• Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

They wouldn't - I was just curious . . . . . :biggrin:
    Me also. Bills 2021 D -#1 (17.0 ppg), 2022 #2 (17.9 ppg)

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Me also. Bills 2021 D -#1 (17.0 ppg), 2022 #2 (17.9 ppg)
      Thanks. From afar it seemed like their D dropped off more than that . . . . . .Surprising

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Stats can be enlightening or deceiving.

StaleyD is thinking of culture as much as specific positions.

Who will be our leaders next year,
        as we develop young players ?

It might be a brand new slew of economically priced vets on one year contracts.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Wu - you talk 'culture' almost as much as Staley. Don't drink the koolaid my friend.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Wu - you talk 'culture' almost as much as Staley. Don't drink the koolaid my friend.
            Culture is everything.

It is exactly what StaleyD is up to.

Regarding stats, that cannot be the only thing to hang our hats on.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Bash & DJ. You can't shut them up. No one argues with Mack, He & mike Davis set a great example. KVN would be a smart re-hire.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

They wouldn't - I was just curious . . . . . :biggrin:
                Got it - thought I missed something!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Culture is everything.

Ehh . . . . when exactly is this culture going to kick in? Cause despite Staley's claims of 'how strong the culture is' and how much he loves the culture they're building, it didn't prevent the Jville collapse. Isn't that the kind of thing a team with a strong culture is supposed to be able to overcome? You know - be mentally tough, be at your best when the chips are down, etc?

This whole 'culture' thing (at least from Staley) has the feel of misdirection and/or deflection to me. 'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . . . . '

I could care less if the whole team hates each other - as long as they win, and I could care less how much they love each other - when they're losing.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Ehh . . . . when exactly is this culture going to kick in? Cause despite Staley's claims of 'how strong the culture is' and how much he loves the culture they're building, it didn't prevent the Jville collapse. Isn't that the kind of thing a team with a strong culture is supposed to be able to overcome? You know - be mentally tough, be at your best when the chips are down, etc?

This whole 'culture' thing (at least from Staley) has the feel of misdirection and/or deflection to me. 'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . . . . '

I could care less if the whole team hates each other - as long as they win, and I could care less how much they love each other - when they're losing.
                    There were very specific plays at Jacksonville.
                    -Vato's injury.
                    -Herbert overthrew KA @ End Zone.
                    -Ja'Sir's DPI.
                    -Staley's clock management just before Halftime.

No Charger players are pointing fingers.
                    Staley has emphasized building personal relationships from thw beginning.
                    Even Telesco haa always drafted with huge consideration as to character.

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

There were very specific plays at Jacksonville.
                      -Vato's injury.
                      -Herbert overthrew KA @ End Zone.
                      -Ja'Sir's DPI.
                      -Staley's clock management just before Halftime.

No Charger players are pointing fingers.
                      Staley has emphasized building personal relationships from thw beginning.
                      Even Telesco haa always drafted with huge consideration as to character.
                      Wu I believe you are missing the biggest injury and the main reason for the loss which was Slayer being out and turnstile Sarell playing the majority of the second half. Throw in our brilliant former OC trying numerous runs behind a player who was a practice squad scrub eight weeks prior and you have a recipe for disaster which we all saw unfold.

I agree that Staley is building something here. Rome wasn't built in a day. The Chargers unfortunately are stuck with the Chiefs so it will be an interesting couple of years going forward.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not sure what the defensive stats have to do with the idea that Allen regressed because Daboll left. The stats show he improved slightly this year.
                        I’d call the stats equivalent, not improved. I’d suggest the various stats are within the margin of minor variation. Run another 17 samples and you’ll see slight ups and downs here or there. The basics macro measures are not different to a significant degree and are more likely just the outcome of varying conditions presented to Allen during the course of games vs his play: %completions, TDs, INTs, yards.

the hypothesis “Allen regressed when Daboll left” is hereby scientifically rejected with laser guided precision. Kudos.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Culture is everything.

QFT. I remember the year Rivera was wildly lauded for fielding such a great defense, based on aggregate total yard stats. He got his HC gig based on that lore.

The defense was not bad, it was relatively good. But it wasn’t really a Top 5 defense in terms of ability. Yards allowed (e.g the primary “stat”) was notably reduced by the history-achieving horror of the STs and/or turnovers giving a heretofore unseen amount of short fields, and situations where teams were ahead and closed games without driving for final scores. All those missing yards led to a “stat” that didn’t reflect exact reality. Those that watched all games saw the defense was not what the press clippings said.

always take minor stat difference with grains of salt - every game is different and real plays in real games dictate.

Culture is awesome - it overcome “stats”. I’ve heard more talk from Staley than I’ve seen on the field so far. This shall be the year of full conversion, i await with excited anticipation! We were 10-7 last year, not what we wanted but better result. Next year needs another improvement on that to secure his longevity.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X