The 2013 Chargers everything defence thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Keep your steaming pile of green Norv to your stable Mr Hoarse!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      Keep your steaming pile of green Norv to your stable Mr Hoarse!
      Hoarse has never been considered stable.

Thank you. I'll be here all season. Tip your lap dancers!
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
        :shit:
        I've got something for that.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Moving away from the 4th and 29 play...

With names like Dwight Freeney, Eric Weddle, Donald Butler and Corey Liuget just to name a few, the San Diego Chargers have an elite defensive unit on paper.

However, the game isn’t played on paper. Thus, it’s a good thing that so far, according to members of the defense, they are performing on the field like the elite defense they are capable of being.

“There is a good amount of guys who can play good football to be an elite defense,” said Derek Cox, a newcomer in 2013 who is expected to make the unit even stronger. “I’m impressed with the whole defensive side of the ball. As a defensive back, when your teammates can affect the quarterback with a rush and work together with our coverage, it puts the defense in position to make plays, get our hands on balls, force turnovers and get the ball back to our offense. I am just excited about seeing us reach our potential, which I think we will.”

Manti Te'o may be a rookie, but he can tell just by being in the locker room and meeting rooms with his teammates that they have what it takes to be a force to be reckoned with.

“We have a lot of talent on this defense and we have the potential to be really, really good,” said Manti Te’o. “That’s what we’re working toward. Just looking at a guy like Dwight Freeney, he was a guy I watched growing up. You can’t miss him. He makes plays every week, and having a guy like him raises everyone’s game.”

Freeney not only has impressed a first-year player like Te’o, but he’s also caught the eye of 11-year veteran Jarret Johnson.

“Dwight is a Hall of Fame caliber pass rusher,” he said. “This is my 11th year, and he’s bringing up games and fronts that I have never ran before which is pretty unique. To see some of the pass rush (schemes) that we’re doing, I think it’s going to be a boost of energy to the four-man rush. He’s coming from a long career of a four-man rush over a tight front and he’s coming to a multiple front and scheme blitz pattern type defense. It’s been a change for him and the way he’s handled it has been phenomenal…. The guy’s got a (spin move) nobody can match. It’s remarkable. But his ability to get up the field is what sets it up and nobody has got a better spin move than him.”

Another guy impressing Johnson is Butler, his fellow linebacker who he thinks is in for a big year.

“In my opinion there are three or four guys on this defense that if they had the pub or if we had a playoff run they would be Pro-Bowl caliber players,” he said. “And Donald Butler is one of those guys. He has not skipped a beat coming from his production last year and I think it is going to be a big year for him. (When) we win some games, people are going to know about that guy.”

Johnson also named Liuget and Kendall Reyes as young up and comers who in his eyes have the potential to be Pro Bowl players. While they appreciate the kind words, according to Reyes, they are going to keep their head down and continue to work hard.

“I appreciate the love, but I’m just trying to do the best I can for this team so we can win games,” said Reyes. “I’m just trying to win games and go as far as we can this year…I definitely feel a little bit more comfortable just the fact of not being a rookie. I kind of know what to expect. But with that being said, I definitely have to set the bar higher and achieve more this year. So I’m definitely looking forward to getting after it and to grow as a player.”

The Bolts defense also boasts tremendous depth, with less heralded guys like Larry English making waves, poised to make an impact on game day as well.

“Larry is very, very talented,” said Te’o. “In college, I didn’t get a chance to pay as much attention to the NFL. I was doing the Notre Dame thing. I knew the big names that everyone else knows about, but I didn’t know much about Larry. But he’s technically sound and is very, very talented. Overall we have a very good defense and I’m excited about this season.”
          I've been fairly vocal about my thoughts on the D. They can carry this team and help us win some ball games this season. We can potentially have 5-6 pro bowlers out of the D alone. The revamped secondary will be the key. We are likely a year away, but this is by far the unit I'm most excited to see develop.

(yes I know it's a polyanna spin by the chargers)

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If AJ was not taking personel imput from Norv and Pegano, it could just be that they are now and we see the defence Pegano wants to play. More attacking more press coverage, but was not given the personel to make work, or was not alowed to by his head coach...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Iowachargers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Dow City, Iowa
              • Send PM

Does anybody else think weddle got clipped? I have always thought so.

Comment

• Boltdog
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Lunar Surface
                • Nutrition Consultant
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                Moving away from the 4th and 29 play...

I've been fairly vocal about my thoughts on the D. They can carry this team and help us win some ball games this season. We can potentially have 5-6 pro bowlers out of the D alone. The revamped secondary will be the key. We are likely a year away, but this is by far the unit I'm most excited to see develop.

(yes I know it's a polyanna spin by the chargers)
                Just a matter if they all can stay healthy at the same time, since our depth is always suspect. Think I might wait to boost Manti at least until he can get back on the field and make a tackle. With that sprained foot of his, he might be joining Floyd sitting out the rest of the preseason....
                Last edited by Boltdog; 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM.
                Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

The teams to uiet about Te'os foot. He will miss more time than expected imo.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

What do you imagine Teo imagines that time frame to be?
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Day to day.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                      X