• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
    This. If we want/need our first round pick to produce and make an impact this year, than we should not go with an edge rusher in the first round. While edge rushers may have brief flashes during their rookie season, they usually take a while to adapt their moves and technique to the pro level. To me, by the time a rookie selected in this draft is at full go, Ingram and Attachou will be fulfilling that role for us. With those two guys still developing, I am not sure I see the value in an edge rusher at the 17 pick.
    Well....you need more than two, AND precisely because they do take time to develop. I would prefer our picks make us better, not necessarily in the short term only. Gurley and Gordon are very good talents, but there are a lot of talented backs in this draft. the way things look, we are in an excellent position to get a very good player at 17. Is the drop off in talent steeper at other positions of great need? If so, RB may come somewhere in the 2nd-4th. if one of the very top WR falls, it may be prudent to go that direction. The same is true of other positions. IMO it all comes down to the value placed on the positions themselves, across positions, and the clusters of value they have to choose from in each round. I am sure they are discussing RB in Rd 1, just like I am sure they are looking at other scenarios. There are many ways to go and a lot of talent to pick through. I am also pretty sure that what we see on the Big Boards is not what teams have in front of them; one key reason is the medical eval that we are not privy to and has a big part of some evaluations. The same can be said for interviews etc. A lot of the boards will have some "name" players that are valued there a LOt higher than within the league....happens every year as well.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Its not where you pick, its who you get.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I am not sold on the top 4 WR's. None of them have a long history of production. You can get a Jamison Crowder in the third or 4th with 1000 yards in his last three seasons and the top for only have one maybe two 1000 yard seasons. Crowder has 280+ receptions and none of the top 4 are even with in 50 catches of him. If you ask me you get a proven commodity in Crowder in the 3rd maybe even 4th round and historically a WR in the top of the draft is a crap shoot of the highest order! You have to hit on the #1 pick absolutely have to.

RB or OLBr at 17 WR later...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          I am not sold on the top 4 WR's. None of them have a long history of production. You can get a Jamison Crowder in the third or 4th with 1000 yards in his last three seasons and the top for only have one maybe two 1000 yard seasons. Crowder has 280+ receptions and none of the top 4 are even with in 50 catches of him. If you ask me you get a proven commodity in Crowder in the 3rd maybe even 4th round and historically a WR in the top of the draft is a crap shoot of the highest order! You have to hit on the #1 pick absolutely have to.

RB or OLBr at 17 WR later...
          I wasn't ncessarily advocating WR...just an example. As for Crowder...he has the skills to be a fantastic slot guy. I don't see him having success on the outside. He is far too small and slight and will get pushed off his routes. Yes , he had great production at Duke; one of the best college offensive minds is his HC, and he got th ball in the hands of his best weapon. I like him, loved watching him at Duke, and I think he will have a good career as a slot receiver.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

He is very similar to Steve Smith Sr IMO. I would also add Darren Waller in the 5th or 6th a 6'6" 240# WR who runs a 4.5 40 and is raw but a great player to spell Floyd or even VJ after he develops a little bit.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He is very similar to Steve Smith Sr IMO. I would also add Darren Waller in the 5th or 6th a 6'6" 240# WR who runs a 4.5 40 and is raw but a great player to spell Floyd or even VJ after he develops a little bit.
              Steve smith SR Is a lot stronger....has always been able to fight off physical corners to get into his routes. I don't see that from Crowder. Nothing wrong with a very good slot receiver though.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Jamison is an inch shorter than Steve Smith and is the same weight at 185# as Steve Smith was coming into the league. He did 10 reps of 225# and he is 40 pounds less than 225... Steve Smith did not lift at the combine... Not sure he is stronger. Crowder has worked on the outside an in the slot. Smiths rookie year he went to the pro-bowl for Special Teams not as a WR... He took a year to get up to speed as a receiver, what I would expect from Crowder as well.

Analysis

Strengths Great instant acceleration. Will burst out of cuts and gain separation when working underneath. Good route-runner who consistently gets on top of defenders quicker than they expect. Will sink hips and snap his route off abruptly. Has experience as both outside and slot wide receiver. Will give effort as a blocker. Has return experience in special teams.

Weaknesses Lacks desired NFL size. Below-average length and hands and offers a small target radius for quarterbacks. Not an authoritative runner after the catch. Can be redirected in his routes by physical cornerbacks. High number of targets came from bubble screens and quick hitters. Has focus drops.

NFL Comparison Eddie Royal

Bottom Line Smallish slot wide receiver who will have to win with his quickness and route proficiency. Features point-guard quickness and generally solid hands. Has proven his willingness to compete all over the field despite his lack of size.

Let him play behind Jones and Floyd. His movement skills and quickness will make him a great scheme fit for our short passing game IMO.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Jamison is an inch shorter than Steve Smith and is the same weight at 185# as Steve Smith was coming into the league. He did 10 reps of 225# and he is 40 pounds less than 225... Steve Smith did not lift at the combine... Not sure he is stronger. Crowder has worked on the outside an in the slot. Smiths rookie year he went to the pro-bowl for Special Teams not as a WR... He took a year to get up to speed as a receiver, what I would expect from Crowder as well.

Analysis

Strengths Great instant acceleration. Will burst out of cuts and gain separation when working underneath. Good route-runner who consistently gets on top of defenders quicker than they expect. Will sink hips and snap his route off abruptly. Has experience as both outside and slot wide receiver. Will give effort as a blocker. Has return experience in special teams.

Weaknesses Lacks desired NFL size. Below-average length and hands and offers a small target radius for quarterbacks. Not an authoritative runner after the catch. Can be redirected in his routes by physical cornerbacks. High number of targets came from bubble screens and quick hitters. Has focus drops.

NFL Comparison Eddie Royal

Bottom Line Smallish slot wide receiver who will have to win with his quickness and route proficiency. Features point-guard quickness and generally solid hands. Has proven his willingness to compete all over the field despite his lack of size.

Let him play behind Jones and Floyd. His movement skills and quickness will make him a great scheme fit for our short passing game IMO.
                  Johnson?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Below average hands? N to the O.
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                      Well....you need more than two, AND precisely because they do take time to develop. I would prefer our picks make us better, not necessarily in the short term only. Gurley and Gordon are very good talents, but there are a lot of talented backs in this draft. the way things look, we are in an excellent position to get a very good player at 17. Is the drop off in talent steeper at other positions of great need? If so, RB may come somewhere in the 2nd-4th. if one of the very top WR falls, it may be prudent to go that direction. The same is true of other positions. IMO it all comes down to the value placed on the positions themselves, across positions, and the clusters of value they have to choose from in each round. I am sure they are discussing RB in Rd 1, just like I am sure they are looking at other scenarios. There are many ways to go and a lot of talent to pick through. I am also pretty sure that what we see on the Big Boards is not what teams have in front of them; one key reason is the medical eval that we are not privy to and has a big part of some evaluations. The same can be said for interviews etc. A lot of the boards will have some "name" players that are valued there a LOt higher than within the league....happens every year as well.
                      Well... we HAVE more than 2. We have 4 already. Behind Ingram & Attachou we have C Law and Tourek Williams. As noted it takes a couple years for them to develop and of course our injury bug always sets the clock back on almost every player we have high hopes for, but this year needs to be the year Ingram and Williams step up and replace Freeney and JJ. Then we have fresh legs rotating in with Attachou and Law, and will probably draft another at some point. If he is still available, I would hope they bring in Keiser at least through camps and preseason to compete for a 5th spot. We have a lot of flexibility to go BPA early and focus on lesser needs and depth later, but I'm hoping we land stud DL & OL in some order with our top 2 picks before taking any RB, WR, OLB, SS etc.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Classic
                        Hall Of Fame
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

Fowler is the only 34 OLB worth a 1st round grade. If he is there you go OLB, if not go RB and grab Gurley.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

I've lost hope of getting a top OLB in this draft. One just doesn't seem to be there when we pick in the 1st or 2nd. Yeah, we can get a guy, but not a great pass rusher. And i don't know if I want to waste a draft pick on a blocking dummy.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X