• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - and I was almost going to start a thread on it - but what about...crowd noise? Herbert had the luxury of playing his rookie year with no one in the stands, so there was absolutely no distractions due to crowds revving up the volume. I wonder what it will be like for him in, say, Kansas City, when the crowd is going crazy and Herbie can't hear - or communicate - a thing. Is he used to that kind of noise? Does anyone else think this could be a potential problem?
    LITERALLY been meaning to post this same thought. And I wholly agree. The knee jerk reaction is to say, "Herbie's used to crowd noise playing in college stadiums". Okay. But he wasn't playing against NFL defenses. And he wasn't learning Lombardi's system. I saw Rivers struggle to get play changes at the line while under duress of the crowd noise. And Hebert basically had a pass on that all year. He was a stud, no doubt. But I cannot imagine it's equal difficulty now that he's stepping onto enemy fields, full of hostile and loud fans.

Something to watch for.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

LITERALLY been meaning to post this same thought. And I wholly agree. The knee jerk reaction is to say, "Herbie's used to crowd noise playing in college stadiums". Okay. But he wasn't playing against NFL defenses. And he wasn't learning Lombardi's system. I saw Rivers struggle to get play changes at the line while under duress of the crowd noise. And Hebert basically had a pass on that all year. He was a stud, no doubt. But I cannot imagine it's equal difficulty now that he's stepping onto enemy fields, full of hostile and loud fans.

Something to watch for.
      Imagine how Tua’s gonna play with crowd noise.
      He struggled in silence.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Something to watch for.
        JH10 has been as cool as 5he other side of the pillow in NFL action.
        I just don’t see crowd noise as a major factor. He’ll use hand signals, silent counts, and call multiple plays in the huddle with hand and/or short verbiage signals.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I just don’t see crowd noise as a major factor. He’ll use hand signals, silent counts, and call multiple plays in the huddle with hand and/or short verbiage signals.
          Hope he can win some hard counts for free plays
          and run a few randomized no-huddle possessions.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Rivers was juiced with excitement, always, Just sometimes more than others. Herbert is more of a cool head. Should help.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Rivers was juiced with excitement, always, Just sometimes more than others. Herbert is more of a cool head. Should help.
              You mean he was a Spaz?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You mean he was a Spaz?
                Let’s just say his veins weren’t exactly flowing with ice water. More like scalding Tabasco.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - and I was almost going to start a thread on it - but what about...crowd noise? Herbert had the luxury of playing his rookie year with no one in the stands, so there was absolutely no distractions due to crowds revving up the volume. I wonder what it will be like for him in, say, Kansas City, when the crowd is going crazy and Herbie can't hear - or communicate - a thing. Is he used to that kind of noise? Does anyone else think this could be a potential problem?
                  How about this though.......not sure if just me but the first couple games were quiet but then certain stadiums started pumping loud artificial crowd noise by midseason. Then the last few weeks when they allowed some fans to attend + that artificial noise made games seem really loud on TV.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

How about this though.......not sure if just me but the first couple games were quiet but then certain stadiums started pumping loud artificial crowd noise by midseason. Then the last few weeks when they allowed some fans to attend + that artificial noise made games seem really loud on TV.
                    I mentioned this actually a few pages back with a link to an article regarding the use of artificial noise and how it was deployed.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

How about Fuck Fan Noise. Herbert can Handle.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

I think it says a lot when the biggest threat to your QB is loud noises.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

This is an excellent point. I think all last year’s rookie QBs enjoyed the advantage of learning NFL game speed w/o the issue of crowd noise. A silent stadium brings an element of practice to real games. However, for Herbert it balanced out with not having all the prep reps leading up to the season.

Seems like Herbert played well in the Rose Bowl against Wisconsin. That’s probably been the loudest game of his career so far.
                          Autsin Stadium, home for the Ducks, is very loud. He's played with loud crowd noise his entire four years in Eugene.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X