• Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Bosa threw his helmet on the football field in front of Staley,
    Staley picked it up and gave it to Bosa, and Bosa slammed it into the ground again to get the penalty.

Would Bosa do that in front of Belichick?

Team melted down in crunch time in every big game against a quality opponent this year.
    Joey gets talked about a lot as an elite player, but I've not seen it these last couple of years. He IS good, and I don't want him gone, but he's not the leader you would like to have on that side of the ball. Neither is James. Both are exceptional athletes, but neither has the hard as nails mentality needed. I wouldn't go so far as to call them soft, but IMO they're nowhere near 'hard' enough to really lead the defensive side. I would prefer that they NOT use his contract to develop more cap space next year - let his contract play out and send him onward after that. It's simply a fact of life in the NFL that your high dollar players - paid all of that money to be difference makers, actually do so.

Justin must be the leader on the offensive side of the ball (preferably of the entire team) - nothing else will work. I want to see him willing to burn someone down with a glare a la Brady when they fuck up. The whole team - top to bottom - is too mentally soft and fragile.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      That's going to be hard to find. But I definitely understand why this is your preference; it would be my preference too if there were good candidates. Too bad JAX hired Pederson; he would've been great for Herbert.
      Agree about Pedersen. There are winners out there and 1 who really wants to come

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Staley is calling the D plays is he not? Maybe bring in a new DC like Fangio as suggested and get Staley out of the way. Then let Staley try and focus on game and time management if he can.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Did Herbert sail that crucial TD pass to Keenan because we "don't have an identity" or because "there is a Chargering curse" or was it because our great young QB simply did not make an easy play that we really needed to happen ?

We made a commitment to a course of action. Now stick to it.

The best answer is not in an essay from a wordsmith, it is in the utter platitude that "the answer is simple, but not easy."

Frankly we are not good enough...yet.

And having supremely talented, and/or well coached teams hasn't gotten it done for us anyway.

Work hard. Become smarter. Get better. More consistently.
          Well, players work hard to get better.....so that part is independent of the coach.

As for the other part, what model of success is young Staley drawing from to 'get smarter' as a head coach.
          Coaching clinics? John Spanos? The old timer he keeps on the staff.

Learning from your mistakes, does not mean you will make proper corrections,
          it just means that you will attempt to make a correction.

A head coach is suppose to be the teacher of his assistants,
          not primarily a learner still needing training wheels.

He leads a youth brigade of assistants as far as I can see.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Shane Steichen HC
            Pep Hamilton OC
            Vick Fangio DC

I really want to move on from Staley. IMO, the only way they are going get rid of the stench of the melt-down in Jax is to clean house. Steichen/Hamilton are familiar with and had great success with Herbert. Fangio will get a defense ready-made for his philosophy and he'll be reunited with Mack. Overlooked in Daboll's success this season is the fact is that he was able to get a very good DC in Martindale. The GMen defense's resurgence has been key to getting the team to the playoffs, and Martindale gets a lot of credit for that. It would be very important to pair Steichen with a really good DC.

if they want to avoid an entire rebuild, i would keep Staley and get the best OC they can. I am a little unsure about DC, because Staley is so involved on that side, so who knows? maybe it depends if they can get Fangio - if they can get him they make the change. i would overpay for the best OC and DC available - that is still easier than making a whole regime change (we know Spanos is cheap).​

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
              Staley is calling the D plays is he not? Maybe bring in a new DC like Fangio as suggested and get Staley out of the way. Then let Staley try and focus on game and time management if he can.
              I think this us huge.
              He needs someone he trusts to run his D while he keeps an eye on the entire game.
              growing pains costing us dearly.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                Joey gets talked about a lot as an elite player, but I've not seen it these last couple of years. He IS good, and I don't want him gone, but he's not the leader you would like to have on that side of the ball. Neither is James. Both are exceptional athletes, but neither has the hard as nails mentality needed. I wouldn't go so far as to call them soft, but IMO they're nowhere near 'hard' enough to really lead the defensive side. I would prefer that they NOT use his contract to develop more cap space next year - let his contract play out and send him onward after that. It's simply a fact of life in the NFL that your high dollar players - paid all of that money to be difference makers, actually do so.
                I don't know. The defense was at its best when Bosa and James were not playing. I've always felt James was overrated. So much hype about his elite ability, but I don't see it all the time. I see it some of the time. But not often enough to warrant the reputation he supposedly has. He's not a game changer and he doesn't single handedly make the defense better just by his presence. Bosa - I'd like to see a full season of him paired with Mack before coming to any conclusions. He was elite as part of a duo with Melvin Ingraham. He's only 27.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Justin must be the leader on the offensive side of the ball (preferably of the entire team) - nothing else will work. I want to see him willing to burn someone down with a glare a la Brady when they fuck up. The whole team - top to bottom - is too mentally soft and fragile.
                  Joey isn’t all he’s cracked up to be and is an emotional child. We all saw it. On top of it he’s an injury risk. Get rid of him.

Derwin is also overrated. He’s no Reed or Palomalu but gets that level of hype.

we paid too much for too little with each of these guys. I am beginning g to adopt the Belichick view.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Well, players work hard to get better.....so that part is independent of the coach.

As for the other part, what model of success is young Staley drawing from to 'get smarter' as a head coach.
                    Coaching clinics? John Spanos? The old timer he keeps on the staff.

Learning from your mistakes, does not mean you will make proper corrections,
                    it just means that you will attempt to make a correction.

A head coach is suppose to be the teacher of his assistants,
                    not primarily a learner still needing training wheels.

He leads a youth brigade of assistants as far as I can see.
                    I have said it before.

The NFL is the big show. It is not the training ground for coaches to learn when they were given a head coaching job before they were ready.

Spanos need to realize the Chargers are not a toy, they are a multi billion dollar business. You dont put the team in the hands of an inexperienced leader. They can put an end to this experiemnt right now despite the cost f they are serious about their business and making an impact in the LA market, while growing the worth of the team.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post
                      if they want to avoid an entire rebuild, i would keep Staley and get the best OC they can.
                      I don't see how replacing the HC is a rebuild. The players would remain the same and this team is built to win now. IMO, in order to completely get past what happened in JAX is to clean house and bring in a totally new/different coaching staff. I'd keep the special teams coordinator though.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                        *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Joey isn’t all he’s cracked up to be and is an emotional child. We all saw it. On top of it he’s an injury risk. Get rid of him.

Derwin is also overrated. He’s no Reed or Palomalu but gets that level of hype.

we paid too much for too little with each of these guys. I am beginning g to adopt the Belichick view.
                        If they would be gone they will have HOF worthy 2nd part of their careers somwhere else - male screenshots and call me on it in 8 years.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Harbaugh reportedly is committed to staying at Michigan.

Jim Harbaugh's flirtation with the NFL in 2022 ended with him returning to the University of Michigan and the same thing has happened in 2023.

Jim Harbaugh’s flirtation with the NFL in 2022 ended with him returning to the University of Michigan and the same thing has happened in 2023.

Harbaugh interviewed with the Broncos last week, but University of Michigan president Santa Ono said in a tweet on Monday afternoon that he had just spoken to Harbaugh and that Harbaugh said he will be remaining with the Wolverines.

“I just got off the phone with Coach Harbaugh and Jim shared with me the great news that he is going to remain as the Head Coach of the Michigan Wolverines,” Ono said. “That is fantastic news that I have communicated to our Athletic Director Warde Manuel.”

Harbaugh released a statement of his own a short time later.

“I love the relationships that I have at Michigan — coaches, staff, families, administration, President Santa Ono and especially the player and their families,” Harbaugh said. “My heart is at the University of Michigan. I once heard a wise man say, “Don’t try to out-happy happy.” Go Blue!”

Ono said late last week that the school had “positive and constructive conversations” with Harbaugh about remaining in Ann Arbor. Those conversations presumably included discussion of adjustments to Harbaugh’s contract and it will be interesting to see if there is now a buyout in place that makes it less likely that Harbaugh will explore a move back to the NFL in 2024.

Comment

Working...
                          X