• Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Why would you be? He’s Kliff Kingsbury 2.0
    That's pushing it. Kingsbury was nowhere close to 71-13 in college. You would have been better off saying Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

That's pushing it. Kingsbury was nowhere close to 71-13 in college. You would have been better off saying Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly.
      Riley has had some really good QBs at two high profile schools as well.

I don't want Riley either.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Ok. Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly. Feel like you made a better choice now?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Riley has had some really good QBs at two high profile schools as well.

I don't want Riley either.
          My big thing with hiring from the college ranks is are the coaches good recruiters first or good coaches first. And who knows how much money boosters are paying to get the players

Now Bobby Ross coached at places like VMI, Maryland and Ga Tech - not exactly hotbeds of talent. So he had to be a good coach as well. Some of thse college coaches just have so much damn talent, who knows what they do when its time to actually COACH

Now a guy like Harbaugh, has proven at USD, Stanford, Niners and now Michigan - that I think he can coach pretty damn well

And if Staley loses today - against a backup QB, even if the Bolts are a bit banged up - should be on notice.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Harbaugh talk is for 2024, I assume? He’s not going anywhere this year. I doubt he’s going anywhere in 2024 either but who knows. Stranger things have happened, maybe he’d want to go back to a diff CAL team to screw with the 49ers, idunno. LAR would be a much bigger more direct vengeance play if that motivated him
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ok. Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly. Feel like you made a better choice now?
              Absolutely.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                Harbaugh talk is for 2024, I assume? He’s not going anywhere this year. I doubt he’s going anywhere in 2024 either but who knows. Stranger things have happened, maybe he’d want to go back to a diff CAL team to screw with the 49ers, idunno. LAR would be a much bigger more direct vengeance play if that motivated him
                Yes. You don't have an opportunity to hire a coach like Harbaugh in the middle of the season. Any coach hired outside of the organization needs an offseason to install his program.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Yes. You don't have an opportunity to hire a coach like Harbaugh in the middle of the season. Any coach hired outside of the organization needs an offseason to install his program.
                  Granted, Quin Snyder was hired towards the end of last year by the Atlanta Hawks -- not sure what schemes he ran differently than Nate McMillan. But thats very unique as the Hawks obviously wanted their coach before the other jobs opened up

That said, for football - harbugh is not leaving Michigan mid year and the Spanii would probably never fire Staley early. Granted, if the Chagers lose to the Raiders, Cowboys, Chiefs, and those games on SNF and MNF against hte Bears and Jets to be 1-7 - he will be toast!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My big thing with hiring from the college ranks is are the coaches good recruiters first or good coaches first. And who knows how much money boosters are paying to get the players

Now Bobby Ross coached at places like VMI, Maryland and Ga Tech - not exactly hotbeds of talent. So he had to be a good coach as well. Some of thse college coaches just have so much damn talent, who knows what they do when its time to actually COACH

Now a guy like Harbaugh, has proven at USD, Stanford, Niners and now Michigan - that I think he can coach pretty damn well

And if Staley loses today - against a backup QB, even if the Bolts are a bit banged up - should be on notice.
                    I would agree.

Riley has had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, and Caleb Williams all at Oklahoma and when he went to USC, he took Williams with him. 3 of those 4 are #1 picks and Mayfield & Murray arent all that in the NFL but in college they was great which is a big deal in college.

Recruiting is key in college and Oklahoma & USC are a prime spot for recruits. Its also why some college coaches dont always work out in the NFL as HCs.

Kingbury only had Mahomes at Texas Tech but the rest of the team wasnt good and only went to one bowl game with Mahomes.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Is Brandon Staley the head coach to get the Chargers & Justin Herbert over the hump??? I'm not so sure... beat the Cowboys & Chiefs and perhaps he is???

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I would agree.

Riley has had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, and Caleb Williams all at Oklahoma and when he went to USC, he took Williams with him. 3 of those 4 are #1 picks and Mayfield & Murray arent all that in the NFL but in college they was great which is a big deal in college.

Recruiting is key in college and Oklahoma & USC are a prime spot for recruits. Its also why some college coaches dont always work out in the NFL as HCs.

Kingbury only had Mahomes at Texas Tech but the rest of the team wasnt good and only went to one bowl game with Mahomes.
                        I used to think Kirk Ferentz at Iowa might be a solid NFL coach since he coached at Cleveland when Hoodie was there. But he is a bit older now

Mark D'Antoni from Michigan State a few years ago - I thought another guy that has to recruit well but coach well too to compete with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State

I just don't know of anybody in college I would trust - they all seem to need talent, and I get thats redundant but does the talent mask the deficiencies they have as a coach

And like you sai about Riley - he has had good QB after good QB

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                          Is Brandon Staley the head coach to get the Chargers & Justin Herbert over the hump??? I'm not so sure... beat the Cowboys & Chiefs and perhaps he is???
                          I think Staley has this year to prove he is the guy. We are a luke-warm 2-2 so far. If we miss the playoffs or squeak in and get blown out, I think he is gone. If he wins a playoff game, he will be extended and head here will explode.

Comment

Working...
                          X