Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Historically, the Chargers are not in a hurry to get guys to re-up. Traditionally, unless a contract i expiring, the Chargers will not start to negotiate extensions until after our rookies are signed. It used to be that was after the start of TC, but now that is more like the middle of the summer, since draft pick usually are signed in May.
    right, I get that and agree. However, this year is a little different than normal with the stadium situation coming to a boil and Rivers himself publically hedging on signing a new deal with a potential move to LA being a factor.

There's more going on behind the scenes this time and different motivations possible for the club and Rivers. Last year this time it was player wants a restructure done, team wants it done and it gets done. We saw Royal, Freeney done quickly and Clary a little later.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• rikardo
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
      One of the mock draft guys on the CBS web site was proposing a trade of Rivers for the Jets #6 whereby we traded draft picks, and ended up with a 2nd. IOW, we get Mariota, dump River's contract, Jets get #17, a and we pick up the Jet's 2nd round pick. I'd have a problem not taking that.
      Rivers alone is worth 2 to 3 first rounders. And another thing, I heard Rivers did not like big city like LA, that means he would only play one year for the Jets, cause he wont re-sign with them. Of course the team that trades for Rivers would want almost an imidiate extention. So NY is out IMO...
      Last edited by rikardo; 04-04-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Alex Smith was worth two 2nd round picks, so that would make Rivers worth about five 1st round picks at least...

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Marriota sucks.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            He said the Jet's first- (#6) AND second-round picks. Which still isn't enough, considering we're giving up our own 1st-round pick (ironically, #17).
            Either way, not even close.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

from pft

Talk in Tennessee of Titans making a run at Rivers
              Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT

Trade rumors come and go all the time in the NFL. Sometimes the rumor is quickly denied and disappears. Sometimes the rumor comes to fruition. And then there’s the persistent rumor that the Chargers could trade quarterback Philip Rivers to the Titans for the second overall pick in the draft.

That rumor sounds farfetched, and yet it’s not going away. Today’s installment of the discussion comes from David Clymer of the Tennesseean, who writes that the Titans are unlikely to use the second overall pick on either Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota, but would like to add a quarterback. Among the dots being connected to lead to the conclusion that Rivers is in play:

Rivers isn’t signing a new contract with the Chargers, meaning his future with the team is uncertain. Rivers reportedly wouldn’t want to move to Los Angeles along with the Chargers if they leave for San Diego, and the Chargers may want a quarterback they can be sure is there for the long run, and not just for one more year.

The Chargers are interested in Mariota. San Diego has scheduled a workout for Mariota, which wouldn’t make a lot of sense if the Chargers weren’t considering trading up to get him. It’s unlikely that Mariota will be there for the Chargers with the 17th overall pick in the draft.

Rivers has a connection with Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt. Rivers said at the end of the 2013 season, when Whisenhunt was the Chargers’ offensive coordinator, that they had worked very well together and that Rivers had no doubt Whisenhunt would succeed in his next head-coaching stop.

The Titans have the cap space to take on Rivers’s contract this year. Tennessee currently has about $26 million in cap space, meaning it could take on Rivers’s $17 million cap hit for this year. Obviously, if the Titans were going to trade the No. 2 overall pick for Rivers, they’d want to work out a long-term contract extension with him. But they can take on his current contract now and worry about an extension later.

Add it all up, and the idea of the Titans making a run at Rivers, and the Chargers taking the No. 2 pick and drafting Mariota, doesn’t sound crazy. It’s an idea worth keeping an eye on as the draft approaches.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I still say Tennessee will not trade the number 2 overall without securing Rivers to a long term deal first - no way they make the trade and "worry about extending later", that would be a fireable offense for their GM to trade that coveted pick and just roll the dice, and then lose out, on a publicly discontented player.

And if Rivers agreed to an extension, that would mean he doesn't care about getting a ring - the Chargers (San Diego or Los Angeles) are a lot closer to a Super Bowl than the Titans.

I refuse to buy this bogus rumor.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  I still say Tennessee will not trade the number 2 overall without securing Rivers to a long term deal first - no way they make the trade and "worry about extending later", that would be a fireable offense for their GM to trade that coveted pick and just roll the dice, and then lose out, on a publicly discontented player.

And if Rivers agreed to an extension, that would mean he doesn't care about getting a ring - the Chargers (San Diego or Los Angeles) are a lot closer to a Super Bowl than the Titans.

I refuse to buy this bogus rumor.
                  I buy it, Whiz wants to win now and keep his job. He doesn't want to train Marriota for the next head coach.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Whiz ain't the GM. It would be beyond stupid for Tennessee to make that trade without getting Rivers to sign.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      Whiz ain't the GM. It would be beyond stupid for Tennessee to make that trade without getting Rivers to sign.
                      If there was an Andrew Luck type of talent in this draft, I wouldn't mind.

But Marriota sucks. He's not even as good as RG3.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        If there was an Andrew Luck type of talent in this draft, I wouldn't mind.

But Marriota sucks. He's not even as good as RG3.
                        I wouldnt go that far.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          I wouldnt go that far.
                          But seriously he sucks.

Comment

Working...