• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    With that in mind, why wasn't this taken care of right after the season ended? Presumably that would have cleared a little more cap space, in a surplus year, for FA negotiations. Maybe some of the FA's TT pursued wouldn't have got away. Hell, it was mentioned on this board many times by different posters and if Weddle's camp was so willing, then it seems like a boneheaded move on TT's part to push it down the priority list. Honestly, with a willing and prideful player like Weddle how long do you think the negotiations would have taken? How much of TT's time would have been occupied? "I'm focusing on the draft" sounds like a petty excuse to me.
    My understanding is that some of the guys we targeted that went elsewhere took less money to do so. I am not aware of any cap restrictions that prevented acquisitions.

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Man, the Chargers are losing me with this shizzle....

Just freaking pay Rivers & Weddle already!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

TT and MM are focused on winning now. That's incompatible with trading one of the best QBs in the game for a rookie.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          So what do you think the Chargers can get from Tennesee in a package deal for Rivers, Gates, and Weddle?
          Tennesee's 2nd-round choice (if you listen to the Titan fans).

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
            Focus on the draft first. There is lots of time to do an extension after that and before mini camp.
            I agree with your statement (in another post) that this is another Acee stir-the-pot piece in the dead time of the off-season. However, surely the Chargers have more than enough staff on hand to multi-task the Draft and one (more) contract extension, no? And the article seemed to imply that the extension could actually give the team MORE money to play with this off-season.

The Chargers have been this off-season's biggest news maker in the NFL - by far - if you ask me:

1) The move to LA
            2) Rivers' contract
            3) The Rivers Trade
            4) Gates wanting LESS playing time
            5) Weddle's contract

Hardly a day has gone by in March/April when SOMETHING Charger-related hasn't been front and center.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

I would imagine the Chargers have to get Rivers situation figured out first.

It's not that they don't want to get a deal done with Weddle, but PR is going to be more expensive, and he has said he doesn't want an extension yet. So, this could be a difficult.

I agree that this is the mountain and mole hill discussion.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The big thing that evidently has really pissed off Weddle and his agent is that the team won't even return their phone calls. If the plan really is to wait until after the draft to address extensions, they could have the courtesy to let Weddle and his agent know that. And since they approached Rivers about an extension already and not Weddle, I can see how he could take that wrong.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  The big thing that evidently has really pissed off Weddle and his agent is that the team won't even return their phone calls. If the plan really is to wait until after the draft to address extensions, they could have the courtesy to let Weddle and his agent know that. And since they approached Rivers about an extension already and not Weddle, I can see how he could take that wrong.
                  That was the point I was going to make....the team has apparently had no interest in extending him. They are not saying we will work on it later they are saying that they have no interest in doing so while Weddle has been expressing interest.

The only reason I see for that is perhaps Telesco is not the biggest Weddle fan....I don't recall him ever talking about Weddle and his big contract was done before TT got here....maybe he thinks that money is best spent elsewhere on other positions
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                    That was the point I was going to make....the team has apparently had no interest in extending him. They are not saying we will work on it later they are saying that they have no interest in doing so while Weddle has been expressing interest.

The only reason I see for that is perhaps Telesco is not the biggest Weddle fan....I don't recall him ever talking about Weddle and his big contract was done before TT got here....maybe he thinks that money is best spent elsewhere on other positions

A contract extension is not imminent for either player, Telesco said Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. There is no rush. It could be a matter of months and conceivably not by the season's start before any such deal is reached.

Free agency begins March 10. The draft is April 30.

Those matters are more immediate.

Telesco said extensions for Weddle and Rivers "not necessarily" would ideally be done before the September start of the regular season.

"We've got enough cap room to do what we need to do," Telesco said. "It's not like we need to create space. But those are guys that we know we'd like to (go) long term with. We'll see at the appropriate time when we address those."

Telesco is on the clock elsewhere.
                    ------
                    He is on record of expressing that much in January regarding Rivers, saying the team is "committed to make sure Philip retires a Charger." On Wednesday, he expressed a similar sentiment with Weddle.

"He is a huge player for us," Telesco said. "He has been for a long time and hopefully will be for a long time, looking forward. He played at a very high level last year, probably played at a higher level than he did the year before, and I think he has a lot of great football ahead of him; he keeps himself in great shape. He's a student of the game. He's a great example for our young guys.

"Both those guys, those are guys we want as Chargers for a long time."

Ensuring that may not come soon.
                    ----------------------------------------

Yeah, hes not a Weddle fan...

Weddle needs to quit being sensitive like he always is whenever something doesn't go his way (see his interviews after a loss and how defensive he gets)

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

There's probably a safety that Indy doesn't want anymore that he covets.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                        Yeah, hes not a Weddle fan...

Weddle needs to quit being sensitive like he always is whenever something doesn't go his way (see his interviews after a loss and how defensive he gets)
                        Well sounds like Telesco wants Weddle but extending him now is not a priority then.

Weddle doesn't like not being a priority I guess, it makes him feel disrespected.

Skipping voluntary workouts when you are not happy isn't a big deal especially in this situation.
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• captaind
                          Cook This Pork Chops
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Mars
                          • Ball Holder
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                          Doesn't it sound like Franchise suicide thou?
                          And hiring Norv wasn't?

Comment

Working...
                          X