• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I mentioned this actually a few pages back with a link to an article regarding the use of artificial noise and how it was deployed.
    Aha I knew it!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

So the conclusion here is there is no way to stop Herbert?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        So the conclusion here is there is no way to stop Herbert?
        My problem with the direction this thread took is this - it seems like some are looking for reasons to expect less from Herbert this year - and it's all unfounded.

No, I'm not thinking it's impossible to stop Herbert now but my conclusion is that it will be harder to stop him this year. Consider these facts = he has a year of experience now, his young WR's also have a year of experience now. He'll be playing behind a much better OL this year. The OL will mean an improvement in the run game.

The glass is NOT half empty.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

The whole point of this thread was to anticipate how defenses would be scheming to stop Herbert. I think the answer is lots of pre-snap movement, but that is exactly how Staley will be running drills in practice.

The Pats succeeded in shutting him down, but that was all about running stunts and games to dismantle our OL. Hopefully that approach won’t work with our new guys.
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Here is an interesting story, though I don't agree with their rankings:

They say that Herbert was the best in the NFL while under pressure, but they say his accuracy was not as good when he had a clean pocket?..... does that mean that improving our OL will make Herbie less accurate?.....

my guess is no and that there are some other (likely more important) factors that also contributed to his high accuracy in some situations and his less than accurate moments .......

maybe the times he was under pressure were also times when the defense was taking chances with all out blitzes and therefore Herbert only had to scramble to buy time to beat single or blown coverages? and when he had clean pockets, the defense was using more elaborate or complicated coverages?

One thing that was obvious last year is that Herbert was getting better game after game (yes, bellycheat figured out ways to mess with him but he is a genius and does that to the best)..... Herbert also tended to learn from his mistakes and not repeat the same mistake again..... so I believe he will continue to improve.....

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Pressure could also slow the game down for him as he relies on training and instincts rather than thinking and analysing. A lot of his under pressure throws were on time and on rythm with good mechanics in the pocket rather than scrambles or broken plays. This suggests he can translate these mechanics to the rest of his game with time and experience.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Me either. Staley should be a huge upgrade. I think we are looking good when it comes to in game tactical decisions.
                And a better or upgrade in talent all over the roster.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

And a better or upgrade in talent all over the roster.
                  Enthusiasm.

It’s contagious.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    The whole point of this thread was to anticipate how defenses would be scheming to stop Herbert. I think the answer is lots of pre-snap movement, but that is exactly how Staley will be running drills in practice.

The Pats succeeded in shutting him down, but that was all about running stunts and games to dismantle our OL. Hopefully that approach won’t work with our new guys.
                    I think they jammed the heck out of our WR at LOS which disrupted timing or possibility of anyone getting opened. Even KA was nowhere to be found on that game. Perhaps he was double teamed.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Without having seen any games, let alone a season played by the Staley - Lombardi - Day - Herbert offense behind a competent OL ?? It's anybodys guess but there will be similarities to Saints.
                      Bellichick is a singular coach. It'll be interesting to see what he brings with 6 games to study. It will also be interesting to see Staley's preparation for NE. I'm imaging a coaching clash with Chargers having superior player talent.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Without having seen any games, let alone a season played by the Staley - Lombardi - Day - Herbert offense behind a competent OL ?? It's anybodys guess but there will be similarities to Saints.
                        Bellichick is a singular coach. It'll be interesting to see what he brings with 6 games to study. It will also be interesting to see Staley's preparation for NE. I'm imaging a coaching clash with Chargers having superior player talent.
                        Good point. Obviously our preparation will have everything to do with who’s playing QB at that point. If it’s Cam we run blitz and make him force bad throws. If it’s Mac we run dial up the pre-snap motion. I hope Staley recognizes how important that game is. Last year was beyond demoralizing.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

In the NE game their pass rush overwhelmed our OL and they have very good DB's. Herbert couldn't find open receivers in the short time he had. Hopefully, this years OL can handle that pressure and with the extra time in the pocket our receivers will get open.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X