Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
      Are you guys listening to this right now on 1360?

Allegedly the Bronco's are interested in Rivers...They just had one of the Bronco beat writers on with Judson Richards and they were talking about Mr. Horse Face a.k.a John Elway wanting to find a way to get Rivers into a Bronco's uniform . I know this doesn't have any Legs but I find it funny that this would ever be even a rumor
      Sure, thats the team we will trade him to :LOL:

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

If the team moves to LA next year and Rivers really doesn't want to go AND we didn't tag him, I suppose he could sign with them. It does make sense from the Broncos point of view as Manning will retire after this season and they need a QB. I mean, would anyone really want Osweiler over Rivers?

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I mean, would anyone really want Osweiler over Rivers?
          Maybe the LA Chargers would.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

One of the mock draft guys on the CBS web site was proposing a trade of Rivers for the Jets #6 whereby we traded draft picks, and ended up with a 2nd. IOW, we get Mariota, dump River's contract, Jets get #17, a and we pick up the Jet's 2nd round pick. I'd have a problem not taking that.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
              One of the mock draft guys on the CBS web site was proposing a trade of Rivers for the Jets #6 whereby we traded draft picks, and ended up with a 2nd. IOW, we get Mariota, dump River's contract, Jets get #17, a and we pick up the Jet's 2nd round pick. I'd have a problem not taking that.
              I would. Why is Rivers contract in need of dumping? It's not like we need the cap space to sign any free agents this year and then we are going with a rookie QB or Kellen Clemens - not exactly a recipe for short term success.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                I would have a problem with that. First by trading Rivers and second not getting enough for him.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Getting raped by the Jets then putting a rookie QB into a position to struggle? Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

If the Raiders gave a high 1st and a 2nd to get Palmer, who wan't playing near as well, how are we getting value for Rivers with JUST the #6 pick. Particularly since he is a bargain in terms of his cap figure this season (only about $15 mill).

If Mariotta is going to come in an be successful right away, we need a more OL help (vet help) and improved D. You can't ask a rookie QB to come in and tart if they have to throw 40-50 times a game with no OL and have to score a lot of point.

We can keep River and have the type of team that can win now. Use our top pick to step up our OL, and outside pass rush, then if we need to we can afford to put points on the board and make teams keep up with our offense. Yeah, we need the OL to play better and get a running game going, but if the blocking is there the running game will take enough pressure off of Rivers.
                  Last edited by Steve; 04-04-2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Getting raped by the Jets then putting a rookie QB into a position to struggle? Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

If the Raiders gave a high 1st and a 2nd to get Palmer, who wan't playing near as well, how are we getting value for Rivers with JUST the #6 pick. Particularly since he is a bargain in terms of his cap figure this season (only about $15 mill).

If Mariotta is going to come in an be successful right away, we need a more OL help (vet help) and improved D. You can't ask a rookie QB to come in and tart if they have to throw 40-50 times a game with no OL and have to score a lot of point.

We can keep River and have the type of team that can win now. Use our top pick to step up our OL, and outside pass rush, then if we need to we can afford to put points on the board and make teams keep up with our offense. Yeah, we need the OL to play better and get a running game going, but if the blocking is there the running game will take enough pressure off of Rivers.
                    He said the Jet's first- (#6) AND second-round picks. Which still isn't enough, considering we're giving up our own 1st-round pick (ironically, #17).

Comment

• Maverick
                      (Coryellian)
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Point Loma
                      • Send PM

Extend PR's deal!

Stay put at #17 & draft Melvin Gordon!

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Food for thought: maybe somebody inside the Chargers org is starting these rumors as a way of getting Rivers to the bargaining table now on his new contract? He said he was in no hurry and was implying he would not want to relocate to LA with the team- and I'm sure he would have a worse time of it if the team traded him to NY or some other shitty city for raising kids.

Another possibility is the team "drafting for the future" and knowing they will tank this season- which would help grease the skids for an exit to LA where they start fresh with an exciting new QB and new identity????
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Historically, the Chargers are not in a hurry to get guys to re-up. Traditionally, unless a contract i expiring, the Chargers will not start to negotiate extensions until after our rookies are signed. It used to be that was after the start of TC, but now that is more like the middle of the summer, since draft pick usually are signed in May.

Comment

Working...
                          X