• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Surprisingly we were not bottom 5 in hurries last year:
    I'm guessing we were at 6th or 7th worst...

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm guessing we were at 6th or 7th worst...
      OL is one issue...but quality of the QB is a major issue..... the ones with best grades, either have a great QB or an extremely mobile QB.... the ones rated worst have bad QB'ing..... DaK was out for season so they sucked at QB too....

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

OL is one issue...but quality of the QB is a major issue..... the ones with best grades, either have a great QB or an extremely mobile QB.... the ones rated worst have bad QB'ing..... DaK was out for season so they sucked at QB too....
        To be fair, Dak got lost for the season is the Cowboys' FIFTH game. Any way you slice it, the 'boys had Prescott for more than 25% of the season.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Good point. I noticed that on many occasions, even though Herbie got hurried, he was still able to unload the rock at the last moment, and avoid a ton of sacks that would have easily happened with PR...

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Good point. I noticed that on many occasions, even though Herbie got hurried, he was still able to unload the rock at the last moment, and avoid a ton of sacks that would have easily happened with PR...
            Herbert is a gem. Intelligence, strength, athleticism, vision. He made some great throws in less than optimal conditions.
            I liked him in the draft but was shocked to see how good he actually was.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Herbert is a gem. Intelligence, strength, athleticism, vision. He made some great throws in less than optimal conditions.
              Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

As a Ducks fan I watched Herbert all four years and I thought he was a good prospect, but I never expected what he did last year. He is a better pro than he was in college. His footwork is way better and that affects his throws. I couldn't be happier for Justin and the Bolts. Good years ahead!

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                An average RB can look like a superstar behind a great OL.
                Remember C. Portis in DEN ?
                Remember Lawrence McCutcheon, an absolutely AVERAGE back, behind that killer Rams line in the 70's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Remember Lawrence McCutcheon, an absolutely AVERAGE back, behind that killer Rams line in the 70's?
                  McCutcheon was named to 5 straight Pro Bowl teams and had rock solid stats. He was pretty good.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

McCutcheon was named to 5 straight Pro Bowl teams and had rock solid stats. He was pretty good.
                    He was good, but not great. Good for gains between 3-10 yds. or so, sometimes a bit more, but usually too slow to break off any runs more than 40 yds. or so, much less to take it to the house. Had McCutcheon not been running behind that stellar Rams line of Slater, Mack, Harrah, France, Pankey, etc., opening up Grand Canyon-sized holes for him, his stats probably never would have been the same. But he proves my point that a solid O-line makes an average RB look great...
                    Last edited by Topcat; 07-09-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

He was good, but not great. Good for gains between 3-10 yds. or so, sometimes a bit more, but usually too slow to break off any runs more than 40 yds. or so, much less to take it to the house. Had McCutcheon not been running behind that stellar Rams line of Slater, Mack, Harrah, France, Pankey, etc., opening up Grand Canyon-sized holes for him, his stats probably never would have been the same. But he proves my point that a solid O-line makes an average RB look great...
                      Just as a frame of reference about long runs:

LaDainian Tomlinson had an 11 year NFL career.

His longest run was 85 yards. The next four longest runs of his career were for 76, 73, 62 and 54 yards.

That's FIVE runs of 50+ yards, over 11 years. That doesn't really sound like a lot, does it? (Doesn't Derrick Henry come close to doing that pretty much every SEASON?)

In 2004, when LT totaled 1335 yards, his longest run all season was 42 yards.

Tomlinson was many things, but he wasn't really a 'breakaway' back in the way that Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton were. .

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Just as a frame of reference about long runs:

LaDainian Tomlinson had an 11 year NFL career.

His longest run was 85 yards. The next four longest runs of his career were for 76, 73, 62 and 54 yards.

That's FIVE runs of 50+ yards, over 11 years. That doesn't really sound like a lot, does it? (Doesn't Derrick Henry come close to doing that pretty much every SEASON?)

In 2004, when LT totaled 1335 yards, his longest run all season was 42 yards.

Tomlinson was many things, but he wasn't really a 'breakaway' back in the way that Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton were. .
                        Okay, good point there, Quack. Here's how I would compare the two:

LT was an elite RB who had a mostly good, at times elite O-line. Hardwick, Dielman and McNeill were pro-bowlers, but McNeill's career was shortened by his stenosis condition. Goff was pretty solid. Olivea was decent for a season or two, then had drug issues. Clary was barely average, and poor in pass pro.

McCutcheon was an average, at times slightly above average RB who was running behind that elite O-line of Slater, Harrah, Mack, France and Pankey. All pro-bowlers except for Pankey, who was still pretty solid.

LT was elite. McCutcheon was average to good, but that line made him very good to great.
                        Last edited by Topcat; 07-09-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Ouf ! In 1970, I was only 6 years old !
                          How was the WAS OL with J. Riggens ?

Comment

Working...
                          X