• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    This guy wanders far afield from the subject matter at times, but he drives home the point: Why pay Justin Herbert all that money then go cheap on the head coach?

I highly recommend anyone who has about 10 minutes to watch the first segment. Nothing new to any of us around here, but I found it somewhat refreshing to hear it from what appears to be an outside observer.

I also like how he starkly contrasts it to the Dolphins owner, "He is clearly willing to take swings and double down and spend money on the important things."

Fucking depressing.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Sean Payton bought a house in Manhattan Beach which ridiculously close to the El Segundo facility. I mean, run-home-for-lunch close.
      Andy Reid had a home in Del Mar and Mort Report said that Reid wanted the job that McCoy got
      Chargers never even called him

Reid has been kicking the Spannii a** for 10 years now - soon to be 11

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I highly recommend anyone who has about 10 minutes to watch the first segment. Nothing new to any of us around here, but I found it somewhat refreshing to hear it from what appears to be an outside observer.

I also like how he starkly contrasts it to the Dolphins owner, "He is clearly willing to take swings and double down and spend money on the important things."

Fucking depressing.
        We all bring up Staley

We bring up Telesco

I think we all know the real reason for the failures of the team, why they "Charger", lose games like they did on Sunday - it starts, begins, the middle is The Spanii

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Screenshot 2023-09-13 6.54.28 AM.png

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Andy Reid had a home in Del Mar and Mort Report said that Reid wanted the job that McCoy got
            Chargers never even called him

Reid has been kicking the Spannii a** for 10 years now - soon to be 11
            Yup, Reid was there for the taking after Norv was let go.

You couldn't write a story about two divergent franchises if you tried. Wish there was a way for the league to intervene when there is clear owner malfeasance. The NFL has got to realize it's not good for the fans, and it's not good for the brand to have perpetual "have not" franchises year in and year out. They're all for parity when it comes to the draft and salary cap, why not owner meddling?

I'm only partially serious as I know there's no way it would ever happen, but some franchises are just stuck in a forever doom loop because of utterly shitty ownership and there's ZERO light at the end of the tunnel.

The Chargers' stupid marketing team needs to stop with the slick video productions and talking about "world championships" and such. Like the term "championship" itself it so utterly foreign to us that it's both insulting and laughable at the same time. I think it's high time that we as fans simply dial back the expectations on our fandom about a million notches.

Stop thinking/expecting/hoping for a Super Bowl. Ever. Our ceiling is a random playoff appearance here and there, maybe a wild card win here and there, and a couple of fun, exciting wins a year and maybe an upset here or there. That's all it has ever been. When you adjust your perspective this way, it becomes way more palatable.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

You couldn't write a story about two divergent franchises if you tried. Wish there was a way for the league to intervene when there is clear owner malfeasance. The NFL has got to realize it's not good for the fans, and it's not good for the brand to have perpetual "have not" franchises year in and year out. They're all for parity when it comes to the draft and salary cap, why not owner meddling?

I'm only partially serious as I know there's no way it would ever happen, but some franchises are just stuck in a forever doom loop because of utterly shitty ownership and there's ZERO light at the end of the tunnel.

The Chargers' stupid marketing team needs to stop with the slick video productions and talking about "world championships" and such. Like the term "championship" itself it so utterly foreign to us that it's both insulting and laughable at the same time. I think it's high time that we as fans simply dial back the expectations on our fandom about a million notches.

Stop thinking/expecting/hoping for a Super Bowl. Ever. Our ceiling is a random playoff appearance here and there, maybe a wild card win here and there, and a couple of fun, exciting wins a year and maybe an upset here or there. That's all it has ever been. When you adjust your perspective this way, it becomes way more palatable.
              I can't adjust my perspective. I see what other franchises do that works and the Chargers are at best mediocre and the Spanii are fine with that. I think they should want to win. Like I said, I am a Suns fan and not sure I agree with Ishbia trading for Durant - but at least he didn't stop and he traded for Beal because if you are pushing chips into the table - go all in. Like the Chargers - they had more cap space and they stopped spending. I don't mean spending a lot - but just a bit more to make sure your depth is as good as possible and not UDFA types

Sean Payton wanted the job - they didn't even talk to him

The best GM and Coach was the Marty and Butler (or AJ) combo. Marty had a track record of winning regular season games. I get the playoff record. But Marty was a professional teacher of football. I have no clue what Lynn, McCoy and Staley are - but they aren't that. Marty didn't need to wear a headset - he coached htem in practice and they got better. I get the Jets loss with kaeding and the Patriots loss but firing Marty was stupid.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I can't adjust my perspective. I see what other franchises do that works and the Chargers are at best mediocre and the Spanii are fine with that. I think they should want to win. Like I said, I am a Suns fan and not sure I agree with Ishbia trading for Durant - but at least he didn't stop and he traded for Beal because if you are pushing chips into the table - go all in. Like the Chargers - they had more cap space and they stopped spending. I don't mean spending a lot - but just a bit more to make sure your depth is as good as possible and not UDFA types

Sean Payton wanted the job - they didn't even talk to him

The best GM and Coach was the Marty and Butler (or AJ) combo. Marty had a track record of winning regular season games. I get the playoff record. But Marty was a professional teacher of football. I have no clue what Lynn, McCoy and Staley are - but they aren't that. Marty didn't need to wear a headset - he coached htem in practice and they got better. I get the Jets loss with kaeding and the Patriots loss but firing Marty was stupid.
                The Spani have always been slow to realize they hired the wrong HC...happened with MM, Lynn and now Staley...slow and cheap...ugh...

Comment

• AFboltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Balboa Park bench
                  • Medical Simulation
                  • Send PM

That's gotta be the most defeated post I've ever read, you're not wrong though... But, its been 1 game. We keep playing.

Comment

• Chargers vs. Chargering
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

Lowered Expectations

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

TBH, I expect Staley to bounce back after a buffoonish performance.

He will dial up better blitzes, more effective coverages, and sustained run defense.

It has happened before.
                      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        TBH, I expect Staley to bounce back after a buffoonish performance.

He will dial up better blitzes, more effective coverages, and sustained run defense.

It has happened before.
                        The data shows - over his two years as DC he is bottom third of the league in yards allowed, 3rd down % and points per game. That doesn't even include Sunday against the Dolphins when most yards and most points allowed by the defense

So it truly has not really happened on a consistent basis before.

He needs to quit talking and start doing

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

The data shows - over his two years as DC he is bottom third of the league in yards allowed, 3rd down % and points per game. That doesn't even include Sunday against the Dolphins when most yards and most points allowed by the defense

So it truly has not really happened on a consistent basis before.

He needs to quit talking and start doing
                          Stats are stats.

Our defense definitely went through different phases in 2022.

Improved play and wins will come from
                          Justin Herbert and scoring offense.

And a defense that climbs up to adequate. My key there remains Mack + Bosa.
                          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X