• Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Welcome SupaMel, Maybe

ESPN predicts Melvin Ingram to return to L.A. on a cheap deal

Yay or nay?

By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks May 28, 2021, 9:49am PDT
    26 CommentsShare this storyRobert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports
    We’re over two months past the start of the new league year and former Chargers edge rusher Melvin Ingram has yet to land with a new team. After paying him a fully-guaranteed $14 million dollars in 2020, the Bolts decided to let the veteran walk knowing full well he was going to expect a pretty penny to return to the team.

Now, with the Dolphins being the only team to have reportedly met with Ingram thus far, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell believes the long-time Bolt will actually return to his former team on a much cheaper, one-year, $5.5 million deal sometime this offseason.
    “Despite his success over the past several years, Ingram had zero sacks in seven games with the Chargers in 2020. The 2012 first-rounder struggled with a knee injury, which has undoubtedly limited his market. Given the need for edge-rushing talent around the NFL, though, it’s hard to imagine Ingram not finding an opportunity at some point this offseason.

One of the teams most in need of help on the edge is the Chargers, who haven’t really replaced Ingram this offseason. Los Angeles has one spot locked down with pass-rusher Joey Bosa, but if he were to get injured, coach Brandon Staley would be left with the likes of Kyler Fackrell and Uchenna Nwosu as his primary options on the edge. Bringing back Ingram would suit both parties.

When it comes to Ingram’s lack of production, and depending on whose opinion you ask, they’ll either tell you that it was a sure sign that he’s washed or they’ll remind you that he still affected the game other ways that didn’t end in him taking the quarterback down.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Ingram does in fact affect opposing defenses in more than one way, but you can’t simply brush off the fact he laid a goose egg in both the sack and tackle-for-loss categories. Yes, he only played in seven games due to injuries, but nothing? Zero? That’s a tough pill to swallow. Even bottom-shelf players luck their way into an occasional sack.

At the end of the day there really was no excuse for the lack of production. Joey Bosa was still on the other side of the line and he had several ideal matchups against the Bengals (bad tackles) and the Jets (rookie left tackle).

Even after all of that, I’d still welcome Ingram back to this defense on the deal proposed by Barnwell. I think the new defense will actually suit his skillset much better as an edge in a 3-4 as opposed to playing the role of a hybrid base end in a 4-3 front. I think the pressure was on him to set the edge by himself in the run game far too often while sitting at 245 pounds and with an extra defender lined up on the tackle inside of him, that responsibility should be a bit less daunting.

What do you all think? Would you welcome Ingram back or would you prefer the team continue to move on from some of these veteran players? Let me know in the comments below.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I’m a SupaMel fan, so I’d love to get him back for a cheaper year.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

He’s probably better than the bottom half of the roster, and maybe he’d be more effective in a rotational role that keeps him fresh. I haven’t heard a better name to add to the D front, are there any? Wait to see the June cuts?

Any way to stretch his arms? Ok, prob not.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

ZERO sacks all season? ZERO TFL last season? He's done...pass...

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          I’m a SupaMel fan, so I’d love to get him back for a cheaper year.
          Yes.
          Bradley's D didn't make anyone look good.
          I'd love to see Mel play fpr Coach Staley.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I always felt Ingram would end up back as a Bolt, especially after the KC visit resulted in nothing. With the additions of Rumph and Fackrell and with Staley's scheming, I'd feel pretty good about the pass rushing personnel on the team.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Ernie Accorsi on a franchise qb and pass rushers.

You've got to find the quarterback, and you've got to find the guys to knock him down.

I have no problem getting Ingram back in the fold. For cheap. I also think Staley could use him in other ways. Like plugging inside gaps on GL snaps.

For cheap.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

No thanks.
                showing up fat to camp last season told me his heart isn't into it
                then the hold-in followed by immediately getting hurt, idk, I feel a bit swindled
                visiting the Red also told me he has no sense of rivalry
                still can't get the imagine out of my head of him (and lambo) laughing it up with the raiders after an L
                jesus christ has football changed
                ya I'll take heat here for my unpopular opinions but I'll also stand by them, pass on Ingram
                use the cap elsewhere or roll over
                Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  No thanks.
                  showing up fat to camp last season told me his heart isn't into it
                  then the hold-in followed by immediately getting hurt, idk, I feel a bit swindled
                  visiting the Red also told me he has no sense of rivalry
                  still can't get the imagine out of my head of him (and lambo) laughing it up with the raiders after an L
                  jesus christ has football changed
                  ya I'll take heat here for my unpopular opinions but I'll also stand by them, pass on Ingram
                  use the cap elsewhere or roll over
                  He got let go and was looking for a job, I never blame a player for that. NFL has no loyalty to players, they are just equipment in the factory.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Bosa got 7.5 sacks and played the entire year.
                    I didn't notice Ingram looking slow & shot.

Hard to get to the quarterback when the strategy is to put a mass of humanity back, keep receivers in front of you
                    and then go up and miss the tackle.

Sign him, and then play him 30 - 35 snaps a game.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      Bosa got 7.5 sacks and played the entire year.
                      I didn't notice Ingram looking slow & shot.

Hard to get to the quarterback when the strategy is to keep receivers in front of you
                      and then go up and miss the tackle.

Sign him, and then play him 30 - 35 snaps a game.
                      Miss you, Gus!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Yes.
                        Bradley's D didn't make anyone look good.
                        I'd love to see Mel play fpr Coach Staley.
                        Bosa looked good in Bradley's D. He didn't have much help. The talent on the D the last two years was very overrated. That's why it had the struggles it's had. Staley seems to have fixed some of the weaknesses on the roster of the D. The roster looks better now.

Ingram is on the decline. It showed last year. Maybe that's why the team's he visited are passing on him.

Comment

Working...
                        X