• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I don’t think Staley was hired to replicate exactly what the Rams did. I think he was hired because he is very smart and designs defenses to match his personnel and combat what the offense is doing. So I am pretty confident he is not coming here expecting someone to be the Chargers’ Donald and someone to be Ramsey. There are only one of each of those. Expect the defense to look a bit different than the Rams did and make the most of Bosa and James.

I am pretty excited to see what he does in applying his same philosophies to the offense, too

TG
    He’s not old enough yet to be stubbornly stuck in a rut.

Like Gus
    Like Norval
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Well said good sir!
      I concur.
      Absolutely. he will structure the defense with the talents that he has. He's not a cookie cutter coach

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

I agree he will tailor the D to the players. The risk with someone like Staley is that he gets too clever. That's what ended Reid in Philly.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
          Brandon Staley’s innovations revealed the next evolution of defense

TY.
          Great content.

Steve's EAGLE Front...it's new and it's old.

Key points

1. Donald/Ramsey vs Bosa/James
          --how will '21 LAC defense differ from '20 Rams defense ?
          2. NFL offenses '20 vs '21
          --how will adjustments be made to StaleyD and imitators ?

Spy vs spy.
          4 Dimensional Chess.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I don’t think Staley was hired to replicate exactly what the Rams did. I think he was hired because he is very smart and designs defenses to match his personnel and combat what the offense is doing. So I am pretty confident he is not coming here expecting someone to be the Chargers’ Donald and someone to be Ramsey. There are only one of each of those. Expect the defense to look a bit different than the Rams did and make the most of Bosa and James.

I am pretty excited to see what he does in applying his same philosophies to the offense, too

TG
            Agreed.

To read between the lines...

Not only is Alex Rollins saying that Joey Bosa and Derwin James are different than Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

He is saying that the Rams defenders are better players.

As good as Joey and Derwin are, Donald is top two or three player in the league, and Ramsey is the very best DB.

Derwin can be more versatile than Jalen. Joey is loosely equated to Khalil Mack by Staley.

Vs LAR, we have superior pieces around our big two--go ahead and do a side by side comparison ! It is a matter of bringing it all together.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

TG
              Bingo. This right here.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Agreed.

To read between the lines...

Not only is Alex Rollins saying that Joey Bosa and Derwin James are different than Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

He is saying that the Rams defenders are better players.

As good as Joey and Derwin are, Donald is top two or three player in the league, and Ramsey is the very best DB.

Derwin can be more versatile than Jalen. Joey is loosely equated to Khalil Mack by Staley.

Vs LAR, we have superior pieces around our big two--go ahead and do a side by side comparison ! It is a matter of bringing it all together.
                I don't even know what we have in Bosa & Derwin. DJ has been a no-show and Bosa hasn't been dominant.
                I want to agree that we have superior over-all D talent but a LOT depends on Staley & his D coaching assistants.
                I think we can be a top 5 D or better in '21 "IF".
                GO BOLTS !!

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I don't even know what we have in Bosa & Derwin. DJ has been a no-show and Bosa hasn't been dominant.
                  I want to agree that we have superior over-all D talent but a LOT depends on Staley & his D coaching assistants.
                  I think we can be a top 5 D or better in '21 "IF".
                  GO BOLTS !!
                  thats where im at also.

not impressed with this team at all yet.

Bosa needs to step it up.

DJ needs to actually get on the field and show that his rookie year isn't a fluke

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

thats where im at also.

not impressed with this team at all yet.

Bosa needs to step it up.

DJ needs to actually get on the field and show that his rookie year isn't a fluke
                    Bowa was double or triple teamed for 64 straight quarters in 2020. Derwin i agree on, if he hurts himself one more time dicking around in a non-game situation, he’s not invited to my Christmas party.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Bosa was double or triple teamed for 64 straight quarters in 2020. Derwin i agree on, if he hurts himself one more time dicking around in a non-game situation, he’s not invited to my Christmas party.
                      is Bosa not one of the highest or the highest paid defensive players?

also think its pretty scary that he had two concussions last season or was it one?

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

also think its pretty scary that he had two concussions last season or was it one?
                        Joey Bosa has a 21.2% pressure rate since 2016 which is the highest for Edge defenders over that period of time.

While they are not all sacks they definitely do affect the opposing offense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

He does alright

Comment

Working...
                          X