• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

He's more worried about beating the Titans than losing his job. If the Chargers dump him he'll work for another team. Too many friends in the coaching biz. Too good a W - L record.
    Hope this doesn't happen, but...IF Staley epic fails in several games this season dialing up an ineffective D with multiple failures to adjust and multiple losses, I would say potential employing teams might say, "Staley was a winner with the Rams ONE season, because he had Aaron Donald and a cast of stars and he rode their coattails"...they might also say, "even with Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Vato, etc., Staley was exposed as a weak D coach"...I'm guessing he might end up as an outside linebackers coach in the NFL or in the college ranks at one of his previous stops, like James Madison or John Carroll...HOPE he's able to turn it around, because we now have an O that is clicking on ground AND the air...but Staley's Sieve D is wearing our patience thin...

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Oh boy! He beat the Chiefs in his 3rd game when the team was riding high on his fake motivational speeches... We also LOST to the Jags last year in horrible embarrassing fashion. One game is not a proper defense... Neither is the Chargers defense under Staley.
      What is your glitch? I pointed out he was the only coach to go 4-1 his first year and beat the Chiefs in his third game, the only defeat of Patrick Mahomes by a Charger squad.

And I get more buffoonery for you. Spit it out. Something is on your mind, so say it.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
        I noticed that too! He seemed more tense and upset than I can ever remember seeing him.
        Did you see Ryan Tannehill's presser? He announced he was done talking about the Saints.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38393291/titans-ryan-tannehill-frustrated-just-want-move-on

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I go back to a guy like Daboll over and over but his resume is not all success. He was OC in Miami and Cleveland and didn't have great success

Look at Aaron Glenn - how he started in Detroit as DC to now. Sure part of it is talent, but part of it is coaching his team up

So just having success - that was the problem with McCoy and Staley. They were one hit wonders because one coached Peyton Manning and the other had a defense with Donald and Ramsey
          I think along with a positive track record - experience does need to be a part of the process.

So yes I eventually want to see positive results from the OC or DC - but I also want to see if they have had a rough patch in their coaching process and how they respond and adapt

Hence, if Staley is shown the door - I wouldn't have an issue calling Dan Quinn or a Leslie Frazier. Even Jason Garrett. Bieniemy - lets see what he does over the course of the year in DC. They may not have the "number" like his Chiefs team but do they improve over the year.
          What is your take on Moore? I was looking for terms on his deal or salary and I could find none. I was going to use that in my argument to say that 'if Staley is let go, Moore would still be under contract', so I do not know that to be a fact but instead my speculation. Moore still has 16 more games to blow Dean + John's socks off and I believe he will. And at 30 points a game.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

What is your glitch? I pointed out he was the only coach to go 4-1 his first year and beat the Chiefs in his third game, the only defeat of Patrick Mahomes by a Charger squad.

And I get more buffoonery for you. Spit it out. Something is on your mind, so say it.
            And that is supposed to mean something today? I've already said it... Defeating Patrick Mahomes means jack squat unless we win the division or it is in an AFCCG.

Comment

• AFboltfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2018
              • Balboa Park bench
              • Medical Simulation
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Me too...I liked it. I am a Staley supporter, but its time to find another gear in his coaching...maybe needs a little more grim in his game, and ramp up the accountability on the vets...less carrot and more stick...
              That would be nice... This was the one thing I like about Lynn, who also just so happens to have won a playoff game.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

He's more worried about beating the Titans than losing his job. If the Chargers dump him he'll work for another team. Too many friends in the coaching biz. Too good a W - L record.
                Not as a head coach! His future as a DC might even take a hit. Position coach for sure will be open.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hope this doesn't happen, but...IF Staley epic fails in several games this season dialing up an ineffective D with multiple failures to adjust and multiple losses, I would say potential employing teams might say, "Staley was a winner with the Rams ONE season, because he had Aaron Donald and a cast of stars and he rode their coattails"...they might also say, "even with Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Vato, etc., Staley was exposed as a weak D coach"...I'm guessing he might end up as an outside linebackers coach in the NFL or in the college ranks at one of his previous stops, like James Madison or John Carroll...HOPE he's able to turn it around, because we now have an O that is clicking on ground AND the air...but Staley's Sieve D is wearing our patience thin...
                  It was ugly D vs Mia last Sun. That was one lousy D outing. Last year Staley's D was #28 vs run, #7 vs pass, #21 vs scoring.
                  Most importantly we need the D to be @ NFL average ( #16) or better across the board. Being notably bad at run D made us vulnerable in 2022.
                  That was not the problem vs Mia. On to Tennessee. It'll be different.
                  I think our pass D shows up. Moderately hopeful @ run D, scoring D. If Herbert dominates via air, it's a W.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I go back to a guy like Daboll over and over but his resume is not all success. He was OC in Miami and Cleveland and didn't have great success

Look at Aaron Glenn - how he started in Detroit as DC to now. Sure part of it is talent, but part of it is coaching his team up

​So just having success - that was the problem with McCoy and Staley. They were one hit wonders because one coached Peyton Manning and the other had a defense with Donald and Ramsey
                    I think along with a positive track record - experience does need to be a part of the process.

So yes I eventually want to see positive results from the OC or DC - but I also want to see if they have had a rough patch in their coaching process and how they respond and adapt

Hence, if Staley is shown the door - I wouldn't have an issue calling Dan Quinn or a Leslie Frazier. Even Jason Garrett. Bieniemy - lets see what he does over the course of the year in DC. They may not have the "number" like his Chiefs team but do they improve over the year.
                    McCoy won with Teebow and was with Fox for awhile.

McCoy's Charger offenses the first two years were very good.
                    In the week #2 win over defending champion Seattle, the Charger O ran roughshod over the legion of boom.

At the time, some said that the McCoy/Reich offense was cutting edge offensive football.

Staley hasn't produced as much as a warm fart with his defenses here.

Let's hope something suddenly clicks.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Lynn also interviewed well...the Spani and TT were impressed by his "take charge" attitude...too bad he just isn't HC material...show me a successful track record over multiple years as an OC or DC in the NFL, or as HC, OC, or DC in college, and THAT should carry more weight for me than an interview...
                      Fixed it for ya . . . . . .

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                        Chargers Hall of Fame
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        Staley hasn't produced as much as a warm fart with his defenses here.
                        Last year's Miami game may have been his one warm fart.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                          I noticed that too! He seemed more tense and upset than I can ever remember seeing him.
                          Why are you guys even watching this stuff? Do you LIKE pain?

Comment

Working...
                          X