• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

It's totally irrational...but already I'm crazy in love with Coach Staley, human being and leader. He helps me believe in humans, when for me, I concede, that's been a challenge.

I'm minutes from bed, drinks in belly...But in the back of my mind, a horrible thought lurks, given his family history: Brian's Song*. Tell me I'm stupid. Will someone please tell me I'm stupid?

*Younger fans won't have context or know the movie and music. Perhaps good reason to dismiss me. Just tell me I'm stupid.

I'll bless you for it.
    Last edited by DragonIce; 05-18-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

I know only a bit about Lombardi. Don't have a sense of how respected he is in the league. Joe isn't one of the "young guns." He's 49, bounced around a bit. But if Staley likes him...and this O explodes (quite possible) some GM in the league might like him too.

If the day comes to say goodbye I suspect Staley will feel a rightful pride in it, and will feel happy for Joe. And Staley can then say this: "My coaching tree begins"

This is all silly talk right now, I suppose...
      Success yields opportunities for assistants.
      When we prove to be successful on the field, our staff will become sought after.
      Staley’s coaching tree will naturally branch out.
      Most of us are in the “seeing the possibility of greatness” with the JH10/Staley combo.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

i know only a bit about Staley, but would we be unwise to project that someday his effusive genius will explode from the gird of his loins into the receptive moist vessel of his wife’s uterus and emphatically embed into the cells of her unborn zygotes such that someday we will watch a Super Bowl where the two opposing coaches are both his children? Is that really too far fetched to expect?

because frankly, I’m not sure about all that … but this has to be one of the silliest preseasons in charger history. I too am excited.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
          Not sure if this has been discussed, but do we think Staley is going to add some personal wrinkles to Lombardi’s offense? I’m sure he’s been influenced some by McVey, but what would his offensive imprint look like?

Or do we think he’s just going to focus on implementing his defense in year 1 and just let Lombardi’s do his thang?
          Staley had a framework in mind before his OC and asst's were hired. Joe's in charge of running what they have agreed on.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            1 positive I can think of in the situation where Lombardi leaves to be a HC because of our offensive success, is that we’ll likely have our pick of OC candidates who want to work with Herbert and Staley to get their shot at similar path to a HC position
            It’s more likely we’d promote someone from within. A receivers, RB, OL coach. Most likely Shane Day, the passing game coordinator.

If what we were doing worked, continuity should be maintained.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

I know only a bit about Lombardi. Don't have a sense of how respected he is in the league. Joe isn't one of the "young guns." He's 49, bounced around a bit. But if Staley likes him...and this O explodes (quite possible) some GM in the league might like him too.

If the day comes to say goodbye I suspect Staley will feel a rightful pride in it, and will feel happy for Joe. And Staley can then say this: "My coaching tree begins"

This is all silly talk right now, I suppose...
              Daboll is 46 and has been part of far more terrible offenses than good offenses but was still a hot name (especially around here) for a HC job this off season thanks to Allen’s improvement during his time there. If the offense continues to improve Lombardi will get his shot.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

It’s more likely we’d promote someone from within. A receivers, RB, OL coach. Most likely Shane Day, the passing game coordinator.

If what we were doing worked, continuity should be maintained.
                Bingo
                Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Brandon Staley’s innovations revealed the next evolution of defense

Brandon Staley’s innovative scheme pushed the Rams and the NFL into the next step of defensive evolution.

This week’s film breakdown analyzes The Los Angeles Rams defense and Brandon Staley’s defensive innovations. In a 2020 season where offenses set multiple records, the Rams defense was one of the few that actually improved. What did Staley do to take the next step in defensive innovation? This episode uses the all-22 coaches film to analyze the Los Angeles Rams defense and Brandon Staley.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
                    Brandon Staley’s innovations revealed the next evolution of defense

Awesome video. Left me with mixed feelings. Mostly concerning personnel and run defense. Feel like we need an IDL who consistently draws double teams. Need big years from Jones and Tillery.

However, I am confident that Murray and Tranquil will prosper in Staley’s scheme. They are both high IQ, instinctive players.

Gonna be a big test for our CBs, especially Davis, who has improved a lot but definitely isn’t Ramsey. Gonna be interesting to see if Staley uses Derwin to eliminate TEs in the first half, then applies him more as a blitzer in the second.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

He will have to adapt, certainly. Bosa is a close enough fit to Donald I'm not so worried about that.

His tendency to man on the backside and zone on the frontside may not work without Ramsey, unless it's James covering a TE as you say. But that often won't be a weakside coverage. His defense needs to run zone heavy to work, but the ability to split man from zone really helped.

He does show great anticipation of blocking schemes in order to free up Donald (not just this video but others he really seems to know how the O is going to block) so hopefully he can adapt to the pieces we have.

The other thing you see often is him asking DBs to cover less ground with quicker processing.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I don’t think Staley was hired to replicate exactly what the Rams did. I think he was hired because he is very smart and designs defenses to match his personnel and combat what the offense is doing. So I am pretty confident he is not coming here expecting someone to be the Chargers’ Donald and someone to be Ramsey. There are only one of each of those. Expect the defense to look a bit different than the Rams did and make the most of Bosa and James.

I am pretty excited to see what he does in applying his same philosophies to the offense, too

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          I don’t think Staley was hired to replicate exactly what the Rams did. I think he was hired because he is very smart and designs defenses to match his personnel and combat what the offense is doing. So I am pretty confident he is not coming here expecting someone to be the Chargers’ Donald and someone to be Ramsey. There are only one of each of those. Expect the defense to look a bit different than the Rams did and make the most of Bosa and James.

I am pretty excited to see what he does in applying his same philosophies to the offense, too

TG
                          Well said good sir!
                          I concur.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...