiders on a dime.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X