• Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Rugger05.
    dmac_bolt.

We are in agreement, more than it seems. Add @Lefty2SLO.

I choose to focus on the building side of things. If StaleyD talkie talk is all BS...well, players are the ultimate BS detectors.

Let's take Detroit Lions. They are clearly trending up. Sure coaching style, and QB situation are quite different.

Like Staley, Dan Campbell is culture building there. Even within the '22 season, there were serious ups and downs and ups in the Motor City.

As it pertains to culture, leadership and direction, the personnel decisions LAC are making at this moment, in tandem with players and their agents, will be very interesting.

Talk about a fork in the road...
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

I think Staley did a remarkable job of keeping the team in the hunt last year. Many coaches lose the team when they suffer the kind of injuries we had. This team played hard in every game. They weren't always great but they were always giving it their best. Staley is still learning and improving. If they hold on to him and keep him stocked with good players, he will lead them to the playoffs more seasons than not. Be patient.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Rugger05.
        dmac_bolt.

I choose to focus on the building side of things. If StaleyD talkie talk is all BS...well, players are the ultimate BS detectors.

Let's take Detroit Lions. They are clearly trending up. Sure coaching style, and QB situation are quite different.

Like Staley, Dan Campbell is culture building there. Even within the '22 season, there were serious ups and downs and ups in the Motor City.

As it pertains to culture, leadership and direction, the personnel decisions LAC are making at this moment, in tandem with players and their agents, will be very interesting.

I thought it seemed we were in significant if not uniform agreement, personally. I guess I agree with you more than you agree with me. Meh - You’ll come around
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

Wu I believe you are missing the biggest injury and the main reason for the loss which was Slayer being out and turnstile Sarell playing the majority of the second half. Throw in our brilliant former OC trying numerous runs behind a player who was a practice squad scrub eight weeks prior and you have a recipe for disaster which we all saw unfold.

I agree that Staley is building something here. Rome wasn't built in a day. The Chargers unfortunately are stuck with the Chiefs so it will be an interesting couple of years going forward.
          The point I was making is that culture doesn't mean anything if it doesn't help you win - it's just a buzzword. There were many plays in the Jville game that contributed to the end result, as did injuries (old and new). A tough minded team, with a winning culture and a winning mindset, would find a way to overcome these setbacks. Instead we folded. This is why I think it's disingenuous of Staley to point to how good the team's 'culture' is, while Rome is burning in the background . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

The point I was making is that culture doesn't mean anything if it doesn't help you win - it's just a buzzword. There were many plays in the Jville game that contributed to the end result, as did injuries (old and new). A tough minded team, with a winning culture and a winning mindset, would find a way to overcome these setbacks. Instead we folded. This is why I think it's disingenuous of Staley to point to how good the team's 'culture' is, while Rome is burning in the background . . . . .
            A mostly peaceful village?
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Agree.

You beat one winning team last year (and that team was on a 7 game slide);
              you give up a 27 point lead in the playoffs against a green team, with your team mostly intact and with key vets;
              you fail to make the playoffs the year before (a team that had no business missing the playoffs) on the most lackluster of performances
              against a drama ridden Raiders squad:

the winning culture bit is keeping itself very quiet and unobtrusive.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Agree.

You beat one winning team last year (and that team was on a 7 game slide);
                you give up a 27 point lead in the playoffs against a green team, with your team mostly intact and with key vets;
                you fail to make the playoffs the year before (a team that had no business missing the playoffs) on the most lackluster of performances
                against a drama ridden Raiders squad:

the winning culture bit is keeping itself very quiet and unobtrusive.
                Are you serious ?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Rugger05.
                  dmac_bolt.

Fork in the road - very good analogy as to what this team has in front of it . . . . . let's hope they go in the right direction. I'm still a fan, but a more realistic fan these days.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Rugger05.
                    dmac_bolt.

I admire your optimism Wu and dmac. I'm working on staying positive . . . . . but I'm definitely a work in progress.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I admire your optimism Wu and dmac. I'm working on staying positive . . . . . but I'm definitely a work in progress.
                      It is fine that we have pollyannas, realists, brutally honest folks. Staley has to grow.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

It is fine that we have pollyannas, realists, brutally honest folks. Staley has to grow.
                        Signing a top young vet OC was a nice step. They can help each other with personnel groups and game planning vs specific opponents. How do we attack / defend this?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Signing a top young vet OC was a nice step. They can help each other with personnel groups and game planning vs specific opponents. How do we attack / defend this?
                          Agreed - Moore will (hopefully) ignite the offense. Now let's see how we manage FA, the cap, and the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X