• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

WR is the position with the best depth on this team. Hitting on two UDFA's last year was a big deal for our WR group.

Since we'll have some pre-season games this year we should get to see some more of Hill and Reed. Based off of last year I don't really feel I know much about either of them.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post
      Chargers were 27th in punt returns in 2020 with 5.6 yard ave.
      Does that include negative yds for penalties?
      Our K / P return teams have lacked unit discipline. It's hard for a returner to shine when his teammates on the return unit are blowing their responsibilities.
      Coach Swinton HAS to get that squared away.
      Do that and we'll be better. Maybe even good.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        WR is the position with the best depth on this team. Hitting on two UDFA's last year was a big deal for our WR group.

Since we'll have some pre-season games this year we should get to see some more of Hill and Reed. Based off of last year I don't really feel I know much about either of them.
        Yeah, we didn't see nearly as much of Hill and Reed as we all thought we would this time last year. And I think the two UDFAs who rose up had something to do with that. Reed is a big mystery. He got replaced as a returner, and he did nothing as a WR, which makes me shake my head. If you watch his college highlights he shows some skills as a WR, in addition to his return abilities. Maybe his WR route running is atrocious, I don't know. I also wonder if his failure to progress last season was in part a failure of the coaching. I was really surprised when Adderly bumped him out of his return role, but I was equally surprised at how well Adderly performed as a returner. Hill started to show some of the skills that made him so successful at Ohio State. I think he has potential as a "possession" receiver, a guy who develops as a route runner and uses those skills to get open. I think Reed and Hill still have potential, but I also see one of them being a casualty of the depth on the roster at WR. With 5 spots spoken for (Allen, Williams, Johnson, Guyton, Palmer) that only leaves one WR spot open if they go with only 6. They did carry 7 WR on the roster for a time after they brought up Tyron Johnson, but eventually dropped Jason Moore. If they decide to relegate Reed or Hill to the PS, they have to clear waivers first, and I think there is a good chance either would be grabbed by another team.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Id guess one will go to the PS as we arent keeping 7 WRs , probably not even 6 but Reed can play RB as well. TC and preseason will be interesting.

I like Tyron to make a bigger leap this season and jump Guyton on the depth chart. Both are young and have room to improve.
          We will keep 6 WRs since we’re deep with talent and having the personnel to work the groupings we’re going to deploy.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

That nexgen stat quoted is absolutely ridiculous. Is it an average that is highly skewed by one or a few blown coverages? Being open once by 40 yards really excuse that stat.

I will take the guy that moves the chains better than any other receiver in the NFL and is good for 100 catches a year every year no matter how they defend him. 623 catches in his first 100 games, the most all time in first 100 games. That's great production for not getting elite speration. Hahahaha.

Comment

• DragonIce
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2021
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
              Does that include negative yds for penalties?
              Our K / P return teams have lacked unit discipline. It's hard for a returner to shine when his teammates on the return unit are blowing their responsibilities.
              Coach Swinton HAS to get that squared away.
              Do that and we'll be better. Maybe even good.
              No, it doesn't include penalties. Just average yard per return for official plays when there wasn't fair catch or penalty.

Comment

• DragonIce
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                That nexgen stat quoted is absolutely ridiculous. Is it an average that is highly skewed by one or a few blown coverages? Being open once by 40 yards really excuse that stat.

I will take the guy that moves the chains better than any other receiver in the NFL and is good for 100 catches a year every year no matter how they defend him. 623 catches in his first 100 games, the most all time in first 100 games. That's great production for not getting elite speration. Hahahaha.

The NextGen Separation Stat doesn't claim to be any definitive measurement of a receiver. It's just useful data when evaluated in context. As we discussed some receivers can thrive w/out much separation.

That said, if a QB has receivers running free, be it through scheme, track speed, route-running magic, or explosive cuts...it's going to make an offense better. (If they can catch!)

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Agree..... this may be best group we have had since Air Coryell days..... especially in terms of numbers of playmakers.....

I have a strong feeling Palmer is going to be a very good NFL WR and he was likely drafted as future MW replacement..... If MW has a healthy awesome year, I doubt we could afford to resign him.....

Reed is another guy who has size, speed, and he is 225+ lbs so maybe he could move to RB..... as well as being an all purpose RB/WR/KR.....

I also love Tyron and his potential..... not only is he quick and fast, but he out jumped multiple bigger defenders and took ball away..... which shows he has some of that Tyreek Hill toughness......

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Reed is another guy who has size, speed, and he is 225+ lbs so maybe he could move to RB..... as well as being an all purpose RB/WR/KR.....

Reed was a running back/return man in college. He was a projection as a wideout in the NFL. Who would you cut to give Reed a roster spot as a RB?

He clearly didn't impress anyone in practice... At least, not enough to get snaps ahead of Guyton and Johnson.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Reed was a running back/return man in college. He was a projection as a wideout in the NFL. Who would you cut to give Reed a roster spot as a RB?

He clearly didn't impress anyone in practice... At least, not enough to get snaps ahead of Guyton and Johnson.
                      Reed is on the bubble...I'm guessing he gets cut, unless he's PS eligible...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Actually inaccurate. He has 124 receptions and only 34 rushes in college. Senior season, 77 catches, 8 rushes .
                        He was more a WR, sometime RB.
                        Most rushes he had in a season was 21 as a Soph. Single digits every other year.

Doesn't mean he can't play RB, he has some elusiveness

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Reed is on the bubble...I'm guessing he gets cut, unless he's PS eligible...
                          I'm thinking he has a better chance than Hill to make it but we'll see.
                          Can't judge by rookie seasons if they didn't do much. Both were lower round picks.

Comment

Working...
                          X