• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

BREAKING NEWS AT 11! Coach speaks coach-speak at a news conference.

Anyone ever watch a Belichick news conference? Just wondering. Want to see him break out his Madden White Board? Coaches always talk in pablum and cliche.

this year was better than last, just not nearly as good as we expected. He’s got another year, I’ll rally and pull for him.

I've seen Bill's pressers. Belichick would have simply said 'we got outcoached' and "I've got to coach better' over and over. What he would NOT have done is make nonsensical and outright stupid comments like;

1. 'I have a lot of confidence in the way we’ve done things for two years' (you're probably the only one then)

2. 'I just thought it was a high-level game all of way around. … I know that we were coaching at a high level' (complete and utter bullshit. After that game I can't believe anyone could have the balls to make such an outrageous statement. When did he 'know' this? at what point in the epic collapse last weekend did the thought run thru his head - hey, we're really coaching at a high level?)

3. 'It was tough to lose Mike in that game [but] … I think, doing it over again, I’m proud of our process' (what does this even mean? Is he proud that we lost our best playmaker in a meaningless game? That process?)

There are other response equally as bad, but you get the picture. Dude's got a real problem admitting failures and is possibly MORE stubborn than Anthony Lynn (which is saying something). Sigh. I thought / hoped that going through this grilling would force at least a small amount of humility into him, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Now we know why Lombardi was allowed to drive this offence into the ground. Staley would not admit that he was the wrong choice, with the wrong system - because that would have meant that he (Brandon Staley) had made a mistake in 1) the hire in the first place, and 2) in allowing Lombardi to continue.

This is just an example of what you get with individuals who think they can do no wrong.

Comment

• TTThunder
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Reportedly his fourth choice
      If he wants attacking offense, Lombo should not even be on the candidate list!!

(Not a football expert here, but they said that his offense is read and react, meaning that we take what the defense gives us....

If you take what someone is giving you, how that can be considered "attacking" offense?!?)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Interesting comment by Peyton Manning about halftime adjustments.
        https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnkbq...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
        lol - It’s not like the coaches are gathering all the players to install a new system or ask them what adjustments they see. They don’t write a new playbook. Coaches are deciding what to tweak or modify, more of this less of that, and they go back out and call in plays from the existing playbook with some different formations, patterns, timing, tempo, etc - whatever. players just go execute the plays called into the QBs helmet, they don’t make the sausage too.

the question is why coaches often seem to wait for halftime at all. I understand not adjusting in the middle of a series, they are busy calling the next plays etc. But when the defense is on the field, why arent offensive staff quickly breaking down whats not working, how are they defending, how can it be more effectively attacked, etc., and adjusting before they get the ball back next series. Maybe they are doing that some.

real time instant genius shit, thats what we need.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Tomdutchy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I've seen Bill's pressers. Belichick would have simply said 'we got outcoached' and "I've got to coach better' over and over. What he would NOT have done is make nonsensical and outright stupid comments like;

1. 'I have a lot of confidence in the way we’ve done things for two years' (you're probably the only one then)

2. 'I just thought it was a high-level game all of way around. … I know that we were coaching at a high level' (complete and utter bullshit. After that game I can't believe anyone could have the balls to make such an outrageous statement. When did he 'know' this? at what point in the epic collapse last weekend did the thought run thru his head - hey, we're really coaching at a high level?)

3. 'It was tough to lose Mike in that game [but] … I think, doing it over again, I’m proud of our process' (what does this even mean? Is he proud that we lost our best playmaker in a meaningless game? That process?)

There are other response equally as bad, but you get the picture. Dude's got a real problem admitting failures and is possibly MORE stubborn than Anthony Lynn (which is saying something). Sigh. I thought / hoped that going through this grilling would force at least a small amount of humility into him, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Now we know why Lombardi was allowed to drive this offence into the ground. Staley would not admit that he was the wrong choice, with the wrong system - because that would have meant that he (Brandon Staley) had made a mistake in 1) the hire in the first place, and 2) in allowing Lombardi to continue.

This is just an example of what you get with individuals who think they can do no wrong.
          I mentioned it before but stalebread's press conferences are like a Seinfeld episode, he says nothing and talks in circles. Plus, his after game press conference where he is listing all the mistake plays and I feel throwing players under the bus is BS. He never takes ownership of the mistakes as a coach. I think that will be his ultimate down fall because he cant see his mistakes and his stubbornness will just keep him making the same mistakes instead of learning from them.

Not a good trait for a leader.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Crap - I should have just posted this article. It's all there.

Can you imagine Mike Tomlin answering questions in the manner Staley did? He'd cut his arm off before making statements like that. I suspect that, even with Herbert, Staley may find it more difficult than expected to get a seasoned, qualified OC to come here.
            Agree, there are lots of OCs available, but how willing are they to hook their caboose to a possible stalebread train wreck? Trying to get a new OC could be like getting Eli Manning to agree to go to the Chargers. His dad knew a thing or two about the Chargering organization and add stalebread and you got a fentenyl injecting drunk (stalebread and Spanos) with a flame thrower inside an explosives bunker.

I think a lot of OCs will see that and say Fuck off. Thats our real problem.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
              Since Balboa Stadium
              • Sep 2022
              • LA
              • Send PM

From Staleys press conference:
              "But it really starts with leadership and bringing out the style of play that we want to have as a football team," Staley added. "It's about our football team all three phases playing a certain style. That's what we're after in terms of leading this group and connecting it."

jezzus...he loves to talk about leadership and likes the word "connecting" a lot. All this seemingly sophisticated philosophy...based on no experience at all. Where did he learn this...John Carroll University or James Madison....that is what bugs me about the guy....I would respect him more if he just said..."ya know...I am new...I am learning all the time...'

So annoying. Don't know why I watched some of it. Really loath the guy. I will avoid any of these type things in the future. Not good for blood pressure.

His leadership lost a 27 point lead.

CockerSpaniel.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Yeah gotta let that football playin Jessie express himself lol.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

It’s just coach speak, it means nothing, you guys are reading way too much into press conference pablum. I think the correlation coefficient between press conference sound bites and the probability of future coaching success is pretty low.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

It’s just coach speak, it means nothing, you guys are reading way too much into press conference pablum. I think the correlation coefficient between press conference sound bites and the probability of future coaching success is pretty low.
                    Reading too much into things is a big thing here.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

lol - It’s not like the coaches are gathering all the players to install a new system or ask them what adjustments they see. They don’t write a new playbook. Coaches are deciding what to tweak or modify, more of this less of that, and they go back out and call in plays from the existing playbook with some different formations, patterns, timing, tempo, etc - whatever. players just go execute the plays called into the QBs helmet, they don’t make the sausage too.

the question is why coaches often seem to wait for halftime at all. I understand not adjusting in the middle of a series, they are busy calling the next plays etc. But when the defense is on the field, why arent offensive staff quickly breaking down whats not working, how are they defending, how can it be more effectively attacked, etc., and adjusting before they get the ball back next series. Maybe they are doing that some.

real time instant genius shit, thats what we need.
                      They are adjusting all the time: it depends on the nature and extent of the adjustment.

There has to be some coordination between what the offense and defense is doing, or you have Buddy Ryan punching Kevin Gilbride on the sideline.
                      That type of adjustment can only happen at halftime.

Staley and staff made adjustments at halftime: trying to protect a 20 point lead type adjustments while getting the ball to start the half.

They were bad adjustments.
                      Coach Staley and staff typically made poor adjustments this entire season.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Not that it means much or would change anything...but it would have been refreshing for a change to hear him come out and just say, "Look, I fucked this one up. I let these guys down. I'll do whatever I can to make sure something like this never happens again."

I dunno. I assume/guess/think that he probably said something like this in private to the team? At least that's what I hope happens anytime a team has an epic meltdown like this.

Look - a week after the sting has worn off a bit...I am at least WILLING to see what he can do next year since he did hold the team together this year through unprecedented injuries and Lombardi certainly wasn't his first choice for OC. And everybody loves a redemption story (honestly at this point it would need to be a Super Bowl to wash the stink off). BUT, why in the hell is TT allowed to try to find the players to make it work?
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Reading too much into things is a big thing here.
                          100%
                          half the time I don't even listen to these so-called press conferences.
                          I can frame anything anyone says as something negative or positive depending on my inclination.
                          Staley can be the most arrogant ass in the world so long as he brings along a ring.
                          show me results and i'll judge those.
                          2024: Far From Over

Comment

Working...
                          X