• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    I think I rode a thoroughbred once as a kid. My buddy had a quarter horse mare and I doubled with him to a stables near the TJ sloughs. I rented a horse and off we went. Ron's mare didn't like to follow and a race started.I was far from expert but once it was on my horse smoothed out and the wind was whistling. I had enough composure to lean into it and let it run. Ron just disappeared behind us and my ride settled into a trot.
    I later read that the short lived stables was the front for a stolen thoroughbred ring.
    Who knows, but it was the ride of my life.
    As a rider, owner and breeder (not TB's) you should consider yourself very fortunate. These situation usually end badly . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Who do y'all have more confidence in coaching their side of the ball to be in the Top 10 - Staley or Moore? Yes, I know Ainsley has the DC title. But, c'mon.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

As a rider, owner and breeder (not TB's) you should consider yourself very fortunate. These situation usually end badly . . . . . . . . . .
        Hence my guess. The horse was better trained than I. I just didn't screw up what a stronger, smarter animal wanted to do.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

ON TOPIC:

Looking back over the last 3 years we can see Staley has fixed some major problems:
          Special teams are no longer "speshul".
          Kicking FG now inspires confidence instead of dread.
          OC playcalling was rigid, and after 1 pre season game ive seen fluidity
          Depth: Injuries exposed our backups as subpar. This season the backups could start elsewhere

Sure Coach Staley has made mistakes, he is human. I for one am very happy with whats been fixed already and hope he continues coaching Chargers for many seasons.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
            ON TOPIC:

Looking back over the last 3 years we can see Staley has fixed some major problems:
            Special teams are no longer "speshul".
            Kicking FG now inspires confidence instead of dread.
            OC playcalling was rigid, and after 1 pre season game ive seen fluidity
            Depth: Injuries exposed our backups as subpar. This season the backups could start elsewhere

Sure Coach Staley has made mistakes, he is human. I for one am very happy with whats been fixed already and hope he continues coaching Chargers for many seasons.
            During the years with Lynn, it seemed players who didn't deserve to play played over players who were more deserving. Like, this guy has this or that, so he must be the one to play. This is not so with Staley. Also, Staley is a better talent evaluator. Something people overlooked about with Lynn, he wasn't a good judge of talent, and he dragged Telesco down with him.

It's been 2 years since Staley got hired as HC. I look back at that time fondly.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

During the years with Lynn, it seemed players who didn't deserve to play played over players who were more deserving. Like, this guy has this or that, so he must be the one to play. This is not so with Staley. Also, Staley is a better talent evaluator. Something people overlooked about with Lynn, he wasn't a good judge of talent, and he dragged Telesco down with him.

It's been 2 years since Staley got hired as HC. I look back at that time fondly.
              What I want to see from him is continued improvement. He is only entering his 3rd year as a HC so that seems reasonable to me. I liked hearing him spend time with the Warriors to see how they got over their failure. He appears to be willing to learn so that gives me hope.

My concern is that Staley the DC gets Staley the HC fired.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

two words: Tyrod Taylor
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What I want to see from him is continued improvement. He is only entering his 3rd year as a HC so that seems reasonable to me. I liked hearing him spend time with the Warriors to see how they got over their failure. He appears to be willing to learn so that gives me hope.

My concern is that Staley the DC gets Staley the HC fired.
                  I don't see it. If Staley's judgement of player and coaching talent is good, it's good on D as well.
                  If the O is as good as we expect, The D only has to be NFL average statistically. Not a major hurdle.
                  I expect better.
                  Staley has his dream team front 7 pass rush in place and healthy with good depth. DBs look good - very good.
                  I believe we're easily a top 10 pass D, average or better run D and scoring D.
                  IMO It's on Herbert, Moore and the offense. Live up to their promise, we're a serious playoff threat.
                  Win one or more games then and fire the HC? Nope.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I don't see it. If Staley's judgement of player and coaching talent is good, it's good on D as well.
                    If the O is as good as we expect, The D only has to be NFL average statistically. Not a major hurdle.
                    I expect better.
                    Staley has his dream team front 7 pass rush in place and healthy with good depth. DBs look good - very good.
                    IMO It's on Herbert, Moore and the offense. Live up to their promise, we're a serious playoff threat.
                    Lot's of coordinators had success running an O or D and were not good head coaches.

On paper, we should be challenging for a championship this year with a normal amount of injuries. Our D has not been even close to average under Staley. I understand injuries, taking time to bring in players that fit your scheme, developing players - all those play a big part. If the D doesn't take the next step, it could cost him his job. Being an optimistic, I think we do turn the corner and make a deep playoff run.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I expect better.
                      Dream team is an overstatement. He assembled pieces that he could, given availability and budget. I am sure his dream team has an Aaron Donald/Chris Smith on it - mine sure does. We don’t have anyone close to them and it would, imo, literally change everything. I’d add a Patrick Willis to my dream team too. Those two would change the rush defense, the edge rush, the interior rush and thereby everything for the better.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Dream team is an overstatement. He assembled pieces that he could, given availability and budget. I am sure his dream team has an Aaron Donald/Chris Smith on it - mine sure does. We don’t have anyone close to them and it would, imo, literally change everything. I’d add a Patrick Willis to my dream team too. Those two would change the rush defense, the edge rush, the interior rush and thereby everything for the better.
                        LOL! Yeah he did have to work with what he could get. I though that caveat was understood. They're pretty good nonetheless.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Telesco did it to himself. Lynn wasn't there when Telesco was wasting premium picks on D.J. Fluker, Manti Te'o, Jeremiah Attaochu, Chris Watt, and Max Tuerk.

Comment

Working...
                          X